PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut UZI owner questions...

MarkV
07-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm considering moving to Connecticut and wanted to know what CT residents do to keep their UZI's compliant with the CT AW ban. Seems that as long as the gun is not select fire capable I can keep it. I wanted to know what current owners have done to address this issue.

Worst case, I have a spare hebrew lower fcg from a kit I bought years ago that I could weld the selector into the full auto position and refinish, but I wanted to hear other suggestions prior to f-in up a usable lower fcg.

Garrett
07-26-2008, 12:36 PM
You could probably have the lower modified so that it worked in Safe-Auto-Auto. That way you would still have a functioning safety.

MarkV
07-26-2008, 01:22 PM
From what I've looked over there seems to be two options:

1. filling in and smoothing the semi notch on the selector lever, but you could still technically fire in semi... at least until the selector moved forward or back.

2. modify the sear lever so that it does not catch on the selector lever in semi. that would give you auto, auto, safety.

Between the grip safety and racheting top cover I'm comfortable without a selector safety.

tmitney
08-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Looks like if you remove some material on the front of the interruptor, enough so it will not make contact with the selector lever when set to "semi", you will be safe - auto - auto. I'll let you know for sure next Monday (or so) if it is in fact that easy.

ateamrob
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
What a stupid law CT came up with for that one dont you think? You can have full auto but you cant have select fire? WHY!!!!!! What possible mindset, genious, Mr. Wizard came up with that bright idea. What a bunch of idiots...... Full auto is fine but not select fire.... WOW!!!! I checked the state regs and that one takes the cake.

Either the politician was drunk, high or both when he or they came up with that one or they are just plain flat out DUMB!!!!!

Wow.....

I guess if I had to call it I would say that they just got the verbage wrong and probobly meant to outlaw FA totally and just said select fire is illegal and did not realize all they were doing was outlawing semi and 3round burst and all someone had to do was just make sure that FA was the only option. Again, what incredibly intelligent people we have in office...... what a shame we have such morons running the country.

sorry to go off on a rant but that one always bugged me. It looks like these other guys have some real good ideas with some different options you can try to make a FA UZI legal in CT. I guess I would say, just make it shoot auto only and as long as the select options on the lever only go to FA and safe you should be good to go and totally legal. Who would want to shoot an UZI in semi anyways...???? Just go FA all the way.
Good luck...

Rabbit23
08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow.....

I guess if I had to call it I would say that they just got the verbage wrong and probobly meant to outlaw FA totally and just said select fire is illegal and did not realize all they were doing was outlawing semi and 3round burst and all someone had to do was just make sure that FA was the only option. Again, what incredibly intelligent people we have in office...... what a shame we have such morons running the country.

Being a former Connecticutter and owning NFA items I believe that's exactly what happened. I bought my M11/9 in CT and it is full auto only.

The state is messed up and I'm glad I moved to the gun friendly state of NH.

Trigger
08-10-2008, 09:55 PM
The law in conn was an attempt by the anti gun legislature to ban FAs they figured that if they added to their assult weapons ban and banned slect fire weapons they had it covered. They never realized that a FA only wasn't select fire and that is how that law came about.

ateamrob
08-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Being a former Connecticutter and owning NFA items I believe that's exactly what happened. I bought my M11/9 in CT and it is full auto only.

The state is messed up and I'm glad I moved to the gun friendly state of NH.

well if we can ever sell our house (been on the market since last Nov) we are moving to NH ASAP.

Rabbit23
08-11-2008, 09:09 PM
well if we can ever sell our house (been on the market since last Nov) we are moving to NH ASAP.

Oh jeez, dude don't even get me started.....

My house in New Haven (East Haven line) was on the market from July '07 to March '08. I took a hit on the sale price too.

H&K 4 LIFE
08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Sorry bro, you can't keep it if you move to CT.

CT laws required all weapons listed in the Assualt Weapons ban to be registered before October 1, 1993.

My father registered his AR-15 before the ban and obtained an assualt weapons certificate for the firearm. The only way to keep a semi-auto "assualt weapon" in CT.

My uncle unfortunately did not register his semi-auto UZI carbine in time and therefore had to sell it to an out of state dealer. He has since acquired a full-auto only UZI carbine with all the necessary Class III paperwork. This is considered an allowable NFA item under CT state law, and VERY FUN. :D

Also, this was a select fire UZI until a gunsmith modified it to full-auto only per CT state law. The selector switch is now immobile and you cannot use the safety.

But and full auto UZI with no manual safety (besides the grip safety) is far "safer" then a semi-auto one... right? :eek

For more on the asinine CT assualt weapons laws goto:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

Sec. 53-202a

Learn how you can't own a HK91, but a PTR-91 is perfectly fine. :jerkoff

Garrett
08-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Sorry bro, you can't keep it if you move to CT.

CT laws required all weapons listed in the Assualt Weapons ban to be registered before October 1, 1993.

Did he say if it was a semi-auto or a full-auto? As noted, a full-auto is okay as long as it is not select-fire.

If he moves to CT, he can still keep his guns that are not compliant with the state AW ban. He will just have to keep them in another state.

I've been dealing with with a similar situation since moving to Missouri some time ago. I have to leave my silencers in another state, and only visit them on occasion. Fortunately, that won't be an issue any more at the end of this month. :D

(hmmm. Need a "silencer" smiley.)

H&K 4 LIFE
08-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Sec. 53-202a states:
Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: ...UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and pistol

The UZI (among others) is one of the guns directly named in the ban and therefore even a semi-auto only one must be registered before October 1, 1993 and the proper assualt weapons certificate obtained. No new certificates are being issued, effectively banning the listed semi-automatic firearms.

Full-auto only should be fine, as then it is a NFA item and and under the ATF's jurisdiction. However, I'm not sure if you can bring any more machine guns in state. To my knowledge, my local dealer (who is a Class III dealer, and sold my uncle the Class III FAO UZI) only buys and sells NFA guns that were in state before the ban.

AKhunter
08-14-2008, 09:37 PM
You can bring/transfer all the legally registered full autos you want into CT. All you really is is lots of $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$ Don't forget to file the state MG card.

MarkV
08-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Also, this was a select fire UZI until a gunsmith modified it to full-auto only per CT state law. The selector switch is now immobile and you cannot use the safety...

...Learn how you can't own a HK91, but a PTR-91 is perfectly fine.

So apparently the fixed selector is an option? This method was my first option, but it was recommended to speak to Rex at Vector by a CT dealer prior to screwing up a good lower. Unfortunately it appears Rex isn't one to return phone calls. I might just buy an extra lower and see what I can do.

Gun-banner's never do make any sense... they live in a fantasy.

H&K 4 LIFE
08-18-2008, 01:03 PM
So apparently the fixed selector is an option? This method was my first option, but it was recommended to speak to Rex at Vector by a CT dealer prior to screwing up a good lower. Unfortunately it appears Rex isn't one to return phone calls. I might just buy an extra lower and see what I can do.

Gun-banner's never do make any sense... they live in a fantasy.

Apparently so, because thats my uncles setup which was purchased late last year. Furthurmore, my local dealer told my uncle it was not a permenant modification and if he ever moved to a more friendly state the modification could be removed and semi-auto function of the selector switch restored.

If you want, you can all my local dealer. http://www.k5arms.com/ Frank will set the story straight for you regarding Class III laws in CT.

Hope it works out for the best... and yes, the laws here are retarded. :pound

Rabbit23
08-18-2008, 02:34 PM
If you want, you can all my local dealer. http://www.k5arms.com/ Frank will set the story straight for you regarding Class III laws in CT.

Frank's a good guy and he's nothing like the other Frank from down the Post Road in Stratford (who's shop will remain nameless) who the BATFE raided a few years back and found a shitload of illegal guns.

tmitney
08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I spoke to a very experienced CIII gunsmith who confrimed that removing material from the end of the interruptor is the proper way to make the full-auto-only modification. (not that welding the selector is "wrong", but then you do not have use of your safety). If you move out of CT, or the law changes (yah, right), replace the $20 interruptor to get you semi function back. Just FYI.

MarkV
08-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. Well the old gal is now Connecticut compliant; she's now safe, auto, auto and/or will be by the time she crosses into that state. Just a small mod to an extra sear lever and she's ready for her debut in Yankee-land-nanny-state. Next to address is the 16 but that's no biggie, plenty of stock parts abound for that.

Looks like the AR-15 and HK91 might be getting their very own Pelican cases for long term storage in another state if I do decide to make the trek to CT. Maryland is still in the picture too; they don't seem to mind "Assault Weapons" as much but still don't look kindly on new hi-cap magazines and still want you to register your machineguns. Apparently having them registered with the BATFE isn't enough. Neither state is as firearm friendly as Florida but maybe I can help change that, need something to do in winter anyway.