PDA

View Full Version : Hey Yog - Sling attachment using paracord?

Ugh!
01-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Yog,

Back when there was the Galil yahooo group you had pics and provided info on how to use paracord to attach the IDF sling on the Galil. Could you provide that info again?

Thanks!

jmikesteen
01-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I could never replace Yog but this one is easy. You just take two pieces of Paracord about 12 inches long. Knot it into a loop and attach the loop to the front and rear attachment points by looping it through its self and then attach the sling clip to the loops. Nice, silent, no mar (and longer now to boot)

Mike

Ugh!
01-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks, but not that simple. The paracord goes through the sling attachment point and around the folding stock knuckle. The purpose for looping the paracords around the gun itself and not just the 'bar' is so the rifle will not flip on its side when slung around the back/shoulder or the neck, in the 'ready' position.

jmikesteen
01-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I have seen about 4 or 5 different variations of the way to loop the para loops and some help the rifle remain more upright but I hate to tell you that the orginial intention of doing this was simply noise not tactical advantage, I promise. I know. lol

noel
01-31-2006, 02:33 PM
I have used this method since about 1980. The first rifle I used it on was a Galil, and I got the idea from photographs of Israeli soldiers in action. I really liked the sling I got with my Galil, but it made a lot of noise on "walks". Over the years I have moved away from the original Galil sling to a closed loop design using similar, but plastic hardware.I like the quick detach nature of this system. This is quieter and does not rust, and if you select it properly, plenty strong. I use 1.5" wide, thin nylon webbing in light OD green. It is long enough to carry low with web gear on, and will shorten up enough to carry on the off side shoulder (african style).
I use this type sling on almost all weapon types, using some variation of para cord attachment. I use the original Galil slings on heavy stuff like BREN guns and such.

When attaching the para cord to the front, tie a loop onto the sling swivel. I use a double grapevine or fishermans knot to keep it tidy. Burn the ends, leave a little mushroom, it will never come loose. Experiment with length so that you can tie an overhand knot into the loop. leaving a loop in the top end to connect the sling. This will shorten the para cord and turn it into kind of a figure eight. This keeps the para cord long enough to stay off the rifle during carry but short enough not to allow the front sight to get tangled up in the loop. The knot in the middle adds stiffness making it easier to attach and detach the sling, and will keep the rifle vertical in the carry if your hands are not on it.

Do the same thing on the rear swivel, this will keep it out of the way of the stock locking up. Assuming you are right handed.

This method works on regular fixed stock rifles. You must tie the loop into the para cord and position it where you want it, on the upper side is best, then tie the cord VERY tight around the stock, securing it into the existing sling swivel or stud. Para cord will stretch, so it must be tight to keep it from sliding over the end of the buttstock with the weight of the rifle/shotgun on it.

If I can figure out how, I will post a picture.

Hope this helps.

noel
01-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Similar to this, this is the only one I have handy. The wire tie is to keep it from moving forward.

noel
01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
front

noel
01-31-2006, 07:49 PM
I forgot I had this one with me. It is not tied like I described, but it should be.:goofygrin

noel
01-31-2006, 07:54 PM
try again, sorry

noel
01-31-2006, 07:55 PM
front, again

noel
01-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Front

noel
01-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Corrected the rear, so this is how I like it. Sorry about the multiple posts:silly