UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: New Owners for UZI Talk Web Site

Administrator

New Owners for UZI Talk Web Site

The Uzi Talk forums were started in late 2002 by Jeff Cook. The screen shot below shows what the entry page looked like four days after the site started, having a total of 207 visits during that time. Weíve come a long way since then! A few weeks later, I joined the administration team and helped run the site with Jeff until he left in 2006. Iíve run it since that time, and for nearly 20 years weíve had a great time here. More than 20,000 people have joined the site and have made almost three-quarters of a million posts. During that time weíve added new forums, done several software upgrades, had moderators come and go, bought and sold a lot of stuff, learned a lot of stuff, and had a few arguments along the way. A lot of friendships were made, both in the forums and in person. Itís been a fun place to hang out and enjoy our hobby.

After nearly 20 years, Iíve decided that itís time for me to move on. The easiest thing for me would have been just pulling the plug and shut everything down, but weíve got a good thing going here and it deserves to continue. I considered several options and Iím pleased to announce that this site is being handed over to two of the most capable guys I know for this job. Effective immediately, David and Andy Albert now own the entire UZI Talk site. If you donít know their names, you certainly know the work theyíve done. David and Andy have run the sturmgewehr.com and machinegunboards.com sites for many years. They have a ton of experience managing gun forums and the technical expertise to ensure a long and successful future for this site. Itís a privilege to have these guys accept ownership of UZI Talk. Youíll soon see more activity from their users on the site (dalbert and aalbert).

How does this change in ownership affect you? Very little! The site continues on as it has and youíll notice virtually no change. Over time, Iím sure David and Andy will start implementing some updates to ensure the site stays current with technology and with user interests. Their ability to do that is why Iím so excited to see them take over.

I want to thank chili17 and arch stanton for all the work theyíve done as moderators on the site for many years. Theyíll continue as moderators. I also want to thank the UZI Talk supporters that have stepped up to support this site. Itís been a very successful program and it will stay in place for anyone that wants to continue supporting the site. Finally, thanks to all the active members who have made this an interesting place. You guys are great and I look forward to more discussion in the future. Iíll still be around, so you know where to find me.
    Attached Images  
    Looking for the definitive reference book on UZI history and technical information? Check out my book The UZI Submachine Gun Examined. Details to order a copy are here.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Kudos for the choice of new owners.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks for all you've done Dave - GOOD LUCK in your future endeavors.

David

UZI Talk Supporter
    I hope you stick around the site, Dave
    Last edited by sniperdoc; 03-12-2022 at 10:55 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thx for all your hard work... it's a pleasure to know you. Viya Con Dios, Amigo...
    Dover's the name, Ben Dover.

UZI Talk Supporter

Thank you for the heads up, and thank you for all you have done!
    Couple questions:
    To order your book is it the same way?
    And to become a Uzitalk supporter is it now paypal to one of the two gentlemen who are taking over?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thanks for all you have done and keeping the site going.

That's great news! Good luck in your next endeavor.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
    Couple questions:
    To order your book is it the same way?
    And to become a Uzitalk supporter is it now paypal to one of the two gentlemen who are taking over?
    Yes, you can still order my book from the page in the library. That will stay. The supporter donations will go to me until this year's hosting costs are covered (they aren't yet), and then they'll go to the new owners. Thanks for considering it.
    Looking for the definitive reference book on UZI history and technical information? Check out my book The UZI Submachine Gun Examined. Details to order a copy are here.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Keep up the great work!
    Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

Over time, I’m sure David and Andy will start implementing some updates to ensure the site stays current with technology and with user interests.
    Does this mean someone will finally buy an SSL cert for the site?

Great site. Great news.

UZI Talk Supporter

Congrats been around the block with all of them good people.mossad1

UZI Talk Life Member
    Dave,
    Thanks for all the great years of UZI Talk!
    I wish you nothing but the best with your new pursuits and that you have more free time. Maybe free time to visit AZ in early December for the 3-Day Small Arms Review Show like the good old days!
    Speaking of which, hereís a blast from the past: UZI Talk T-shirts go to war in Iraq (2006):

-Bill
    Old Arizona saying: "A rattlesnake in the house ends all talk about animal rights!"

UZI Talk Supporter
    Congrats, RoverDave!!! My best wishes for your future endeavors.

Administrator

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by b_saan View Post
    Does this mean someone will finally buy an SSL cert for the site?
    Yes, it does. Hopefully very soon.

Sometime this year, we will migrate the site to our dedicated server that houses Sturm and Machinegunboards, along with a few other sites.

I need a little bit of time to get my bearings around the forum controls, since it's a different software type that runs Uzitalk. Once we've migrated the server, we'll start to look at what software updates are available.

Uzitalk and Machinegunboards have long had synergies. Dave and I had sort of a "gentlemen's agreement" that we would not add more overlapping boards, such as a Thompson board here, or an Uzi board on Machinegunboards. I had many requests at MGB to add M16, Mac, HK, and S&W Model 76 boards, but I didn't add them there because they are great boards here. There are a couple of overlapping boards, such as the Reising and Sten boards, but they were already in place when MGB was acquired in 2008.

I want to sincerely thank Dave for all his time and efforts to make Uzitalk what it is today, and for entrusting the future of the site with us. Thanks as well to all here who further the hobby through posting, reading, and learning. I also want to thank the moderators, past and present.

I registered on Uzitalk 11 months after it started, in November 2003. I have not posted often, but have always enjoyed coming here, usually perusing the Mac board. I don't own an Uzi, but I've owned NFA items for 34 years, many of which are represented by forums on this site. My collecting passions are around all things Thompson and Reising, and to just a bit lesser extent, Stens and Macs. I'm also a fanatic about paper items associated with firearms.

So thank you in advance for your patience and support as we welcome Uzitalk as a new "sister site" to Machinegunboards.com and Sturmgewehr.com.

Thanks Again!

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
    Past Pres., The American Thompson Assoc.
    NRA Life/ASAC/OGCA/GCA/TCA/CC/IAA
    Writer-SAR Magazine
    Co-Author,"Thompson Manuals,Catalogs,& Other Paper Items"
    Other Author,"The Ultimate Thompson Book"

UZI Talk Life Member

Hard to believe how fast the time goes.Since I joined I have probably only missed 15 days on here.It has been a great place to hang out and I hope it always remains that way. Than You Dave. Chadster.
    My Sex Life Is Like A Ferrari,I Don't Have A Ferrari.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Wow. This was a shock to read!! But, I totally understand. Time passes and life desires and directions change. We've shared a lot of the same passion over the years... AND the same Birthday! LoL.... Wish ya the best Dave and you know I'll stay in touch. Thanks for all you've done for the site and the Uzi community!!

UZI Talk Life Member

Thanks Dave for a great site and welcome to the new owners.

Enjoy your time off!!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Sad to see you go Dave. Thanks again for everything... hope to see you around.

+ Reply to Thread