PDA

View Full Version : Galil wood handguard assy.

bcollum
12-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Does anyone know of a source for for new wood hanguards?

Sayeret Shaldag
12-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Nope. I heard botach used to have them for $50.00 back in the good ol' days. I just saw a heavily used wood ARM handguard go for I think it was $120. BlackTen was bidding on them and even he was shocked by the final price. Rhino66 mentioned that he will be custom making his own set and I am curious to see how they will turn out. I asked in that thread if he would be making any more, but never recieved a reply. I wish someone would make reproduction wood ARM and AR handguards. We could use the existing cage and hve the new handgurads riveted on. Just " possibilitizin' ". These though would be super cool.

jetskrtal
12-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Try vulcanarmament.com ,they have them listed for $85,I think.

Sayeret Shaldag
12-05-2006, 04:02 PM
No they don't. I inquired and they do not have individual Wood handguards for sale. Thanks though. Why cant we get these things made? They only have the wood for the sniper variant.

kmw1970
12-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Try vulcanarmament.com ,they have them listed for $85,I think.

Ug.Lee. That "sniper" version wood is hideous.

I know very little about working with wood. I'm lucky to cut a 2x4 straight.

Two questions:

1) What kind of wood are the originals?
2) Really, how hard would it be to CNC these things?

Both my kits have beat up wood handguards. I'm thinking about Vulcan's new black ones, but I'd rather have wood.

Sayeret Shaldag
12-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Don't think it would be too hard given the proper equipment. The wood can be cut easily by a skilled craftsman with a router maybe. The cage is made of thin metal not sure maybe aluminum? The hardest part would seem to be the riveting of those new handguards to the cage. Why can't we recycle the old cage after removing the old rivets and handguards? I also would like to know how that pistol grip is installed on the photo (found on the web) I posted above. I whish Rhino66 was here as he is planning on making his own wood handguards. A tutorial if nothing else would be great.

bcollum
12-05-2006, 05:42 PM
I bought one of the black handguards from Vulcan for the AR I'm building but would like a new wood handguard for the ARM parts set I have on the way from Sarco Inc.

Sayeret Shaldag
12-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Vulcan sells the black plastic ARM handguard, mine should be here tomorrow. Still I would also like would handguards for both the AR and ARM. Right now I am just collecting parts and given enough time I think we can all find someone to reproduce these handguards to original specs. I will hold off on my builds until I have enough spare parts to build a couple of rifles in each config AR & ARM.

Rhino_66
12-06-2006, 10:31 PM
I need to spend more time on the boards and less time working...

For the handguard, I'm going to copy the original using pieces of black walnut. I'll most likely glue up several slices to make up the basic shape, rather than hogging out a single block. The slices will help keep it from checking and add some strength.

I'm just going to trace the shape of the original piece onto the walnut blank and cut it with a bandsaw. I'll leave the front end a little long so I won't have problems routing the bottom edges.

For the grooves on the sides... A ball endmill in the mill will do just fine.

For the receiver end of the handguard, I'll just cut it using a jewelers saw. That'll be way easier than trying to use the router and a jig.

There's no way I'm paying $16.00 + UPS shipping for handguard rivets from Sarco, so I'll just make new ones on my lathe out of brass, aluminum, or maybe steel like the originals.

I'm going to pick up a powdercoat gun from Harbor Freight to do my metal finishes from here on out. I'll sandblast, parkerize, and then powdercoat the steel cage and rivets. After that, it's just a little tung oil or BLO for the walnut and then flaring the rivets.

I'll take pictures, and document the construction. This isn't an overly complicated woodworking project, but it does need to look right on the rifle.

Sayeret Shaldag
12-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah Rhino!!:gym Can't wait to see your pics.

Oswald2001
12-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Rhino_66,

Maybe you could start a little side business doing exotic wood Galil handguards.

You know, walnut, zebra wood, white oak, red oak, mahogany, ironwood, etc.

Add a little Bling To The Thing! :eyespop

I am also looking forward to photos of your finished build.

bcollum
12-18-2006, 02:02 PM
btt