PDA

View Full Version : Anyone built a SBR Galil SAR in 5.56mm?

Yog
12-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Friends,

I'd like to know if any of you have built a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) Galil in 5.56mm?

I've just put a pre-ban "transitional" model 5.56mm Galil on lay-awake and I'm eager for your input. It's gonna be a couple of months 'til she's paid for, but I'm already excited about the idea.

I have most of the original IMI parts necessary for this conversion. I just need to save my pennies and do the required Federal paperwork.

Any comments on this conversion?

Anyone currently own what I want to build?

Any ideas on who can do this conversion for me?

Your input/comments are welcomed.
Thanks for your time and ideas.

Sincerely,

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)
"Molon Labe!"

toomanymachines
12-23-2005, 01:54 PM
What would you like to know? Almost everything is the same, except for the length.. Nice compact little toy. One of mine has a very plain stock and the other has the cast one with the grooves for traction. the first is just a flat plate curved and some holes drilled.. do not know if the flat one is the earlier one or not.

jmikesteen
12-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi Joel, Have not seen you since Brian's board. Guys this here yahoo knows his galil's. good to see you here man!!

R4orgery
12-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey Joel,
Good to hear you're still around.
If he wasn't all booked up, I would reccomend Ted Marshall at Marshall Arms. He re-barreled my shot-out AA372 a couple of years ago and did an excellent job. You might email him and see what he says. I think Arizona Response Systems would also be a good choice for this as well, and they usually have a good turnaround time too.
One would think one of the more competent shorty AK builders could do the job. I was thinking of having an SAR Galil built a while back also, but could never find an unused SAR barrel. I guess a new standard barrel could be cut down and used but I've been saving the one I have left for a rainy day. Other than that I think all you need is the short gas tube and the short gas piston. This would be a really cool project if you get it done. Let us know and post some pictures if you do.

Marshall Arms (http://www.marshall-arms.com/)

Arizona Response Systems (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/)

Ugh!
01-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I've asked ARS,AZEX, and ORF about building a SAR with a used barrel from a demilled gun. They said it can be done but the bolt and bolt carrier have to be worked.