PDA

View Full Version : A Galil came home to live with me today

philasteen
01-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Here she is. Take careful note of the selector settings at the bottom right of picture 2. I can't wait to take her out this weekend.

http://users.rcn.com/philistine/galil1.jpg

http://users.rcn.com/philistine/galil2.jpg

http://users.rcn.com/philistine/galil3.jpg

Oswald2001
01-31-2006, 01:15 AM
So beautiful.

Congratulations.

It's 7.62 x 39?

suka5168
01-31-2006, 01:39 AM

Oswald2001
01-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Looks like a 7.62 x 39 AK mag.

philasteen
01-31-2006, 08:19 AM
It's a .223.

As far as I know, Galils only came in .223 and .308.

Oswald2001
01-31-2006, 08:36 AM
I have seen a few custom conversions to 7.62 x 39.

Usually with customized Norinco receivers. This receiver is obviously Magnum Research.

With enough money, you can pretty much build anything. If this is a full auto Galil, you are talking that kind of money.

It has long been a dream is to have a full auto Galil. How much might a full auto Galil cost me these days?

philasteen
01-31-2006, 09:30 AM
I should add that's a 7.62x39 mag I stuck in there for the photo until I get a Galil mag.

Ugh!
01-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Very Nice! How long did it take you to find that one?

Yog
01-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Congratulations! VERY NICE!

It appears to be a very early Magnum Research Model 361 converted to select fire.

It's always been a dream of mine to own such a creature. I'm planning on converting a semi-auto 5.56mm to a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) SAR Galil in the future. But, you've got the best, there! :) I gotta admire a man who does the right thing! I wish you were in Alaska so I could shoot it with you.

The last transferrable 5.56mm Galil I saw for sale was in the $17.5K range.

Enjoy!

Be safe. Be happy.

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)
"Molon Labe!"

AK43
01-31-2006, 11:33 AM
What can I say but it is more than nice. I would love to have one in the mini version(select fire). Very nice find my friend, AK43

philasteen
01-31-2006, 03:14 PM
It was a real lucky catch. I was in the right place at the right time -- it came from one of the larger well known Class 3 dealers. The price I paid was about the same as the going rate for a Colt M16A2, which the dealer now acknowledges was on the low side.

I'm a somewhat aficionado of Israeli guns, I have a number of Uzis. I'd been looking for a Galil for a while when this happened along. (Of course, now I'm looking for a Class 3 Galil ARM to go with it . . .)

Now Yog, should I rebarrel this with a 13.5" SAR barrel or leave it with the semi auto 16" barrel?

ironman
01-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, a third pin!

Yog
02-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Phil,

If it were mine, I'd definitely convert it to a SAR.

But, it's easy for me to spend your money and I'm not telling you what to do. The SAR is just a personal dream of mine.

What condition is the existing barrel?

Is it an HTA conversion?

How did you find it?

Tell us more.. especially after you shoot it.

I'm happy for you!! Congratulations!

Be safe. Be happy.

Joel N.
"Yog" (in Alaska)
"Molon Labe!"

noel
02-01-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm not Yog, but if you don't mind, I'll throw my 2 cents in. ( If you do mind, stop reading here)

I have owned a select fire SAR 13.5" , an ARM 18" select fire, and semi ARMs in 18, & 16", and semi ARs in in 18 & 16".
I have an 11.5" Micro select fire now, issued by my department. Botach tried hard to get us accept 8" Micros, but I told him we would send them back unopened. I tried to get 14" Micros but they were unavailable.

It really depends on the use you intend for the rifle. I can tell you that with the exception of the duration of fire, the ARM in full auto makes a superior SAW.

I can also tell you that 223 does not reach it's full potential in short bbls. No, thats not strong enough. The 223 is a marginal performer in man sized targets, and any lessening of velocity makes it worse. I have shot 2 deer and 4 medium to large dogs with Galils in 223. It is very bullet placement dependant, and really benifits from using only the best ammunition.

Having said that, the 13.5" SAR was my favorite rifle to carry around with me if I was working in and out of vehicles and inside buildings. I carried it every where my vehicle went.( and lots of other places) I always worried about performance.

If I had to choose only 1 Galil, it would be a 16" ARM. I can always remove the bipod to reduce the weight, and 3" will not kill you in portability, but it makes a critical difference in performance.

For my use, if I want a rifle, I haul out a 308. My MICRO is a good replacement for a submachine gun. But if fits real nice in the front of the patrol car, cause with all the equipment and my fat ass, it is crowded in there, even more so when you add another body. But I don't have to go to the trunk for it.

So if you want to kill things with it, leave it alone and get some really good bullets. If you want high sex appeal, go 13.5" , get some really good bullets and practice your head shots a lot.