Anyone try one of the Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Parkerizing paint?

mike400

There is a matte dark parkerizing grey color and a matte parkerizing grey. Just curious if someone has tried these with the group/vector receivers. How hid it look? Close? I have used the Aluma-Hyde II, just no those colors.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
I have no experience with Group/Vector receivers, but I did use the grey parkerizing spray on an unfinished NodakSpud receiver that I used to (try to) run with an IMI 45 conversion. I used the spray to finish the receiver then I also painted a blued trigger group and factory top cover to match (I didn't have sandblasting equipment back then to strip these first). The end result was pretty dramatic and actually looked beautiful after I finished off the project with a set of grey grips and handguards I got from a good friend. A few people I showed it to initially assumed it had really been parkerized. The finish was pretty resilient too, but after a few years, it did develop a few thin spots, though not on the receiver which probably shows that preparation is important before using the paint. The few parts that I left in black also made a nice contrast with the rest of the rifle. I tried to sell it here a few years ago when I was unemployed but got no takers so I finally ended up selling just the bolt and barrel which were original IMI.

This picture is probably the best one to see the contrast. It's where I messed up trying to paint the S on the trigger group (had to go back and fix it). Bear in mind, the handguards and grips are solid gray. The trigger, selector, cross-pin are all black (blued).

SAM_2512-2.JPG

This is what the topcover looked like after a few years of use. If I was doing it all over again, I'd probably sandblast the whole thing first and then spray the Alumahyde on clean metal.

SAM_2513-2.JPG

Finally, here's a good way to see the contrast. The barrel and bolt were original IMI so I didn't really want to paint them but the black barrel didn't look right coming out of that nice gray carbine so I ended up spray painting just the front of the barrel as that was the visible part. I figured if I ever wanted to remove it, I'd only have to sandblast about half of it. I sprayed right over the blueing but never had any issues with the barrel. You can see how toward the right the color fades back to the blued/black of the actual barrel.

SAM_2508-2.JPG

I hope that helps.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
It almost looks like the Phosphate gritty texture too.
Yes, the texture was a bit of a surprise to me, but it helped sell the idea that it's simulating parkerization. If it looked shiny grey, it would be obvious it was painted. I was actually pretty happy with it, but never got the 45 conversion to work reliably and I later tried using it with a McKay bolt which for some reason doesn't seem to work well in this receiver (or at all). Getting that fixed is one of the long term projects I've been meaning to take care of, but I haven't considered refinishing it as I actually really like how it came out, and the grey furniture match it perfectly for a really cool appearance.

Paul Kersey

What "brand" was the paint? I might be interested in trying this.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I used the Brownells alumi hyde on my Galil stock conversion for my M10

Matched the lower perfect.

Lower was redone by Sam @ Practical back around 2010

I can get pix later if needed.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter