PDA

View Full Version : Tight Bolt carrier

Musibike
02-20-2005, 03:22 PM
On a brand new GALIL assembly, is the bolt carrier supposed to move with a lot resistance in the receiver? Mine sticks in the receiver when it is moved back. Will this work itself out with wear. Can I just cycle the carrier enough, clean it then it will be OK?

:cool

Musibike
02-23-2005, 01:29 PM
I just worked the hell out of the action by hand. Got some exercise. It loosened it up to operate. But, now the trigger LOCKS when it is pushed to one side or the other. Are there supposed to be some spacers or shims to limit the trigger from sliding to one sire or the other? At least the gun will work now I figure. Gonna run some round through it this weekend to make sure no other problems exist in it.

darkest2000
02-28-2005, 02:29 AM
is this a ORF Galil?

Musibike
02-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes, it is from ORF.

Do you have one too?

Originally posted by darkest2000
is this a ORF Galil?

darkest2000
02-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Musibike
Yes, it is from ORF.

Do you have one too?

No I do not, it's just that lately I've been hearing a lot of screwy things about ORF Galils.

At first I find it hard to believe since almost everybody have nothing but good things to say about ORF and their product, I don't know if this applies to all ORF receivers or just a particular batch, but there seems to be various errors in the machining of the receivers. I am not sure if they themselves are aware of the problems, but at least one major reputatble builder (ARS) has stated that they would not work on an ORF Galil receiver again, now that's a pretty extreme statement.

That said, you should contact ORF and see what they think, I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to make it right.

Musibike
02-28-2005, 07:09 PM
I talked to them on the phone yesterday. Then, I also called TAPCO today. I described the trigger and what was happening. They think there might might be a defective run of triggers.

This trigger slides back and forth on a little tube that is held in place by the mounting pin that is attached to the receiver. TAPCO says it is not supposed to do that.

ORF says they have another one on the way to me now as of Friday. I will swap these out and check the gun out real good to make sure there is not something else wrong with it.

I am surprised the gun came to me for the most part UNTESTED. But, if they will support me with the parts and advice, I will not send the gun back. I get to learn the gun this way.

Neo
02-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Musibike,

I have almost a thousand rounds threw my ORF Galil and love it. Trigger pull on my ARM is SWEET! Also, is very accurate. Action is very smooth. I just have to be careful when ejecting live rounds from the chamber, will use right hand to slide bolt back and the damn round always hit my right hand/ring finger/knuckle.....OUCH, bruised the hell out of it twice.....oh well

Sounds like ORF is taking care of you. Keep us posted.

Musibike
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Is the trigger in your GALIL a TAPCO? ORF sent me another TAPCO trigger exactly the same as the one which is in the gun to start with. I talked to one of them and learned that this is the wrong trigger for this receiver.:heavy

There is supposed to be a better trigger they are going to send me next. I hope it works!

Was your GALIL out of Orin Harding's last group buy?:cool

Neo
02-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Not sure about the trigger assembly. Will have to look into, but, what ever it is, it's a very smooth pull, maybe three pounds.

I didn't do the group buy, bought directly from ORF.

Musibike
03-01-2005, 12:21 PM
ORF says the TAPCO trigger is the wrong one for the receiver. They apologized and said they would send me another type trigger.

SO, I will wait for it and see if it works. If not, I am going to pack the whole thing up and ship it back.

:(

Illya Kuryakin
03-02-2005, 12:14 AM
The tightness seems to be quite common on ORF Galil clone. Contributors appear to be high bullet guide rivet and close clearances between rotating bolt lugs and receiver lugs.

Signs of rivet interference range from the obvious scuff marks on rivet head to metal marks on left side of receiver near bullet guide bolt ramp.

stymie
03-02-2005, 02:47 AM
Illya...

Don't mean to hijack the thread... BUT
Check out my latest project....

Illya Kuryakin
03-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Egads !! I've been found out. All I can say is I give up - U.N.C.L.E.
:D

Musibike
03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
I have worked it out from being so tight. I like that it is nice and solid. It just needs some more though when it gets used maybe this weekend if it ever stops raining?

The trigger deal is the problem I hope is just a matter of replacing the trigger from a TAPCO to on that ORF says is a much nicer one. It is supposed to be wider on the inside to keep it from sliding on the little tube.

If the trigger works I will be OK with the rifle. The company I work for tries to send stuff out the door not tested too. I guess this is just a mentality which prevails now a days? But, that ends up costing you more $$ in the long run.

Originally posted by Illya Kuryakin
The tightness seems to be quite common on ORF Galil clone. Contributors appear to be high bullet guide rivet and close clearances between rotating bolt lugs and receiver lugs.

Signs of rivet interference range from the obvious scuff marks on rivet head to metal marks on left side of receiver near bullet guide bolt ramp.

Illya Kuryakin
03-02-2005, 12:55 PM
I originally tried to work out the resistance of the bolt/carrier by much cycling of the carrier. It eventually helped some but was no where near as smooth as it should be. After many attempts in cycling the bolt/carrier, I performed detail inspection of assy to find worn spots. From there I worked the rivet surface, and sloped areas of the bolt lugs a bit. After about 30 minutes of slowly working the areas with cycling trials in between and frequent inspections, the bolt/carrier now cycles very smoothly with no slop. Now, it functions exactly how a milled receiver AK should - very smooth and sound

BTW - mine headspaces perfectly for a new build (closes on Go gauge with moderate thumb pressure)

Musibike
03-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Mine is tight when I take out the trigger assy. The hammer rests against the ejector so it is out of the way. The carrier rails are tighter in the rear end of the receiver.

I am going to take the gun apart again to drop in the new ORF trigger. Gonna cycle it a few times and blow all of the stuff out of the receiver with an air hose.

I think after I run a couple boxes of ammo through there, all will be just fine?

Originally posted by Illya Kuryakin
I originally tried to work out the resistance of the bolt/carrier by much cycling of the carrier. It eventually helped some but was no where near as smooth as it should be. After many attempts in cycling the bolt/carrier, I performed detail inspection of assy to find worn spots. From there I worked the rivet surface, and sloped areas of the bolt lugs a bit. After about 30 minutes of slowly working the areas with cycling trials in between and frequent inspections, the bolt/carrier now cycles very smoothly with no slop. Now, it functions exactly how a milled receiver AK should - very smooth and sound

BTW - mine headspaces perfectly for a new build (closes on Go gauge with moderate thumb pressure)

Illya Kuryakin
03-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Here's a thread going on over at AR-15 on ORF receivers. Have you checked to see that your rails are parallel. I don't have that particular problem.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=92&t=68980

The problem I was encountering was when the bolt/bolt carrier was engaging the receiver lugs on the front end of the receiver

Sounds like the problem you're seeing it exclusive to the carrier fit to the receiver - more particularily the rear end of the receiver. Have you checked the width of the carrier rails on the receiver and compared to the width of the slot on the carrier? How about the thinckness of the two. Sounds like you might have some binding occuring

Musibike
03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I have decided to retyrn the ORF GALIL. I dot the second trigger from ORF. But, I would have to file out the trigger port a good bit for it to wind up sitting in there correctly. Then, I will still need to make two spacers out of a TAPCO axis trigger tube to still keep it centered in the receiver and not jam.

I took the gun out to a place to try it. I ran a round through it. The carrier still hang stuck in the open position. I forced the carrier closed and fired one more round. It did the same thing again.

I gotta send this baby back. It is not right. It is not a kit. Paid too much $$ for it to be like this.

:heavy

Illya Kuryakin
03-06-2005, 04:02 PM
They should fix it, make it right and give you what you paid for. Let us know how it all turns out.

Musibike
03-14-2005, 04:23 PM
The GALIL was sent back to ORF today. I think it will be looked after by TODD himself. He sent me a paid shipping form to send back on. So, it looks like they are going to make it right. This rifle got past him and was shipped non functional. :(

I will play with my UZI until it gets back home. :cool

davekr
04-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Since these Galils are basically custom made one at a time, the manufacturer should be test firing each one before they are shipped to the customer. That only makes sense. The result of not doing so is obvious.

Musibike
04-17-2005, 02:58 PM
I got the ORF GALIL back this week. Opened up the carrying case to find what looks like a replaced receiver. A little safety/fire selector switch is added and some paint markings were added to lable the positions.

The trigger problem is completely fixed. It does not get stuck when pushed to either side.

The carrier moves a lot better. However, if you pull it back real slow it still sticks in the open position. But, not nearly as tight as before. This may work out with some use.

I am going to take this gun to the range next week and run some caps through it.
I will let you know how it does.

:50_cal