UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FTE on a Sterling Rifle Type II

FTE on a Sterling Rifle Type II

Hey guys, I just bought a Sterling rifle type II from CAI (Masterpiece) and finally got it to the range this weekend.

It shoots 1 or 2 rounds before failing to eject and jamming up. Just asking if there is any way to remedy or troubleshoot this before I ship it out to Masterpiece Arms.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Aboard, Shipmate!

CONGRATS on your new Sterling! Let me ask the most obvious questions first:

1. Did you give it a good Cleaning and Oiling before Firing? All of that Shipping Gunk has got to be removed, inside and out..... especially inside!
    2. What Brand/Type Ammo are you shooting? Steel Case? Brass Case? Hollow Point? Round Nose? 115gr? 124gr? 147gr?
    3. Are you holding onto the Mag when you're shooting it? This will cause Feeding, and possibly other problems.

FYI, I shoot WWB 115gr FMJ Ammo from Walley World, and it cycles through my Type I just fine.

Please let us know when you can! Thanks!

Cheers!

BB

Thanks for the welcome!

to answer your questions:

1. Did you give it a good Cleaning and Oiling before Firing? All of that Shipping Gunk has got to be removed, inside and out..... especially inside!

Absolutely, I took the rifle apart, degreased everything in mineral spirits and re-lubed everything (including the mags).

2. What Brand/Type Ammo are you shooting? Steel Case? Brass Case? Hollow Point? Round Nose? 115gr? 124gr? 147gr?
    I tried a few types of ammo (all brass)
    Federal 115Gr Round nose
    WWB 124gr NATO
    Blazer 124gr

3. Are you holding onto the Mag when you're shooting it? This will cause Feeding, and possibly other problems.
    Holding on to the shroud, as I read that holding the mag is a big no no.

To tell you the truth I think the problem is the way the barrel was installed from factory. The cut out at the ramp of the barrel for the extractor is off by about 1/8" from the cutout in the actual receiver (please see pic).

I ordered a pin spanner wrench in order to loosen the barrel and realign it.

UZI Talk Life Member

This is what you're going to find when you get the nut off.

Name:  type+II+front.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  25.7 KB

The barrel is indexed at the front trunnion. So, there could be a problem with the barrel or one of the trunnions is not aligned correctly.

If you bought it new, I would return it and get another one.

(pic from Weapons Guild)

Ok Guys, just as an update.

It looks like the ejector pin is not making contact with the spent shell when the rifle is cycling, the bolt and extractor are functioning correctly. This is causing the spent shell to not be ejected and a new round to be loaded causing the jam.

I've contacted masterpiece arms and they said they would take care of it under warranty. I just got back from Fedex, hopefully I get my baby back good as new.

UZI Talk Life Member

Thanks for the update. Nice to see them standing behind their product.

Let us know how it turns out when you get it back.

Just got my Sterling back from Masterpiece Arms, they had to "adjust" the extractor, looks like they added a longer ejector. As far as my testing with snap caps the carbine is functioning correctly, going to the range this thursday to confirm this.
    Last edited by Jericho Kid; 12-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member

That's interesting. It's usually the ejector.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    That's interesting. It's usually the ejector.
    That's correct, i meant to say ejector.

+ Reply to Thread