PDA

View Full Version : New Galil barrels?

frtyfivsevnty
12-10-2006, 02:08 PM
So who is making the barrels coming with the parts kits?

bcollum
12-10-2006, 03:39 PM
They are made by Green Mountain

frtyfivsevnty
12-10-2006, 03:48 PM
It sucks they can't come with the original barrels.At least they went with a quality barrel though.Are they chrome moly?

panaceabeachbum
12-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I wish they were chrome lined

Sayeret Shaldag
12-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I am selling my Green Mtn. barrel if anyone's interested. What is a fair price to ask? It is new and unused.

kmw1970
12-14-2006, 12:07 PM
At least they went with a quality barrel though.

Okay, I'm totally ignorant about barrel manufacturers in general and Green Mountain in particular. Could one of our very knowledgeable types please comment on the quality of these barrels and give a pro/con summary vs IMI barrels?

I want to build a Galil that'll be like a lot of guns in my collection -- far more life expectancy than I have. I took my son shooting for the first time Sunday. The rifle I took for the "power of the gun" demonstration was an '03-A3. I explained to him that his great-grandfather bought that rifle, and that if we took care of it, it would still be around when he's a great-grandfather.

Oswald2001
12-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I believe that the Green Mountain barrels are quality barrels from all I have read. They are not chrome lined and obviously not IMI.

I think that they would be perfect for the vast majority of uses to which the kits will be put.

It appears to me that you might be thinking more along the lines of an heirloom firearm.

If it were me, for your purpose as I understand it, I would be buying an IMI barrel from Blackthorne.

I would go as much IMI as possible. Even up to an including buying the new kits and possible a new 16" barrel.

That's just me, though.

Another possibility is to buy an IMI pre-ban for the heirloom and build a kit with a Green Mountain barrel as a shooter.

The pre-ban is cool as it is all original and constitutes an automatic heirloom. Building, with your son, a real shootin' iron that is passed down the generations is an heirloom with a story behind it. It would be something your son would never forget. That's for sure.

Expensive? Yes, but what a multi-generational statement.

Another thing to remember to put away for the next 100 years is ammo. Lots of it. .50 cal cans in a cool place with as minimal of temperature fluctuations as possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sayeret Shaldag
12-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I am only using new IMI barrels as suggested by Oswald. I have three so far. The IMI barrels are chrome lined and the Green Mtn. are not. This doesn't matter as much for us as we baby our rifles, but the barrel is a major part and I would only want to go with the best. The rifle will be more authentic and far more valuable IMHO if you use an official IMI barrel.

kmw1970
12-14-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm too damn much of an engineer. I originally bought two kits, to build "shooters", one for me, one for the wife. I shoot more than she does, so I just ordered an IMI barrel. I think I'll build one with each barrel as an experiment.

The pre-ban is cool as it is all original and constitutes an automatic heirloom. Building, with your son, a real shootin' iron that is passed down the generations is an heirloom with a story behind it. It would be something your son would never forget. That's for sure.

Expensive? Yes, but what a multi-generational statement.

I'm slowly buying and setting aside parts kits for my son. My list is: Galil, FAL (with Israeli furniture), Browning 1919, and an AR. My plan is to collect everything needed for each build -- kits, receivers, accessories, (and skills!) and sit on them for a while. He just turned 7. For now I'm happy to just have him around watching and learning, and maybe doing some of the "small stuff" on projects. Imagine what it'll be like in a just a few years to open up a Galil kit and build it "from scratch".

And 10-4 on the ammo. We have a monthly ammo allocation in our budget.

Sayeret Shaldag
12-14-2006, 05:25 PM
You sound like a real cool dad!! I like how you already have a little Israeli commando in training. Mazel Tov! on that and your choice to get an IMI barrel.

Oswald2001
12-14-2006, 08:10 PM
"And 10-4 on the ammo. We have a monthly ammo allocation in our budget."

Your great grandson's friends will come over one day and exclaim, "Is that real ammunition?!?!".

boscoman
12-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Blackthorne has IMI chrome lined barrels @ what I think are pretty good prices. I just bought one for my 7.62 AR.

http://akpartskits.com/store/index.php?cPath=11_12&osCsid=e7c535557bcf76ff0fbf7834254f1295

boscoman
12-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I need to call Blackthorne, but I am wondering if the barrel that I just paid $385 for is the same barrel that they have on Gunbroker.com for $110 less? Hmm.

boscoman
12-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Gunbroker barrel is 223. Got my 762 barell today. ast shipping & Tanya is good to deal with.

Oswald2001
12-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Delete

Sayeret Shaldag
12-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I recieved my Blackthorne 5.56mm 16in IMI barrel on this past Friday I think. The muzzle end was sticking out of the box, but the barrel seems to be fine. It is mint as advertised and has markings similar to two other IMI barrels I have.

XD45
12-19-2006, 10:14 AM
So given the prices at Blackthorne, what's the deal with this at Sarco?

GAL082 - Galil - New IMI barrel for parts set - $100.00

Sayeret Shaldag
12-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Those are no longer in stock. Sarco keeps items on its list that have been sold out for a while. I saw that and called Sarco over a month ago and they do not have any nor will they be getting any more. I wish these idiots would update their inventory. Did you see the price on alot of Sarco's Gaill parts has jumped within the last two weeks.

Freedom Eagle
12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I called these guys about a year ago and they didnt have parts. (I had since forgotten about them) I called them a couple of months ago found out the same. Why these idiots keep this on their website is beyond me. Maybe everyone should call and ask for parts and maybe they will remove it. LOL

navygunner722
12-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Back about a year ago you could by genuine IMI 16in. barrels from gunthings.com for $55.00 each. They were not drilled and had no ejector cut but they were IMI and new....You can try and see if they still have any.

www.gunthings.com and the guy that helped me with Galil and Israeli FNFAL parts is "Paul"

I wish I would've bought 10 of them the to trade for other parts...

kmw1970
12-20-2006, 01:21 PM
I just talked with Brad over at gunthings. They no longer have Galil parts.