PDA

View Full Version : has anyone else had a gun blow up while they were firing them?

dantheman
09-08-2008, 12:52 AM
ok, today i was out plinking 22s and a 410 with my boss, one of the 22s was an Armosor Phillippeno AK-22 which i sold him.. that particular firearm, while i was firing it, lost its extractor during a rapid fire succession, failed to extract a fired case, and fired out of battery, blowing up in my face, so to speak.. this was 5hrs ago and my right ear is still ringing from the explosion it caused, literally blowing a case apart and blowing the magazine right out of the rifle..

other than losing the extractor i couldnt see anything else wrong with the rifle, i can fix it if i can find a new extractor, im going to see if Numrich has any, if they dont i have no clue where to look.. i can see why this happened though, because i can personally verify that this rifle has had THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of rounds through it, but its still scarey when a gun blows up in your face.. im lucky im not hospitalized right now, if it were anything more than a 22 i would be..

so i guess stay away from guns made in the phillippenes:chainsaw

MrM4
09-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Eventually you will have something happen, nobody shoots 10s of thousands of round over a life time never has a miss hap. OOB is not that uncommon with 22 LR, just be glad it wasnt something bigger.

Brenden
09-08-2008, 01:14 AM
I have had a couple of cases rupture (9mm) in a Glock 19..
That is "exciting" enough for me..:D

ogree
09-08-2008, 01:18 AM
I has a BM-59 blow up on me, cracked the bolt down the midlle, broker the receiver in 2 places, shattered the stock and sent pieces flying everywhere as the barreled action went flying forward over the front end of the bench.

Stunned me for a few moments.....but I didn't have a scratch on me.

Funny, the loss didn't bother me too much, but a friend of mine who loved that rifle was about to cry.

Fritz
09-08-2008, 01:44 AM
I am fortunate on this topic, as the only times this has ever happened to me it was also in .22lr, it happened once in a Ruger 10/22 and once in a Ruger Mark II, both of which have had many many thousands of rounds through them without incident before anything like this. As best I can tell they were both a result of abnormally dirty bores preventing the cartridge from seating fully in the chamber. I have since taken time to clean the both of them a little better and a little more often and haven't had any further issues. Both times it was an abnormally loud pop and a feeling like somebody slapped my hand pretty good.

FOZ
09-08-2008, 01:46 AM
I have had 2 OOB 1 with a 22 calico pistol. it blew the top strap and the windows out of the mag. scared the crap out of the girl I was with.
the other was at a shoot with jj and mrm4 I had a squib load in my m10. the next round was stopped short. the round blew up. pissed me off. I switched uppers and kept shooting. It may have injured jj but he didnt bitch.
It happens you just fix it and move on. I have never met anyone who had an OOB that did not fully recover.

FOZ

az paul
09-08-2008, 02:24 AM
A few years back I had a .50 Cal. Sniper Rifle blow up on me. Fortunately, I was in the prone position and had safety glasses on. Got some shrapnel in my face and a bloody lip. As VegasSMG once said, "that's a lot of powder close to your face".

jarhead jim
09-08-2008, 07:27 AM
I had a 12 gauge shotgun go boom out of the side of the barrel. Pugged bore. Had lots of .223 cases blow up in my 112 Savage bolt gun from overheated rounds roasting in the chamber while laying in the sand waiting for prairie dogs. The explosion would dissasemble my ejector, spring, extractor, and ball bearing. And last but not least my Stemple. One round had just enough powder in it to lodge a bullet half way down the barrel and the next one exploded in the chamber. I worked the action by hand (what a mistake) All it did was turn my left hand black and make a funny "bang".

Jim

Noah Zark
09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I've had a few OOBs while a Marine armorer back in the 70s and early 80s. Nothing much more than smoke and bang, and maybe a few bent parts.

Since then I've had a couple OOBs in Uzis, again more smoke and bang than damage. Didn't even bend the top cover. About 10 years ago I saw an FN49 self-destruct in its owner's hands while firing.

IMO, it's where the term "Gun shy" comes from, because after an OOB you don't feel too confident pulling the trigger for a while.

Noah

Hawksnest
09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Proof we should always wear shooting glasses.

yzfchet
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Friend of mine's RR HK33 ignited OOB and shrapneled the mag & bulged the top of the mag well and part of the receiver last year at Big Sandy. No injuries, though. Sad and expensive event.

TrippHammer
09-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I have had my share of OB.

Recently my MK 760 went kaboom. Case ruptured, brass went everywhere, but only minor scratches.

There's not a lot of brass in the 9mm round and most of it gets squashed in open bolt guns.

It seems to happen when least expected. The last time I saw the bullet tumble thru the air and hit the wooden back drop with a thud.

I had a Stoner creek Suomi upper that OB and left me w/ a couple of stove pipes. That was interesting.
Luckily it happened to me and not the 12 year old kid who had just fired my gun at the machine gun shoot.

I have never had a closed bolt gun go Kaboom yet.....knock on wood.

MrM4
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
On the injury side I've had my share, 2 rounds that bounced back and taged me pretty good. A few burns from hot gas blocks or barrels, and 1 cut plus a burn to the neck from the casing out of that M10 of Foz's, My lawyers thing $8.9 million would be about right ;)

prebans
09-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Yup, 7.62x54R Nagant clone blew on me.

It hurt.

Mike

Patriot
09-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Wildcatted M1 carbine in 45 WinMag blew the bolt out. NOT fun. One of the locking lugs sheared off. I got a nasty gouge in my forehead and bled like a stuck hog. I sent the gun back to the guy who did the work for me. We had the bolt examined, and it was too hard, making it brittle. A new bolt, and headspacing, and all is well.

FOZ
09-08-2008, 06:36 PM
1 cut plus a burn to the neck from the casing out of that M10 of Foz's, My lawyers thing $8.9 million would be about right ;)

Will you except some used 223 cases?

Foz:waving

jarhead jim
09-08-2008, 06:45 PM
I loaded up a Ruger Super Blackhawk with 22 grains of Unique and a 300 grain Barnes full metal bullet in .44 mag. The resulting recoil liquified the primer into the transfer bar safety in the pistol along with recoiling it in my hand so severe that it displaced the palm of my left hand resulting in a 2" square blood blister in th ecenter of my hand. It was in my early stages of reloading and I thought I was loading Herc. 2400 powder.

DOH!

Jim

mtdew
09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Yes

MG42: still have a powder tatoo on my right hand

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/kaboom.jpg

And My M10 (but it didnt do a thing but shred the casings)

prktoil
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Was firing a Raven .25 years ago...

I saw a flash of silver zing past my eye. Next shot didn't go off, did all the usual FTF routine, then inspected the gun...

The pin that holds in the firing pin had somehow disappeared, and the firing pin had come out. That was the zinger that went past.

Now whenever I look at (or fire) an auto, I check to see where/how the firing pin is attached....scary how the firing pin is almost always right inline with one's eyes.

StooperZero
09-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/kaboom.jpg

I had the same exact pic from the 8mm 1919 I had, Using 50's Yugo It blew and bent the top cover, cracked the trunnion and gave me a .38 special looking wound to my thigh.

I've had several squibs/Poofs in my UZI

Banana'd the barrel of a Garand.

Had the gas cyclider of an M60 explode.

Had a Sar-2 Runaway ( IIRC was like -5 out with high wind) and I was doing mag dumps on a trash heap and it started.... Just buzzed until it was empty.

chili17
09-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Lets see. Actualy blowing up a firearm? Slide on a beretta 92 flew past my head. Colt mustang blew up in my hand (cracked slide and frame). Sent a 1919 top cover flying. Case blew in a 1911 and destoyed the mag and grips. broke the topstrap on a colt 22 revolver. Split the slide on a sig 288 (i think). Thats about it. i have had a ton of OOB, mostly with .22s though. Oh, yea blew up an uzi and bent the frame plus ejector.

yzfchet
09-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I had the same exact pic from the 8mm 1919 I had, Using 50's Yugo It blew and bent the top cover, cracked the trunnion and gave me a .38 special looking wound to my thigh.

I've had several squibs/Poofs in my UZI

Banana'd the barrel of a Garand.

Had the gas cyclider of an M60 explode.

Had a Sar-2 Runaway ( IIRC was like -5 out with high wind) and I was doing mag dumps on a trash heap and it started.... Just buzzed until it was empty.
OK, how did the gas cylinder on the '60 explode? That's a new one to me...:thinking

Prasutagus
09-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Those armscrap ak-22s are notorious for OOB firing. I actually had one in high school that I liked to shoot a lot. When it fired OOB, I thought it was going full auto on me. The face full of hot powder and shards of brass told me otherwise.

Mike85220
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I wonder why the AK-22 by Armscor is firing out of battery?
I have owned the M-1600, and currently own one of their ancient PPS-50s.
Yes, they had their own version of the PPS-50, not the same as Bingham's.
They all shot 100%, and never blew up on me and I only had to replace the firing pin every 120k rounds.

The guns that have blown up in my face are:
A.A.Arms AP-9
Romanian RPK-22 trainer

Hughjimbissel
09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Load of surplus .308 had a round of 7.5 Frog (Syrian) lurking in it. Blew the floorplate out of the mag and our ears all rang for an hour!

po
09-09-2008, 12:08 AM
A Taurus .357 came apart in my hands 15 or so years ago. It belonged to a friend. I fired one round and it quite literally came apart as I was squeezing off a second round. It didn't blow up. It just shed parts like a tree drops leaves. My friend gathered up the parts and put it back together. I never fired it again.

-- po

dantheman
09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
I wonder why the AK-22 by Armscor is firing out of battery?
I have owned the M-1600, and currently own one of their ancient PPS-50s.
Yes, they had their own version of the PPS-50, not the same as Bingham's.
They all shot 100%, and never blew up on me and I only had to replace the firing pin every 120k rounds.

The guns that have blown up in my face are:
A.A.Arms AP-9
Romanian RPK-22 trainer

i guess because thousands of rounds to wear it out + dirty action/bore equals lost extractor in an armscrap AK-22.. when i owned it i kept up with the maintenance and cleaning every time i shot it, my boss doesnt clean it though, he pays me to clean it now and then..

can anyone help point me in the direction to find a new extractor for it? he offered me $100 labor if i can fix it, i can fix it as long as i have the part.. numrich doesnt have any..

dantheman
09-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Load of surplus .308 had a round of 7.5 Frog (Syrian) lurking in it. Blew the floorplate out of the mag and our ears all rang for an hour!

ive never even heard of a 7.5 frog before, learn something new every day

dantheman
09-09-2008, 12:31 AM
thanks everybody for sharing your stories about "when guns fight back" lol

Goat
09-09-2008, 06:41 PM
After my Grandfather passed away, my Father and I went to New Smyrna Beach to get what we wanted out of his condo before we sold it. The search revealed a R.G. .38 special. The two of us were joined by my great uncle for a shooting outing in the back country of Florida. My great uncle likes to shoot +p .38s in his .357, Dad loaded Granpa's (junk-ass) .38 with the +P's and told me to give it a try. (I was 12 at the time). The gun kicked like a full on .357 and I felt something hit my face. Examination of the revolver showed the barrel almost falling out of the frame. It looked like a gun in a old cartoon where the barrel droops when the gun has been shot to much.

I have had 6 squib loads to date. When my gun doesn't fire just right I check everything. Having that gun come apart left an impression on me, so to speak.

I have been hit with 2 ricochets. A .22 on my left cheek and a .357 in my chest.

Patriot
09-09-2008, 06:57 PM
...wait until you have a .30 AP core come back and smack you broadside in the inner thigh right next to your femoral artery, displacing tissue about 1" diameter and very deep. Hurt like a motherfucker and took months to heal!

StooperZero
09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
OK, how did the gas cylinder on the '60 explode? That's a new one to me...

IIRC, We had about 500 down the tube that morning, Around the 550ish mark heard a load "POP" and something hit my shoulder. Gun stopped immediately.

cylinder looked like a damn broken phlorescent light bulb , some parts held on by the tiny little wire at the end of it.

Wasnt my gun and some guys Uncle named SAM payed for the ammo ......

Still cannot explain how that part would blow .

And NO it wasn't shot.

K.O.A.M.
09-09-2008, 09:37 PM
About 10 years ago I saw an FN49 self-destruct in its owner's hands while firing.

IMO, it's where the term "Gun shy" comes from, because after an OOB you don't feel too confident pulling the trigger for a while.

Noah

I had a FN 49 blow up on me twice. I got it repaired, did the same #$%^ thing again. Got rid of it at a decent loss, got rid of my other one in a hurry.

panaceabeachbum
09-10-2008, 09:59 AM
...wait until you have a .30 AP core come back and smack you broadside in the inner thigh right next to your femoral artery, displacing tissue about 1" diameter and very deep. Hurt like a motherfucker and took months to heal!

weird you would mention that , I had a freind that had an ap core come back and hit him in the wrist , broke the bone and popped back out of the skin a few inches from his elbow.

On the blow up subject just the usual oob in a few subguns , the worst was a pps43 that left a nasty scar on my left arm . Also had a glock blow up . which they exchanged for a new gun

Noah Zark
09-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I had a FN 49 blow up on me twice. I got it repaired, did the same #$%^ thing again. Got rid of it at a decent loss, got rid of my other one in a hurry.

The FN49s have a rep for it, evidently. Lots of accounts of KBs out there for the reading.

Noah

Energizer
09-10-2008, 12:13 PM
yep.... and recently on a .22LR and 1 year prior with same gun....
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37481

Sully
09-14-2008, 07:59 PM
I've had an old west hurley a.o. thompson go out of battery on me. Bright flash of light followed by a shower of hot gas, and powder granules...good times. The firing pin got hung up in the "out" position as it was chambering a round. It's a good thing it was built like a tank, took it like a champ.

nutinauniversalshell
09-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Ive been lucky, but more recently a partially chambered 22 blew out the side of the casing...burning powder all in my face...in my GSG-5.

I cleared it and kept shooting.

Capital Ordnance
09-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes, I had an M14 blow up on me and threw shrapnel in my forehead that is still there in my sinus cavity. Showed up on a MRI I had last year for head aches!
There was a broken case lodged in the bore and the next round loaded exploded when I dropped the bolt. Hurt, the gun was toast but repaired by Smith Entrps.
I wound up bleeding pretty good from my face and fore head. But, I put on a gauze bandage and kept shooting that day.
Damn that was stupid of me!
NOTE to self and you all, if you get hit in the head with ANYTHING while shooting, go to the hospital and get it checked out right away. Not 8 years later!:hung

Patriot
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Was it a Norinco M14?

Capital Ordnance
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Was it a Norinco M14?
As a matter of fact, it was! Damn thing nearly killed me!

Patriot
09-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Not the first one I heard of. It probably lost headspace after a few hundred rounds. Normal for the Chinese M14. Best bet is to stay away.

Ulwembu
09-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Best is to swap the bolt for a TRW. After that you have a perfect M14 clone ;)

Patriot
09-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Best is to swap the bolt for a TRW. After that you have a perfect M14 clone ;)

.....and Santa and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are ALL REAL!

Ulwembu
09-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Not necessary to put me down like that. I had one and it was a perfect gun. OK, not a M1A Natinonal Match but good enough.

Patriot
09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Not meant to be a put down. Chinese built M14s are made from inferior steel, improperly heat treated, and quite often improperly headspaced. Hell, the parts don't even interchange with US parts all the time. The dimensions are off. Sorry if my sarcasm didn't come across right. You were lucky yours didn't give you a nice scar.

Ulwembu
09-18-2008, 05:29 AM
From all the info I gathered while I had the Norinco M14, I found out that it wasn't the receiver causing the problems but the bolt itself. I was on a few M14/M1A fora in that time and even got word that the Chinese receivers were better then some American made receivers (I'm saying some, not all). Getting a TRW bolt solved the problems of the headspace getting larger and larger according to those posts and thus in went a TRW bolt. Took my smith 3 hours of polishing to get the headspace dead on. The Chinese bolt was very soft.

big44maghunter
09-20-2008, 07:43 PM
About 15 years ago I had an 870 12ga. blow up with a over loaded gamester all plastic shell. Had powder burns on my arms and a piece of the white metal bottom of the receiver in my leg. The major retailer in Michigan where I bought the shells replaced my gun +. The receiver split but held together, sure could have been a lot worse. Also, saw a black powder rifle loaded with smokeless powder blow up and nearly kill 3 people at a gun range. All three were seriously injured for life. I'm happy to say those are my only experiences.