PDA

View Full Version : Old Cobray Ad

lkblair
02-05-2008, 02:13 AM
After reading an old post I remembered an old ad that I saw from Cobray. It was a plastic adapter that screwed on the threads that would accecpt a 2 liter pop bottle to deaden the muzzle report. I tried a search but I couldnt find the ad. I remember reading that Cobray did a few things that the ATF declared illegal. Does someone have the old ad? I tried a google search but coldnt find it. anyone know where to find it? Also, what else did Cobray do that was later declared illegal? I know that they also sold the wipes for the older suppressors.

Thanks!!

lkblair

Broke
02-05-2008, 07:15 AM
After reading an old post I remembered an old ad that I saw from Cobray. It was a plastic adapter that screwed on the threads that would accecpt a 2 liter pop bottle to deaden the muzzle report. I tried a search but I couldnt find the ad. I remember reading that Cobray did a few things that the ATF declared illegal. Does someone have the old ad? I tried a google search but coldnt find it. anyone know where to find it? Also, what else did Cobray do that was later declared illegal? I know that they also sold the wipes for the older suppressors.

Thanks!!

lkblair

Someone registered their "tornado" or "vortex" device... (it is a science teaching thing to attach 2 bottles together to show how the funnel forms as the liquid runs from one bottle to the other)... so there is a transferrable plastic 2-liter pop bottle adapter available to use as a suppressor. I've seen video of it being used, it sounded OK for what it was. I've been told that filling them with shaving cream or something helps as well.

I thought SWD used to sell the wipes or baffles to suppressors at gun shows, and across the aisle there was a vendor selling wind chime kits. The wind chim kits were properly sized tubes, ideal for fitting in the baffles from the other table to make an unregistered suppressor.

Spectre
02-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Is this what you are looking for?

Actually it was Wayne Daniels (SWD) who pledged his life to being a thorn in the side of the ATF. He sold lightning links, street sweepers, cheap subguns, pop-bottle suppressors and other politically incorrect items.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/450304/btpetflasce.jpg

fresprt33
02-05-2008, 08:40 AM
So what is Cobray doing today? Other than selling expensive parts off their site, are the newer MPA's pretty much ruling the semi "Mac" lookalike niche? What ever became of Wayne Daniels anyway? By the way, the newer MPA's seem to come in a variety of neat styles and don't have that old "trigger slap" of the newer style semi Cobrays. I currently own a Max-11 decked out in my favorite aftermarket parts and a stock M-10/45. I like the Max-11 with the 700 rpm bolt. Funny how nobody thought of modifying these devices like that back in the heydays. Also, after enduring one "audit" by the ATF as I am a dealer, I'm kinda surprised they ever ended up allowing so many modifications to the Mac products altogether. My advice to other dealers is to keep your books and forms dot perfect, though the ATF ended up with their own mistakes in my case as they did not have half of my NFA weapons, suppressors, registration's paperwork. Good thing I did. The small "audit" took 11 hours.

Energizer
02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
You should be able to own one or build one (form 1) as long as you pay the $200 tax.

Shattered
02-05-2008, 09:15 AM
I know that they also sold the wipes for the older suppressors.
lkblair

Wipes, schmipes.... they sold the entire internal parts set minus only the outer tubes. I still have the old catalog/flyers.

Broke
02-05-2008, 09:27 AM
I currently own a Max-11 decked out in my favorite aftermarket parts and a stock M-10/45. I like the Max-11 with the 700 rpm bolt. Funny how nobody thought of modifying these devices like that back in the heydays.

Back in the heydeys, the gun was the cheapest POS you could buy, and nobody wanted to bother with making anything for it when any other platform was a better starting point.

It would be like wanting Crimson Trace make special laser grips for a Jennings .22 - there just isn't a market for it.

Time and the fact they are now special transferrables has changed that, and now the idea of spending R&D time and money on something like the MAC makes it worth it.

piratesover40
02-05-2008, 12:08 PM
What ever became of Wayne Daniels anyway?

Company Facts:

According to a 1989 article by Ron Taylor in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the history of SWD, Inc. begins in 1978 with the acquisition of Military Armament Corporation's parent company, RPB, and the rights to the MAC-10 fully automatic assault pistol by Wayne Daniel and his partner John Carpenter. Carpenter was soon convicted of trying to bribe a prosecutor to get him to drop a drug charge against a client. Two other partners in the company were accused of smuggling more than two tons of marijuana into Florida. One fled the country; the other was sentenced to 30 years.

Wayne Daniel went on to manufacture a semi-automatic version of the MAC-10, which led to his first confrontation with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). The agency approved the assault pistol, but reassessed its position following reports that it was easily converted to full-auto. In 1982 ATF banned it. Daniel sued and lost. At the end of the dispute, Daniel dissolved RPB and created SWD, Inc. and placed it in the hands of his ex-wife Sylvia. SWD is an acronym for Sylvia and Wayne Daniel.

In 1985 the Daniels were indicted on 12 charges of illegally selling parts to manufacture silencers for submachine guns. The Daniels were eventually fined $1,400 after pleading no contest to misdemeanor charges of not paying proper taxes on the parts.

Ads for the MAC-11 dubbed it "The Gun That Made the '80s Roar." The gun was cheap—$200 to $300—easy to conceal, and could be fitted with a 32-round magazine. SWD also manufactured the Street Sweeper, a 12-gauge, semi-automatic, 12-round, revolving cylinder shotgun—complete with folding stock and pistol grips. One ad for the gun warned, "It's a Jungle Out There! There Is A Disease And We've Got The Cure." For only $395 the ad advised, "Make you [sic] streets safe and clean with the help of 'The StreetSweeper'!"

MAC/SWD/Cobray were sued in 1998 by a man who suffered severe injuries when a shell manufactured and sold by Cobray exploded when the victim fired a MAC/SWD/Cobray flare launcher.

:kill

lkblair
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Spectre

Yes, that was it! I looked for nearly an hour for a pic. Thanks! I remember lighting links now, back in the 80's they were like twenty dollars for a stamped metal that probley cost fifty cents to make, now that they are transferable I dont know what the cost is but its gotta be expensive! If they broke it would be crazy to fix it but it would be worth it. That Daniels guy really caused some paperwork for the AFT huh?

lkblair

Broke
02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I remember lighting links now, back in the 80's they were like twenty dollars for a stamped metal that probley cost fifty cents to make, now that they are transferable I dont know what the cost is but its gotta be expensive! If they broke it would be crazy to fix it but it would be worth it.

I see them listed $7500-$8000 now.

$130 for a KNS Protector that snaps on over the LL and keeps it from breaking. People repair them, as long as the serial is OK, you can build back onto it. M60joe.com does repairs.

Broke