Volunteer Enterprises Open Bolt project?

azakms

pix896079791.jpg

So I recently won an auction for a hammered Volunteer Enterprises 45 Open Bolt gun that is missing the stock. I already have one of these in much better condition and was contemplating making it cosmeticly look like something else (M3 Grease Gun). What are you thoughts? Should I get a replacement Thompson stock and call it a day, or make it into something else (I don't want to touch the inside guts, since it is a legal Open Bolt firearm). I know Grease Gun parts have become harder to find, but there are several other submachine guns that have a similar stock. I would also need to remove the forward grip and sight, and put a front sight on top of the tool front end to line up with the back sight.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
GG would be the answer.

How to move the pistol grip rearwards is the question.

So this is the round receiver version I gather.

azakms

Round receiver and I can not move the grip without modifying the firearm that may revoke its approved open bolt status.
I was planning on more of a dress up rather then redesign.
Does anyone have any other ideas on how to give this pig a face-lift? Is there another open bolt sun-gun it could get dressed up as that would make more sense with the position of the grip assembly?
Would FBP parts be more plentiful to give it the look?

Last edited:

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Look at a Vigeron..

Similar to GG but a bit different with some overhang of receiver at rear.
Same wire type slideing stock.

Most all other OB tube guns have the pistol grip at the rear most area.

Now you could chop your pistol grip just below trigger gard.
Add a pistol grip to the rear and a linkage forwards to the stock trigger.
Hide the factory trigger with a sten mk II chunk of sheet metal and you have a GG on the cheap.

This is no different than adding a bullpup stock to a mini 14 or many other similar systems. It does not alter the internals in any way

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
First thought that comes to mind is to modify a Sten "loop" stock to fit, second is a full size UZI stock. You might be able to use an AK Underfolder, with a bit of modification. You could possibly do a Side Folder (a la S&W 76)

Last edited:

timkel

I would restore and modify a bit. Imagine a Thompson style wood panels on the rear grip with a Thompson buttstock. Consider shortening to barrel as SBR and add a Cutts compensator. Do a bit of engraving and refinish the metal.

azakms

I decided to get a FBP M/948 wire stock and grip assembly (to have the hardware for the sliding stock mechanism).
I'm going to install that as a collapsing stock in the back. I may delete the forward tommy type grip, or I may leave it alone and call it a day.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I decided to get a FBP M/948 wire stock and grip assembly (to have the hardware for the sliding stock mechanism).
I'm going to install that as a collapsing stock in the back. I may delete the forward tommy type grip, or I may leave it alone and call it a day.
IMA-USA.com has display FBPs for $295

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
full 16" had to take the soumi sight down a little to get the elevation correct still need to sand and re paint or park .will have to post pics next week
and oddly enough the wannabe tommy grip is more comfy then a Thompson straight grip

azakms

full 16" had to take the soumi sight down a little to get the elevation correct still need to sand and re paint or park .will have to post pics next week
and oddly enough the wannabe tommy grip is more comfy then a Thompson straight grip
I think the Soumi barrel shroud would be awesome. How did you hold it in place?
I think this with the sliding stock off of the FBP M/948 will look killer.
Now I need to find someone that can fabricate this for me. I'm set up to do Cerikote to refinish, but that's not going to help.

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
held onto hand grip with set screws to help adjust sighting it in 4 way slight adjustment, then file in front sight to zero
Resized_20230828_225357.jpg

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter