PDA

View Full Version : Sling advice and information for Mac pistols...

blahblahblah
02-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I always wanted a sling for my Mac pistols. The two sling attachments that interest me, is the cobray sling coller and the standard SMG strap/sling attachment that goes on the front of the barrel. How exactly is the sling for the Cobray SMG attached to the upper/barrel? How do I go about removing my barrel to attach this? I was also wondering if any of you had experience with the sling coller that attaches on the back of the receiver. Here is a link of what I'm referring to...

https://www.onlinesecureordering.com/index.html?689.html&1

Also how are the Cobray assault slings?... https://www.onlinesecureordering.com/index.html?687.html&1

I hate the color, but I think the sling could fit the Mac pistols particularly well. I'm not really fixed on the idea of owning a sling with a Cobray logo though, I might use a standard issue AR15 silent sling.

fq1234
02-11-2006, 06:01 PM
the pistols don't come with the SMG front strap because BATF considers the pistol with a front grip an AOW which would need to be registered as an NFA device.

blahblahblah
02-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I see... couldn't I put one on both a semi mac10 and mac11/9 anyway for a sling?

fq1234
02-11-2006, 08:47 PM
I see... couldn't I put one on both a semi mac10 and mac11/9 anyway for a sling?

should be able to, as long as the sling is attached somewhere else on the gun also.

blahblahblah
02-11-2006, 08:58 PM
How do I go about removing the barrel exactly? I've never taken apart Mac pistols to that point and have never built one completely so I don't know exactly.

fq1234
02-11-2006, 09:04 PM
There is a roll pin through the receiver that holds it in. You need to remove the roll pin, then unscrew the barrel from the reciever.

blahblahblah
02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
I see... could the pin be put back in? Or is it one of those types of roll pins that are loose after they are taken out and should be thrown away and replaced?

fq1234
02-11-2006, 09:29 PM
I see... could the pin be put back in? Or is it one of those types of roll pins that are loose after they are taken out and should be thrown away and replaced?

I don't know, I've only installed them new. Maybe someone else can chime in.

boomer535
02-11-2006, 10:49 PM
The roll pin doesnt hold the barrel in it keeps the barrel from getting loose. There is a special barrel wrench tool that U really need to remove or install a barrel. As long as the rool pin isnt damaged U should be able to reuse it. Once U install a new barrel U need to run a drill through the barrel pin hole to notch the new barrel so the barrel pin will keep the barrel from loosening. When U notch the new barrel and reinstall the pin U need to install it so the barrel gets tighter not looser hard to explain this. Or U can forget the barrel pin and notching the barrel and just install the new barrel with some locktite like I did with my M10/45. It hasnt shot loose in thousands of rounds.

fq1234
02-11-2006, 10:54 PM
I've installed barrels without the tool but I'm sure it would be helpful and great to have.

tunnelrat
02-11-2006, 11:03 PM

They can be reused, but I would replace it with a new one, as they are inexpensive and easily available. You will be installing a 1/8" roll pin, one inch long. The correct hole size varies from 0.129" - 0.125", according to the ANSI chart for this size roll pin. A #30 (0.1285") or a 1/8" (0.125") drill bit will do the job.

blahblahblah
02-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice... It doesn't sound like it should be too hard. Once I get the accessories I'll let you know how it goes.

fq1234
02-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice... It doesn't sound like it should be too hard. Once I get the accessories I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd be very careful...from your threads I see that you are looking at adding SMG stocks, SMG front straps, etc. Make sure you keep everything legal. You can't put a front strap on a semi pistol. You can't put a stock on unless you have a 16 inch barrel and 26 inch overall length. Be careful, keep it all on the up and up. If you want a SMG, get one, it will be cheaper than legal costs and fines for illegal NFA guns.

Kilo_G
02-12-2006, 12:20 AM
I thought you couldn't put a fore grip on a pistol, but the front strap (the nylong webbing strap) was ok.

wildmann43
02-12-2006, 11:16 AM
The front strap is legal on semi's. ATF does not consider it a foregrip.

The current front strap & hanger assembly does not require removing the barrel.

Assault slings use the sling collar at the rear sight & attach to the front sight ear, not the strap hanger assembly. Use a GI utlilty sling, if you don't want a Cobray logo'ed product.

boomer535
02-12-2006, 11:44 AM
I have the assault slings on my MAC SMGs. If I had a semi pistol I would get a carbine kit so I could have two guns. It is important to never have the pistol upper installed with the stock installed or you will have a short barrelled rifle. Using the front strap as a grip seems to be a little dangerous to me. Is it legal to have the barrel extension on a semi pistol and use it for a grip?

slickster
02-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Here's a pretty good disassembly article which includes removing the barrel...
http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20Articles/012001/Mac10History.htm

My barrel came off really easily. I didn' have to spray anything on it or use any special tools except for a vice...which will make things a lot easier. You should be able to use the same pin (I wasn't able to though because I installed a new upper and the hole for the pin was a different size for some odd reason).

blahblahblah
02-14-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm fully aware of the laws. If I were to put a stock on I'd for sure add the proper length barrel. It's unlikely that I would though, since I can't seem to find a stock that I like enough to the point that I'm willing to buy another barrel.

blahblahblah
04-08-2006, 06:51 AM
I tried to remove the barrel, but it won't come out. I knocked out the barrel pin, but I can't seem to unscrew the barrel, is there something that I'm not doing?

mike
04-08-2006, 07:55 AM
I had the same trouble. Without this tool I think I'd still be trying to get it off. Even if you use it once it's well worth the money.
Mike
http://practicalpage.com/mactools.html

Energizer
04-08-2006, 09:24 AM
The front strap is legal on semi's. ATF does not consider it a foregrip.

also, if used correctly, its not used as an "additional grip"... but a sling that loops through your hand, cupping your other hand as if shooting a normal pistol w/ two hands, which will keep the muzzle on target during FA fire.

when I first got my M10, I tried to shoot it like a pistol, but holding the strap separately-- the gun was all over the place during FA fire... a friend of mine who had proper training in carrying and using SMGs, showed me how to correctly use it.

Also, being my first open bolt system, there are a few things to learn when clearning jams that I never thought about... :D good thing I always point my muzzle in a safe direction.