UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello all (with shame)

Hello all (with shame)

Brand new here folks. Here is my tale of shame.

I was attempting to the put on a new flash hider on my Galil AR, somehow or other the barrel budged loose. I know, I'm an idiot! I didn't even think i was applying that much pressure. Horrified and humbled and dismayed I put the rifle my locker to stew on for a bit. Is this a thing I can fix my self by wrenching it back into place? Or have I just created a new parts kit for myself?

Thanks for you wisdom and I humbly welcome your shame..

UZI Talk Supporter
    Welcome! No shame at all, every one of us has done something similar or worse. It can be fixed, but if you're not familiar with gunsmithing, I'd recommend taking or sending it to someone who knows what they are doing. You can crush the receiver in a vise trying to tighten the barrel.

The barrel is supposed to be initially torqued to 150' pounds, x 3 reps. That info from Jeff Miller and from a Depot level armorer for Armscor(?) who built R4,5,and 6s for SADF. That seems like you must have 'budged' a lot if the barrel was torqued correctly. May I ask if this was a build from someone or what? Reason I ask is because my barrel was on at about 20' pounds of torque. Far under what it is supposed to be. Hope you get it corrected. Andy

I've built several galils, by no means should the barrel should have done that if installed properly. If you've got a torque wrench a vice and a crows foot you can reinstall the barrel. But I'd check headspace after torqued to correct spec. Your headspace might be too tight if it was headspaced with the barrel that loose. Lastly with the barrel at the correct spec the gas tube and gas block may not line up correctly along with the handguard cut. So be careful if you decide to try and fix it as with it tightened correctly it might cause you a few other issues.

Thanks all, im gonna take it to a smith. Hopefully I can get it fixed up. Wish I had the tools and know how to fix it myself, but thats just how it crumbles I guess.

If the barrel was populated without being at the correct torque, about the only thing that would save that barrel is the use of a breeching washer. Some FALs (notably the L1A1) use them to correct timing issues. But that's a guessing game to get it to time at 12:00 with the correct torque. I am in the same boat due to a shoddy builder. I wish you the best.

+ Reply to Thread