PDA

View Full Version : Low capacity Galil magazines

timgunfreak
10-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Can anyone tell me what is the lowest capacity Galil magazine ever made in .223cal. Australia's latest effort at gun control is to retrict everything now to 10rds. It will not be an offence to possess a magazine with a magazine greater than 10rds. No buybacks this time round, and as usual, definately no grandfathering.

This has happen due to the recent importation of the new Remington 7615 pump action rifles, and the fact that they can use hi capacity Ar15 magazines.

My problem is I have one of the small numbers of Vektor H5's that "just" got into the country in 1997. As many of you would know, the Vektor h% is a pump action version of the Vektor R4/LM5, and uses Gaili magazines.

They were supplied with a 12rd magazine, however I have "others" :)

All the research I have done suggests the smallest Galil mag in 223 available is 12 rds.

Were they produced in a capacity lower than this?

The only other possibility that I can think of, which someone here should be able to help me with is can a 10rd 223cal AK mag fit and feed in a Galil?

I have taken the 30rd magazine off my "deactivated" AK, and it fits the Vektor H5, and the Vektor H5 magazine fits the AK

This should mean any low capacity double stack 223 AK magazine should fit the Vektor H5

Does anyone here have a 223cal mag they can check on their Galil to see if it fits?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I can get the Vektor H5 to accept a 10rd magazine, it WILL be SIEZED.

Thanks

Tim

carcass
10-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Might as well just give 'em all up now and move to New Zealand.

It's gone too far for Australians' rights to be restored through normal democratic means. I just hope it doesn't go that far here in the U.S. We have to be ever vigilant, and fight hard in the political arenas to prevent it.

timgunfreak
10-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I Can asure you when I move it wont be to NZ, it will be to the US of A

Late last year I registered an old beat up Uzi someone offered me during the "Amnesty"

No guesses for what an Australian firearms amnesty is worth

http://www.acgq.org/pages/amnesty.html

timgunfreak
10-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I Can asure you when I move it wont be to NZ, it will be to the US of A

Late last year I registered an old beat up Uzi someone offered me during the "Amnesty"

No guesses for what an Australian firearms amnesty is worth

http://www.acgq.org/pages/amnesty.html

suka5168
10-08-2005, 11:17 AM
I've never seen any 223 galil mags lower than 12rds.
Your best bet is to take the mag apart and block it.
I have done the same to my 25 rd Uzi mags etc.

Pending how the Aus law is worded ; if modified to less than 10 rds or originally 10 rd mags. On mines:
Basiclly I welded a rod to the floor plate or follower thus a 50 rd mag with the block can have a max capacity of only 10 rds.
My Ar-15 mags have a rivet on the body to prevent the follower from moving further down.

timgunfreak
10-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I forgot, blocking or crimping of magazines is prohibited as well, thats why I had to hand in my Uzi Pistol last year, couldnt get a 10rd mag in 9mm

I am just wondering if one of those Ar15 mag adapters would fit a Vektor, like they fit a Galil, I believe you can get 10rd AR15 mags??

suka5168
10-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by timgunfreak
I forgot, blocking or crimping of magazines is prohibited as well

I am just wondering if one of those Ar15 mag adapters would fit a Vektor, like they fit a Galil, I believe you can get 10rd AR15 mags??

Hmm, it fails to mention "Cutting". Cut the body down to ten and reinstall the floor plate.

Yes AR adaptors are avaliable for the Galil mag wells and does fit and operate perfectly.

timgunfreak
10-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Well it actually fails to mention anything, I "recorded" my conversation with the weapons branch, here is a part transcript on what was sai, and why the "state" doesnt allow crimping >

ME: Mmm so what happens to that weapon?

THEM: Youíre the Vektor

ME: Cause because you donít allow crimping remember? That that was in the handgun buyback

THEM: That was a commonwealth requirement

ME: Right

THEM: Again like I said the commonwealth were the ones that were screwing us and subsequently screwing you because the commonwealth wonít allow the crimping, if we allow crimping then that would be putting there for the whatever it was 650 million they paid out in compensation because that was one of their stipulations that you know unless you do it our way you donít get any of the money

Kind of says it all

Galil_Sar
10-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Can't you just take a normal 35 round magasine and make a custom follower or modify the magazinefloor so it blocks most of the mag so you can't get any more rounds in it?

Then you have a 10 round mag if you ask me...

The smallest IMI mag i have seen is a 12 round if I remember correctly, It designed for use with the rocket launcher and I think it uses spesial bullets. I'm not sure it can fire regular .223 rounds !?

Oswald2001
10-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Do NOT use a .223 AK mag in a Galil. This can be very dangerous.

I saw a picture of a transferable full auto Valmet blown to bits by using improper mags.

The angle at which .223 AK variants present the round from mag to chamber differs greatly between the variants. You can easily end up with a round at the wrong angle. The bullet can be forced back into the brass case as it is feeding. This can cause overpressure and a KABOOM!

You might find yourself with a face full of gun shards if you are not careful. It's happened more than once.

I use Galil mags ONLY in my Galils.

If it were me, I would cut down a mag to 10 round. Even if you had to weld on the bottom plate in order to meet a deadline.

Also, you can buy a Galil/M-16 mag adapter and run some AR-15 10 round mags.

After that, you can save your money and prepare to move to a free country. :cool

As I understand it, the 12 round mags were originally used for blank cartridges only as they have internal blocks to prevent using ball ammo. However, the blocks are easy to pop out. With the blocks gone, the 12 round mags easily hold standard 5.56 ball ammo.

Brian Ski
10-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by timgunfreak
I forgot, blocking or crimping of magazines is prohibited as well, thats why I had to hand in my Uzi Pistol last year, couldnt get a 10rd mag in 9mm

Ack!!!!:pound

That is really bad... Feel sorry for you guys...

timgunfreak
10-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Do NOT use a .223 AK mag in a Galil. This can be very dangerous.

I saw a picture of a transferable full auto Valmet blown to bits by using improper mags.

The angle at which .223 AK variants present the round from mag to chamber differs greatly between the variants. You can easily end up with a round at the wrong angle. The bullet can be forced back into the brass case as it is feeding. This can cause overpressure and a KABOOM!

You might find yourself with a face full of gun shards if you are not careful. It's happened more than once.

Yes I have heard that before, I remember there use to be some Valmet owners club group on the net a few years back.

Actually one of the mags I have on the Vektor is a modified Valmet mag, I had to remove the front side bracket, and the part that locks into the front of the mag well had to be raised about 5mm I think, as you can't import hi cap mags here, you have to make do with what presents itself.

Also you must remember the Vektor H5 is a pump action, not an auto.

In any case I have no problems ........yet, but as the law is changing, looks like I will have to retire the Valmet mag anyway.

The other mags I have, from left are IMI 12rd, Synthetic South African 15rd, Synthetic South African, 20rd, IMI 35rd, Synthetic South African 35rd, IMI 50rd

The law will not allow me to crimp, or block any of these magazines, so a 10rd Ak mag may be all that will save the gun, or an AR15 adapter, with 10rd AR15 mag

timgunfreak
10-10-2005, 07:37 AM
from left IMI 12rd, Synthetic South African 15rd, Synthetic South African, 20rd, IMI 35rd, Synthetic South African 35rd, IMI 50rd

Oswald2001
10-10-2005, 07:57 AM
How is your legal situation down under? I don't quite understand.

I take it that you can keep a gun as long as you have a 10 round magazine for it. Correct?

You stated " It will not be an offence to possess a magazine with a magazine greater than 10rds.".

If you can keep your existing full capacity mags, can you legally use them in the gun or must they be forever banned from use?

"Yes I have heard that before, I remember there use to be some Valmet owners club group on the net a few years back."

Yeah, it was on valmet-weapons.com. That was a cool site. Gone now.

timgunfreak
10-10-2005, 08:42 AM
OK, as confusing as it is, this is the way it works

The Vektor H5 is registered on whats called a Firearms License

Under the new proposals, and bolt action rifle over 15rds, or a pump and lever action over 10rds will be classed as Category D weapons. Category D weapons are semi auto rifles and shotguns, all of which were basically banned after 1996.

I have a Collectors License as well, endorsed with all categories of weapons, including Category D and Category R (Machineguns)

However Category D and R weapons held on a collectors license must be deactivated.

The law here is that any "major component part" of a firearm, is also considered a firearm.

The police are claiming magazines are considered "major Component Parts" of firearms

Therefore a magazine with a capacity over 15rds for a bolt action, and a magazine for a pump or lever action over 10rds would be considered a category D weapon.

HAVE I LOST YOU YET?????

I can legally possess my hi cap Galil mags on my collectors license, but as they are considered Category D weapons, and on a collectors license Category D weapons must be deactivated, the magazines would have to be deactivated.

I need a 10rd magazine for the Vektor H5 to keep the gun legal on my firearms License.

Time to move to the USA

Oswald2001
10-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Yeah, time to move. Take a shrimp off the barbie. ;)

Things work out for the best.

On to bigger and better things, mate! :D

timgunfreak
10-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Mind you it hasn't happened yet, licensees are offered the opportunity to provide "written submissions" to try and stop the change, so far no one has been sucessful, even though the law has not been passed yet, they are good at that here, using legislation that has not even been made law to stop licensees from acquiring guns.

If you or anyone else would like a copy of my written submissions, email me direct at timgunfreak@yahoo.com

When you read the shit we have to write and do to try to get the most basic shooting needs, you guys will realise just how lucky you are, even those in Kalifornia etc.

Tim

grassyknoll
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Tim, I am curious. How are revolvers and semi auto pistols regulated in Australia? Can you have them? Do they have to be deactivated also?

GreenMtnTac
10-10-2005, 03:57 PM
What the hell is wrong with the world? Sorry to hear of your problems, Tim.

Ruddiger
04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Sorry to revive such an old thread... but just for future reference, the lowest capacity "Galil" magazine is a polymer 5-rounder made for the South African Vektor H5.

Ruddiger
04-07-2010, 10:30 AM
5-round magazine:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1139/mag5rnd.jpg

Tom5390
04-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Not really what you are looking for, but I took the blank mag that came with my Golani (with the white stripes), pulled it apart and then took a larger flat screw driver, prying in and under the blank adapter from the top, pushing it down to the spot weld at the bottom. A few carefully placed sharp blows to the screw driver with a mallet popped the spot weld loose separating it from the mag body. I then used a normal sized galil mag follower from a junk mag (most of us have at least one of these lying around) and wound up with a new 12 round mag that shoots flawlessly.

CaptainPhil
04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
5-round magazine:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1139/mag5rnd.jpg

Would LOVE to have a couple of these. Don't suppose you have ANY CLUE where a fella could get some, would you?

Thanks,

Phil

jt526
04-07-2010, 04:33 PM
A steel one for valmet on gunbroker, a bit pricey though

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=163380025

Ruddiger
04-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Would LOVE to have a couple of these. Don't suppose you have ANY CLUE where a fella could get some, would you?
I'll bet it's the rarest of all 5.56 Galil magazines. You might still find them in South Africa. However, due to all the gun bans and mag capacity limits enacted around the globe, my guess is that H5 owners in restrictive countries are holding onto these.

A steel one for valmet on gunbroker, a bit pricey though
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=163380025
Yep, that one's for a 308, though still rare.