PDA

View Full Version : How to turn a Glock into an SBR?

gunbunny
04-27-2005, 07:26 PM
I think the Subject header explains my question- How do I legally attach a stock to my Glock 22? Is it just a matter of $200.00 and the paperwork? I live in PA...

drw
04-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Use ATF form 1 to describe the intended change and to list the firearm in the NFA registry. Enclose the print cards, photo's, CLEO signature if you are not an officer in the corporation and your $200.00. Wait for your approved form to be returned and then you are required to permanently attach a stock suitable for use from the shoulder.

gunbunny
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Permanently? That sounds a little... Uh, permanent!! That would be hard to do to a Glock; If you glue the stock into the mainspring well, you could never get back into it if you needed to change the spring! No wonder you don't see this type of alteration floating around the range.

I'd rather get another UZI and chamber it in .40 S&W.

Thanks for the info!

drw
04-27-2005, 08:21 PM
The attachment method doesn't necessarily have to be glued,,, most stocks are retained with screws. Permanently attached so that it isn't easily removed. :D It is a cool thing to have the stock and a verticle forgrip. Note: the verticle foregrip is not allowed on a handgun/pistol. The verticle foregrip may be added to a MG, title I rifle, SBR, shotguns and AOW's.

Brian Ski
04-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by drw
Use ATF form 1 to describe the intended change and to list the firearm in the NFA registry. Enclose the print cards, photo's, CLEO signature if you are not an officer in the corporation and your $200.00. Wait for your approved form to be returned and then you are required to permanently attach a stock suitable for use from the shoulder.

DRW... How sure are you on that??? I honestly have no idea.... I remember quite a while back that some company was selling removable stocks for 1911 style 45s... But then I haven't seen them lately... Nor have I looked...

drw
04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
A title I conversion using a 16" minimum barrel and a stock long enough to make 26" minimum, overall length is an option, however, the original question concerned SBR's.

There are Curio and Relic registered handguns where a stock is permissible, however, it will be many years before the Glock is listed as C + R.

stymie
04-27-2005, 09:43 PM
...when SBR'd!

Here's a nice telescopic stock for a camera... lol.

YES... it has other uses as well!
;)

http://store.botachtactical.com/tacbs.html

http://us.st3.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/botach_1843_23563997

Brian Ski
04-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by drw
A title I conversion using a 16" minimum barrel and a stock long enough to make 26" minimum, overall length is an option, however, the original question concerned SBR's.

I understand... Maybe the stock deal I am thinking of came as a package with an extra length barrel...

CIB
04-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Where/how the hell would you engrave your name, city and state? I have a hard enough time with that on metal guns!

stymie
04-28-2005, 12:30 AM
NFA Branch allowed be to engrave my stock!

You CAN abbreviate using just your initials.

:)

montana_jeepn
04-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Does the stock have to be permanent????? I have an SBS (short barrel shotgun) and I was under the impression that I could legally put a pistol grip on it instead of the stock if I wanted to. I've seen a couple SxS shotguns with only a pistol grip for sale that were also registered as SBS's.

Can anyone cite some offical gouge on the matter? Thanks.

CIB
04-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah, you can put a pistol grip on your SBS shotgun. While I'm thinking about this, does being registered as an SBS allow you to swap between configurations of being an SBS or AOW?

montana_jeepn
04-29-2005, 09:10 AM
My understanding:

SBR/SBS - can have any length barrel (long or short) and any type stock (pistol or full butt-stock) Although you may have a full-length barrel and a full-stock, it is still a registered weapon no matter what configuration it is in until you have it removed from the registry.

AOW - Must be built on a virgin receiver that has never been built into a rifle. Once registered as an AOW, you can never attach a stock. However, you can register a pistol as an AOW (SP-89 in a briefcase, SP-89 with forward grip, etc). Once a stock has been attached, it can never go back. Once it is an AOW, you can never attach a stock.

To my knowledge, you can register a pistol as an SBR, and then take off the stock and carry it in your holster. However, it's status does not change. It is still an SBR. (even if it doesn't have a stock attached)

gunbunny
04-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Here's a side question; If I can remove the stock from my SBR registered Glock, and I remove it for the weekend, would that get me in trouble (intent rule) by having my other Glocks around? I have a couple of them... Kinda like having a registered M-16 with an AR-15 in the same household?

MuzzleFlash
04-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Brian

I think tou have the SBR correct. For instance, on the matter of AR15 pistols, the ATFE has taken the position that a receiver that is not virgin (one that has at some time in its history had a rifle stock) cannot be assembled into a pistol configuration without first obtaining an approved form 1 as an SBR.

If you assembled such a receiver on a Form 1, there would be no stock, yet it is a registered SBR. Obvoiusly, you could add a stock and be compliant with the law, but your point about the stock being optional remains.

MuzzleFlash
04-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by gunbunny
Here's a side question; If I can remove the stock from my SBR registered Glock, and I remove it for the weekend, would that get me in trouble (intent rule) by having my other Glocks around? I have a couple of them... Kinda like having a registered M-16 with an AR-15 in the same household? I would guess that the principle of lenity as espoused in the T/C case would apply. However, remember that the ATF/DOJ fought that one to the SCOTUS and they could dig in their heels with you too (by saying your situation is different since there are other guns involved).

gunbunny
04-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Why can't anything be simple?

I guess the trick is to make the stock permenant (like DRW said), and never take it off.

Ed
04-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Once you get the legalities and proper ATFE approval here is the product you might want to get.... look under glock or stock accesories... www.makosecurity.com