Hesse? MP5 clones?

captshiess

UZI Talk Supporter
Uzi talk is the best and that's why I'm not going to go to the HK forums or AR.com... Anyway, I'm looking to buy a MP5 clone and I was wondering what I should look for. I know I should stay away from Vulcan, but are there years of todd bailey (I know he is a jack ass) that I should stay away from? I've read on gunbroker that the older ones were better??? Anway, what other things must be replaced with HK parts when I get one? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Clicker

I'm in the same boat. I have an HK SP89 that's going to be set up as an MP5k host but I'd like another MP5 full size host. After reading almost every post I could find on the subject I've come to believe the latest generation of guns from Coharie are pretty decent. Seems most run well as delivered or with a simple extractor swap and by using HK factory mags. They come with a metal inner trigger pack now also. They are available with FA carriers and SEF lowers which is a big plus if you are looking for a FA host. I just spent $295 for a carrier and another $135 for a clipped & pinned SEF lower!
I have enough subguns in 9mm and would really like to buy CA94 in 10mm. Just not sure how well they hold up in 10mm. I like the fact that I could hunt hog & whitetail with the gun also.
I'll let ya know when I work up the courage to order one!

mtdew

Patriot said:
If you want an MP5 clone, go with Vector.

which will get you better service but it's still a gun built w/ all Todd bailey parts.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
The new Cohaire arms guns are coming out with good reviews.

Yes, they are built by Todd Bailey. I got a CA89K that is nice.

Jake

mtdew

Jmacken37 said:
The new Cohaire arms guns are coming out with good reviews.

Yes, they are built by Todd Bailey. I got a CA89K that is nice.

Jake

You can make Todds stuff work (and it will still be lots cheaper than an real HK)

However good current reviews or not you should still plan on replacing some of the parts

His extractors are not to spec and sit too high.
His extractor springs are weak
His ejectors are also not to spec

The most annoying thing I personally ran into is that the 3lug was .015" out from being concentric to the bore (so much that it was causing baffle strikes)

That would normally be a expensive fix
mp5lugs4.jpg

mp5lugs5.jpg

captshiess

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the info. I put a bid on a special weapons one (I know it is the old Todd Bailey company before bobcat and cohair I believe). Anyway, he said that he has put about $600 of HK parts in it. (I'm assuming it has the ejector, but I'll ask). It looks to be in good shape. I'm not planning on getting the FA group because it is way out of my budget now, but I'd like to do the SBR. So would you say it is worth $1100.00??

js1050

I have an early SW5 (stamped receiver) that runs 100%. It's on the NFA registry for SBR and I had the bbl threaded for a can (have not used the 3 lug).

The ONLY problem I had with the gun was after running a ton of Blazer through. I found out later that the fluted chamber doesn't bode well with aluminum cases. During my trials, I ended up replacing the extractor & spring with HK parts. After a thorough cleaning and testing with brass cases, the gun returned to 100%.

If you buy the gun and get it on the NFA registry for SBR, taking the fake can off is a little tricky. The blind pin is steel, we had to mill around the pin and heat up the fake can to get it off. Then I pulled the blind pin out of one of the lugs. If I had to do it again, I would take it to an SOT and have him remove it.

JS

captshiess said:
Thanks for the info. I put a bid on a special weapons one (I know it is the old Todd Bailey company before bobcat and cohair I believe). Anyway, he said that he has put about $600 of HK parts in it. (I'm assuming it has the ejector, but I'll ask). It looks to be in good shape. I'm not planning on getting the FA group because it is way out of my budget now, but I'd like to do the SBR. So would you say it is worth $1100.00??

captshiess

UZI Talk Supporter
That sounds good. I'm glad you have had luck with that gun. Did you refinish the three lug after you had the fake can taken off? I'm wondering how you did it? Thanks!

davekr

CA89

I just got my Coharie CA89. Overall, it seems great. I am ordering an SWR 3-lug mount and will see if it fits on the barrel lugs. I also have an SWR Trident coming. Lots of info at HKPro.com. This is my summer gun project (suppressor and SBR).

CoharieCA89640x480.jpg

sunnybean

davekr,

Nice! You'll be happy you bought it. Just swap the Cohaire mag for some factory HK mags. As for the three lug, good luck. I have two of these (1-fullsize, 1-"k"). I ordered some HK flash suppressors. They won't fit, even though the gunbroker add says their barrels are TO spec. That may stand for a "tad out". I sanded all the paint overspray off. Still no go. I then took a stone to the front of the three lugs and got it to work. I also have a SWR Trident on order. Still waiting on paperwork to get back. I imagine if the FH will work then can will too. However, be prepared to do some work.

Plans to SBR?

davekr

Sunnybean, I'm definitely going to do a SBR. ATF Form 1's, 3's and 4's seem to be running about 6 weeks which is pretty long. I would like to know if they are swamped with transfer requests or if something else is causing the slowdown.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter