UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best suppressor ?

UZI Talk Supporter

Best suppressor ?

I have a Vector Uzi (NFA) and I am interested in a suppressor for it. What are the recommendations? Thanks

UZI Talk Life Member
    Either Vector arms or Gemtech. They both excellent.
    NRA and Safari Club Life member

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    what are you looking for? Smallest, lightest,quietest? Do you want a 3lug or more of a dedicated type can? Is disassembly a requirement for you (really shouldn't be). A lot of people really like the gemtech mk9k in the 3lug config. I have a raptor that I really like and it is pretty small and light. Is price a concern? If so I had DAW rebuild a coastal can that I won here off of UZITALK (thanks Stoverarms and Cookie) that is extremely quiet although large. Buying a coastal can and having it rebuilt should not run you more than $300 plus taxes. I am sure a lot more people will chime in with their own recommendations and why. If I could only have 1 smg can it would have to be a raptor or a MK9K 3lug.

UZI Talk Supporter
    My vote also goes for the MK-9K. Most versitile and effective suppressor for a small machine gun with 3-lug!

UZI Talk Supporter
    I love my MK9K as well. I also have a SWR Trident9 that doubles as a subgun suppressor, but I have not tried it on my uzis yet. It is purportedly very effective on subguns, though.

"Best" suppressor is a touchy subject these days- it's all subjective. Probably any offering from Gemtech, SWR, Vector, AWC, or AAC will be excellent.

Gemtech: Raptor9, MK9K, Mossad

SWR: Trident9, QD3K

AWC: MK9

AAC: Avenger, Striker 2

Vector sells 9mm and .45 suppressors

It's really up to you and how much you want to spend and how large and heavy a can you think you want. Some people only want lighter cans, some people want heavy, all steel cans.

I like the MK9K because it produces a low tone and is short and fat (purely asthetic, nothing wrong with a long slim or long fat can). I saw and heard many different uzi suppressors in action at the Camden, Tennessee, machine gun shoot last fall, and they were all quiet. Uzitalk member "r" had an AWC MK9 on his uzi, and it was very quiet, as I recall.

UZI Talk Life Member
    As most of the regulars here now, I'm a huge MK9K fan.
    I listed "my" ten reasons why I like the MK9K the best on this old thread:
    http://www.uzitalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8354

As others have stated, "best" is a subjective term. Like asking what's the best car...

UZI Talk Supporter
    silencertests.com

or here's a direct link.

http://silencertests.com/reviews/lis...tby=suppressed

NFAtalk.org

FFL/C&R
    UZI Talk Life Member

AWC MK9...

Of Course!

Sure... it's SPOOKY Quiet, built like a tank, no POI shift & all...
    BUT... it's kinda big at 2" x 12"
    BUT... with all that volume, it can handle EXTREME ROF
    &... it doesn't blow a bunch of KRAP back into your face!

It's got a kinda KOOL tactile magnetic particle crinkle finish & the AWC NOMEX cover is THICK.

The co-axial design (suppressor within a suppressor) eliminates FRP & runs pretty damn KOOL.

IMHO, the 3rd gen post '92 MK9s with scalloped eccentric K baffles are the BEST on the market.

+1 for AWC MK9

Its friggin spookie quiet.

UZI Talk Supporter
    You know the loudest part of a suppressed UZI is the mechanical noise from the bolt slamming back and forth. At the UZI talk III we had a hard time comparing the Raptor, Mossad, MK9K etc. they all sounded kinda the same. Most guys DID like the sound of the MK9K though.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Regarding the MK9 to the MK9K, I'll defer to Dr. Dater who designed them both.
    The following is a post Dater made back in 2004 on AR15.com

"The AWC MK-9 dates back to the summer of 1984. It is a coaxial design (tube within a tube) and used stamped stainless baffles. It is a large volume can and in its original configuration (12" long) did a solid 32 dB reduction all day long. It is a rugged workhorse.

The front endcap and rear mount screw into the central core and hold the outer tube in compression, making it unbelievably rigid. By design, there are no machine operations on the outer tube which carries the serial number (a selling point in the paranoid 1980s when parts posession wqas OK). I did the basic original design, and Tim Bixler improved it to incorporate the interchangable rear mounts for different weapons. A shorter version (10" tube) was built with about a 28 dB reduction.

About 1991 I shortened it by 4-1/2 inches to the MK-9K, which maintained the same level of performance (32 dB) and which I built under my Automatic Weapons Co and as Gemtech. We just discontinued it due to falling demand. The MK-9K was less universsal in its mounting configurations but had more efficient gas diversion into the outer chamber. I believe AWC subsequently built a similar version.

AWC's redesigning it to use the K-baffle may or may not be an improvement. The K-baffle is pressure driven, and with the large volume of the suppressor, there is some question in my mind as to how much it would improve the overall reduction. In all honesty, once you get past 32 dB in a 9mm can, few can hear any further improvement as the bullet flight noise and ejection port noise become dominant. Depending on how the entrance chaber is handled, fist round pop reduction is a definite possibility. I would be interested in testing one.

Regardless, the MK-9 is a real workhorse, and it is one of the few older cans that is a real bargain on the used market. Although large, it performs as well as almost anything alse availanble. It's only drawback is that it is big."

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ArevaloSOCOM
    silencertests.com

or here's a direct link.

http://silencertests.com/reviews/lis...tby=suppressed

Just an FYI: Robert Silvers has a contract with AAC. In my opinion, that seriously undermines the "neutrality" of his "2005 suppressor awards." Clearly, the man had a serious conflict of interest, as he was wooing AAC to get the company to license and produce his new suppressor design. He failed to disclose the conflict until well AFTER those awards came out. Now almost every time someone asks for a suppressor recommendation, he says AAC is the way to go. Makes me wonder....

Edited to add: This is not a personal attack on Silvers himself, but an observation that raises critical questions about possible bias toward AAC. I say this only because many people seem to take Silvers at his word without talking to other, totally unbiased suppressor owners about their experiences with cans that they have been using for years. I solicit comments from multiple owners before I buy anything.
    Last edited by trakker45; 05-25-2006 at 03:40 PM.

Dolphin Shooter thinks my M11 slowfire with AWC Mk9 is the quietest Mac he' ever heard...

I was walking around the shoot last weekend, and listening to my Mk9 while others shot it, and a fellas new Mk9K, the Mk9 sounded quietest, while the Mk9K had a "piff" sound about it, along with a smaller can on a MP5 that was there.

I need to get my "fast" bolt opened up to pass my fat barrel and see how the Mac sounds at speed with the Mk9..

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by trakker45
    Just an FYI: Robert Silvers has a contract with AAC. In my opinion, that seriously undermines the "neutrality" of his "2005 suppressor awards." Clearly, the man had a serious conflict of interest, as he was wooing AAC to get the company to license and produce his new suppressor design. He failed to disclose the conflict until well AFTER those awards came out. Now almost every time someone asks for a suppressor recommendation, he says AAC is the way to go. Makes me wonder....

Edited to add: This is not a personal attack on Silvers himself, but an observation that raises critical questions about possible bias toward AAC. I say this only because many people seem to take Silvers at his word without talking to other, totally unbiased suppressor owners about their experiences with cans that they have been using for years. I solicit comments from multiple owners before I buy anything.
    I'm aware of that but his contract has nothing to do with Db reading page on the page I linked, but it's good you mentioned it b/c he is VERY biasis towards AAC.

NFAtalk.org

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UZI SBR AWC
    Dolphin Shooter thinks my M11 slowfire with AWC Mk9 is the quietest Mac he' ever heard...

I was walking around the shoot last weekend, and listening to my Mk9 while others shot it, and a fellas new Mk9K, the Mk9 sounded quietest, while the Mk9K had a "piff" sound about it, along with a smaller can on a MP5 that was there.

I need to get my "fast" bolt opened up to pass my fat barrel and see how the Mac sounds at speed with the Mk9..
    Lets try that again when I am not getting Baffle strikes.

Passed you on the interstate going home.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Could the AWC can be permantly attched to a cut down barrel to avoid ehaving to SBR the rifle?

Anyone ever done this?

Anyone see any problems that could arrise out of this?

I just HATE to have to SBR to get a can on my UZI I would rather have a overall length 16" = Barrrel + can combo.....
    NFAtalk.org

AWC

The AWC can is set up to use the short barrel stub that sticks forward of the barrel nut, cannot be any longer.

Note the fake barrel stub installed to the end cap and how far it installs into the ported sleeve just above.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I think Arevalo was referring to making a setup that would include a little bit longer barrel with a perm. attached can to achieve a 16" overal length. Kind of like pinning a FH on an M4 barrel.

Looking at the parts, I'm not sure that is possible.

Jake

The AWC MK9 is only 12 inches. Somehow you'd have to come up with another 4 inches which I don't think would be feasable. Sorry dude

+ Reply to Thread