PDA

View Full Version : Need a tutorial on barreling a Galil

trbon8r
12-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I could use a little help in understanding the procedure involved in barreling a Galil. From my understanding most folks desire to have a new barrel with an undrilled gas port instead of a used barrel where the port has been drilled and the gas block installed.

I have a rudimentary understanding of barrel timing, and was hoping someone can please explain to me the problems that one runs into if trying to utilize a used barrel complete with gas block that has already been drilled? Is it a big deal, or is it simply a matter is shimming the barrel? Do shims cause a problem? Thanks!

Oswald2001
12-30-2006, 06:20 PM
IMO, a good place to start would be to read everything posted in Galil Talk over the last year.

Be sure and explore all the hyperlinks. Many of them are treasure troves of information.

In your reading, you will see numerous other resources and sites of which you may wish to avail yourself.

Further, you may wish to note some of the screen names you see over and over and as well as those that are the most knowledgeable in the areas in which you have an interest.

There are some really accomplished, talented, skilled, experienced and smart guys on this board.

Good luck!

suka5168
12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
If using a used barrel it may need to be shimmed. Just because when the barrel is tighten or headspaced, the gas port or gas block may NOT be perpendicular to the reciever (NOT at the 12 o'clock position).
Similar to a crocked crosshair in a scope. Instead of a + you see a x

trbon8r
12-30-2006, 10:56 PM
If using a used barrel it may need to be shimmed. Just because when the barrel is tighten or headspaced, the gas port or gas block may NOT be perpendicular to the reciever (NOT at the 12 o'clock position).
Similar to a crocked crosshair in a scope. Instead of a + you see a x

Ok, that's what I thought. Is this a big problem?

Are the shims considered "cheesy" and do they cause problems later on with the barrel coming loose, or have any other undesirable affects?

suka5168
12-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Too early in the Game to tell. Its a quick and easy fix to a problem but not the only solution. Another way is to have the chamber rereamed to the correct headspace and rethreaded to the exact time. But thats ALOT of work.
The barrel is / should be torqued to about a 100lbs + and should not have a problem of coming loose.

trbon8r
12-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks suka.

I have a contact that has an original IMI barrel for sale in excellent condition.

My concern was that installing the IMI barrel would be a problem since it is a used take off barrel that has been drilled and the gas block installed.

I'm building my first Galil and would love to have an original IMI barrel, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble or cost versus the Green Mountain kit barrel.

suka5168
12-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Using the Green Mt barrel is plus one on your 922(r) parts count.

bcollum
12-31-2006, 12:45 PM
My Green Mt barrel, when hand tight is strait up and down where it should be when torqued. I have built numerous AKs but this is my first Galil. Is there someone who makes shims for these barrels?

Thanks,
Bob