PDA

View Full Version : ARM barrel replacement?

Crash
12-24-2005, 02:46 PM
I'll try to keep this short! My local FFL/owner gave me a Galil ARM to look at that needs a new barrel (shot out) and fails the NOGO guage. I determined that it is beyond me as I just work with AK's and I'm not a real gunsmith by any means. I contacted ARS and they will do the work for $250 and the local FFL owner decided that he's going to pass and sell off the rifle. He's offered it to me for a grand as is.
I want a Galil so I'm tempted even though Xmas is killing me but I can't figure out if it's a pre or post, I assume it's post? I believe it was built by someone here in the U.S. and I'm skeptical of it now. I just want a shooter and I'm not concerned about the collector value other than this is a legitimate rifle.
It is a non MR, AA, SA rifle as the serial number starts with 3 numbers-IG, it has a GFCC Co. SACCA on the bottom of the receiver. It says "Galil Sporter IMI * ISRAEL" in large letters in the middle of the receiver. On the bottom of the receiver I see"Tim's Guns Winter Haven, Fl." that is electro penciled in. It has the folding stock, plastic forearm with bipod, but no bayo lug. It had an AR flash hider forced onto it and the original Galil parts like the selector shows wear/pitting prior to it being refinished by someone.
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, I plan to call "Tim's Guns" once I locate the phone number.

emerz
12-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Post ban rifle built on an Israeli imported receiver.

Tim Smith - Tim's Guns

Specialties: Class 3
3761 Recker Hwy.
Winter Haven, FL 33880
Phone: (863) 295-9463

E-mail: autogun@aol.com

suka5168
12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Its most likely built from surplus parts as a parts gun. The barrel should have been shot out by the IDF prior .

Crash
12-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Is it worth $1250 after the barrel is replaced or would it be better to look for a MR, SA, AA post ban that doesn't have issues? I need to check the parts but I'm leary of if they are really US made since I believe it falls into the 922r compliance issues, correct?

suka5168
12-24-2005, 03:46 PM
$250 is for the work, you will still have to supply the barrel.
223 Galil barrels are all surplus IDF in varing conditions.

hawkin
12-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I wish you good luck finding a new barrel. I have called pretty much all of the bigger name AK builders with only 1 having a new Galil barrel and I snatched it up. You would think someone out there could make some.

Crash
12-25-2005, 12:00 PM
I picked up a used barrel from one of the parts distributors but was told that since the Galil needs to have the barrel timed then the odds are not good that it will work and that I need a new one.

Ugh!
01-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Crash - talk to ARS, AZEX, or ORF about the using the used barrel. They said it can be done, but the bolt and bolt carrier will have to be worked. Not sure of the cost.

Crash
01-18-2006, 04:11 PM
I spoke to a couple of builders and they say the barrel has to time right or it won't work. The used barrel I have does not time right as I was able to get the old barrel off.
I could see where the builder had filed down the lip on the back of the barrel by the threads with a dremel so it would time. They filled the barrel end and threads with what appears to be an epoxy like JB Weld. Pretty sad looking to say the least, I figure I could do this but the headspacing will probably be shot.
I saw a post where someone had welded the gasport shut and then installed the barrel and redrilled the gas port. Since the gas block body covered the old slots for the retainer pins they redrilled them, reinstalled the gas block and everything supposedly works great. I'm thinking of trying this since I figure I've nothing to lose. THe owner of the rifle was happy that the receiver wasn't fubar'ed so he can recoup his losses with it if I don't buy it. Does this sound feasible?

Ugh!
01-19-2006, 05:32 PM
I've seen people weld up gas ports on AK barrels that are pressed in. Don't think it will work on a barrel that is threading in because the extractor cut on the barrel won't line up. I'm not a gunsmith.

Crash
01-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Well this is what I did and it is better than what the builder did. I got some washers that I used to use at work that are different width's and are used for shimming up gears to remove play in a small gearbox. I then put them on a lathe and made the inside diameter the same as the barrel end and then cut a slot on one side so it looks similar to a lock washer (they are wafer thin). Between a handful of these washers I was able to find a combination that allowed the barrel to time correctly. I checked with the Go guage and a Field guage and they passed, the NoGo gauge allowed the bolt to close on it but the previous barrel did the same thing and the owner had shot it like this multiple times. I also noticed that the new (used) barrel lined up exactly the way the blueing and marking were on it from the rifle it was removed from. Seems like it will work to me, what do you all think?

jmikesteen
01-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Sounds like a go to me

Ugh!
01-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm not a gunsmith, but it sounds right.