PDA

View Full Version : Galil recievers cracking ?

chrisp929
12-15-2005, 04:53 PM
back about 4 years ago when i went HARDCORE into assault weaon / military type firearms, i remember hearing a rumor that was frequently repeated on the net and at local gunshows on occasion.

'Galil's are no good because the rear of the reciever cracks, they werent made well.'

i have a hard time thinking that the galil was not made right.
i do however, when i eventually get my hands on a 308 galil, plan on purchasing a simple buffertech galil buffer which im SURE will prevent any problems with the rear of the reciever taking alot of abuse.

anyone else here this crap ?

philasteen
12-15-2005, 07:29 PM
I've never heard it but I agree that's crap

jmikesteen
12-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Pure Crap BUT for some reason they did start using these great polyurethane buffers made for the galil by IMI and now SA. It fits in the end of the stock and is held in place by the stock roll pin. So the carrier hits it instead of the end of the stock.

John has them for $15.00 and they will probley last forever but I have a spare for each rifle. His email is

jyuzamas@aol.com

Tell him jmikesteen sent you.

Surly
12-17-2005, 03:24 PM
I've been using the Buffer techs in my Valmet 76 .308 with good results, my M1A and 10/22. I've used them in the standard AK's and had malfunctions due to short-stroking. For them I use Blackjack buffers and I have them (Blackjacks) in some of my other weapons (NDM-86, FAL, PSL, SKS's, Mini-30) as well. ;)

x556
12-26-2005, 09:35 PM
I reciever a cracked Galil reciever [demilled] from Sarco. It was cracked right at the back of the locking lug recess on the right side. You can see where the torch cut for the demill wes going down the side and when it reached the crack the reciever just fell apart.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/tdh4545/brokengalilrecieverside2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/tdh4545/brokengalilrecieverside1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/tdh4545/brokengalilrecieverlugtop.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/tdh4545/brokengalilrecieverlugside.jpg

i do however, when i eventually get my hands on a 308 galil, plan on purchasing a simple buffertech galil buffer which im SURE will prevent any problems with the rear of the reciever taking alot of abuse

Some interesting notes on the 308 Galil. The reciever is the same as the 556 except the mag opening has been lengthened foreward for the longer mag. The bolt carriers and recoil spring are the same. The 308 bolt is the same as the 556 bolt except the face has been opened up for the larger cartridge. A 308 bolt will fit in a 556 carrier and actually lock into the 556 locking lugs. The locking lugs are the same size on both the 556 and 308 guns. I'm not too worried about my 556 cracking but the fact that the locking area is the same on both guns does make me uneasy about the 308.

toomanymachines
01-17-2006, 02:48 PM
It was most likely driven over by a tank or something like that.. look at the pitting one the receiver.. I have two very used ex military sar that show no signs of anything like that..

Yog
01-18-2006, 03:32 AM
A long time ago, Peter G. Kokalis wrote in Soldier of Fortune that he observed a large pile of cracked 5.56mm Galil receivers in Israel. He said the reason the receivers cracked was due to improper usage of the Galil. He stated that the IDF used the Galil as a SAW and that it was not designed for that job. It was designed to be used as an infantry rifle, not a SAW.

A few months later, a concerned Galil owner wrote to him concerned that his semi automatic Galil was not a good weapon. Mr. Kokalis reassured him that he would never get his semi-auto rifle hot enough to crack the receiver.

I hope I can find these articles in my SOF collection. If I can, I'll try to type both of them out and post them. Or, I'll take pictures of them for someone who can post them.

Hope this helps ease your worries.

Sincerely,

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)
"Molon Labe!"

Art
02-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Ive used both of my SAR for over 10 years without problems, belive me they worth it, unfortunately had to sell both last year