PDA

View Full Version : which is the most desired 308 galil ?

chrisp929
09-01-2005, 11:53 PM
just wonderin .. i may sell a gun to afford some of a galil 308 .. been dying for one for ever and i want to kno which is the one everyone wants ..

Neo
09-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Chris,

I would say the ARM models. Not sure on the model #'s and some having the "S"???.

Just get a .308 ARM. Bi-pod & carring handle include. AR model doesn't include these cool features.

just my .02 cents

grassyknoll
09-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Well, if you liked Way of the Gun, then you must have an ARM. :D

Oswald2001
09-04-2005, 08:08 PM
I have a .223 ARM and a .308 ARM so I may be viewed as less than objective.

But, I have to say that your best bet is the ARM.

The bipod is capable of use as a wire-cutter and a bottle opener! :cool

That's what cinched it for me! ;)

suka5168
09-04-2005, 09:15 PM
I think Elvis has a special one he bought from someone here. Made it in just before the ban.....
But ARM do have a higher value.

I've got a 308 AR but always wanted another one in 223.

Oswald2001
09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Since I have the ARM's, I have always wanted to have a couple of AR's.

My absolute very favorite gun of all time is...the next one. :D

Cerberus36
09-05-2005, 03:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/gunplumber/guns/100_6156.jpg
I prefer the 332 ARM for looks....but for carrying around I'll take the 329 AR

had to throw in My .223 SAR for the hell of it..its an older pic..I have a solid wood stock on the ARM now
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/gunplumber/guns/100_6407.jpg

1919A6
10-20-2005, 10:35 PM
The only Bi-poded rifles you see being used by Those in Harms Way are Scoped Sniper rifles.

Neither the 308 or 223 Galil fits the bill as a Sniper rifle.

Good rifles when clean - you want wire cutters, buy a pair of plyers.

Oswald2001
10-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Bipoded rifles can be useful for civilians that are restricted to semi-auto only. Bipods are very helpful in a suppressive fire mode with a semi. Definitely. Greatly aids in accuracy.

FAL's, M-14's and G3's have bipods on some models.

ARM's, FAL's, M-14's and G3's have been used quite extensively by "Those in Harms Way".

"Sniper rifle? Sniper rifle? We don't have to show you no stinkin' sniper rifle."

No one suggested that either ARM was a sniper rifle...

Hey, I wanted wire cutters and a bottle opener. :cool

Now as far as buying plyers...

The gas blocks on my Galils weren't the proper kind for the mounting of plyers. They did fit the bipods quite well though. :D

1919A6
10-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Suppressive fire

Whose yous goin' to get to RESUPPLY you, yous goin' to have one really expensive club that really don't work that well as a club.

Yeah, bipod are found on those rifles.

Oswald2001
10-21-2005, 08:03 AM
1919A6,

ARM's, FAL's, M-14's and G3's all had to be RESUPPLIED too.

Especially the ones with bipods since they functioned as SAW's.

Oh, and I forgot BAR's and RPK's (including Valmets).

So, here is you saying bipods are useless on the one hand.

On the other hand...we have tens of millions of some of the best firearms ever manufactured and used by some of the best armies the world has ever seen with bipods.

Yes, ALL used by "Those in Harms Way" .

And yes ALL had to be RESUPPLIED. Which is an even more daunting task when firing full auto. Bipoded weapons, such as the above mentioned, were often employed for suppressive fire.

See, you would need ammo with a bipod or without.

If you don't like bipods, maybe you could consider not getting a bipod.

Tens of millions of first line firearms have been issued with bipods.

Maybe someone knows something you don't?

cookie
10-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by grassyknoll
Well, if you liked Way of the Gun, then you must have an ARM. :D

There's some good firearms handling in that movie.

1919A6
10-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Am I missing something here?

Supressive fire and bipoded FAs of all types are not what an individual would have or necessarily need or want.

Yes, I'm not keen on using bipods, I have them and have used them - occasionally and then end up under the bench again.

They are ackward, heavy, generally a nuisance.

You haven't given much attention to my user name. The M1919A6 Browning Machine Gun was a product mod for use from a Bipod using a shoulder butt stock. I find that the shoulder butt stock was a vast improvement when used off a tripod, the bipod mounted gun maginally more tactical and certainly less accurate. I would not have a plain M1919A4, I like the A6 with its bipod!

Oswald2001
10-22-2005, 08:25 AM
1919A6,

"Am I missing something here?"

Yes. Apparently so.

"Yes, I'm not keen on using bipods, I have them and have used them - occasionally and then end up under the bench again."

So, why have them or use them at all? You are not consistent.

"They are ackward, heavy, generally a nuisance."

That's your opinion. Certainly not everyone else's, thus the tens of millions of bipoded weapons over the decades.
And yet you have them... You are not consistent.

"You haven't given much attention to my user name. The M1919A6 Browning Machine Gun was a product mod for use from a Bipod using a shoulder butt stock. I find that the shoulder butt stock was a vast improvement when used off a tripod, the bipod mounted gun maginally more tactical and certainly less accurate. I would not have a plain M1919A4, I like the A6 with its bipod! "

I wasn't paying any attention to your screen name. My screen name doesn't mean I have sniped any presidents or appeared as a character on the Drew Carey show. So, what's in a name?

The logic in comments speak far more loudly than any assumed Net persona. So far, you appear to me to have been inconsistent and illogical. That's what I paid attention to.

With this last comment, I notice that you are back to liking bipods. Again, you are not consistent.

And yes, the whole world knows what a 1919A6 is.

"Supressive fire and bipoded FAs of all types are not what an individual would have or necessarily need or want."

Yet you CLAIM you have a 1919A6. See...inconsisent.

I was in LA during the riots. I had a .223 Galil ARM with about 5,000 rounds of ammo.
I drove by a crowd of a couple hundred people that were in the process of running off two petrified shotgun toting police officers. As soon as they did this, they looted and then burned 12 businesses.
This was 2 blocks from my house.

Now, I had numerous guns. So, why choose the Galil?

SUPRESSIVE FIRE, that's why. The ARM has a bipod which greatly helps maintain accuracy during supressive fire. If that crowd had shifted and gone a couple of blocks North rather than South, I would likely have stood a very, very good chance. I wasn't too worried because I was prepared.

Supressive fire is what this individual necessarily needed and wanted.

This type of situtation is rare, but when you are in the middle of it, the rarity of the situation is not foremost in your mind.

I imagine a lot of the New Orleans evacuees can understand what I am talking about.

BTW, I noticed you have dropped your "Those In Harm's Way" argument.

AND the supposed sniper argument.

AND the RESUPPLY argument. Gee whiz, your 1919A6 needs to be resupplied.

Oh no, wait...you can't resupply a 1919A6...'cause it has a bipod.

If bipods didn't have a use, they wouldn't have manufactured TENS OF MILLIONS of them in countries all around the world for decades.

Next, I suppose you will argue against weapons having barrels since they make the weapon unneccesarily front-heavy.

ELVIS
10-22-2005, 10:56 AM
You will have to ask Hud33 about the one I had..As I sold it. It was a late SPRINFIELD import I believe. ARM stamped SRCH/RSCU or some crap like that. I think the major diffrence was the beefed up receiver, VERY light trigger, and I cant remember if Hud33 sold me the Nimrod scope and fact mount or I got it from Mikie G. Anyway it was a cool rifle. Took lots of deer with that thing. Most reliable semi rifle I have ever owned.

1919A6
10-22-2005, 11:14 PM
To the facts:

You have stated a couple times that "tens of millions" have been equiped with bipods.

If that is a correct quote that you have made, then I submit the following -

Upwards of 40 Million AK-47s have been made, I don't think too many if any have BIPODs;

14 million Kar 98 were made for the Wermacht, I don't think too many if any of those had BIPODs;

there were at least 4 million, maybe more, M1 Garands made and there were some experimental bipods made for them;

the Swiss Stg 57 was a 20 pound issue rifle for the Swiss Army and I do believe each one was equiped with a bipod;

The FALs, Germans liked the bipod, the Brits didn't have them, Austrian I think had them - mixed bag as far as I can tell;

and the Isrealis who up-graded the AK to the Galil primarily issues the M16,

Oh yeah, the National Matches fired at Camp Perry with the Civilian version of the M16 are fired WITHOUT the bipod.

Finally, I not inconsistent - I left California for good in 1971!

Oswald2001
10-22-2005, 11:17 PM
You are still not making any sense.

Are you just being a troll?

Goodbye.

ELVIS
10-23-2005, 06:26 AM
I shot my Galil plenty of times standing, using bipod as a front grip. Plenty of HK G3s came with them as well. Ever try and shoot a RPD without one.

Oswald2001
10-23-2005, 06:41 AM
I read one time where the using the bipod as a front grip while standing or assaulting was something the Soviets used all the time with the RPKs.

Of course, with the Galil bipod you can stand, assault and open a soda pop bottle while cutting a wire fence...all at the same time. :D

That is the very definition of cool. :cool

ELVIS
10-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah I want to puke everytime I remember it aint in the safe anymore. :pissed

One of those guns that was as cool as any NFA gun I own, but at the time I needed the 3K. Damnit.

Oswald2001
10-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I have a .223 ARM and a .308 ARM and I love them.

Yet, I too, know the profound grief of one who has sold a Galil.

I sold 2 NIB .223 ARM's and couple of years ago.

I can only hope that my foolishness will be forgiven me.