UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drop in Auto sear

Drop in Auto sear

Michigan recently made it possible to own class 3 firearms,Any thoughts on
    The full auto drop in sear,s.Is it possible to,as in legal to register such a thing.
    Seen a thread on Lighting Links,Same animal?
    Thanks

Drop in sears and lightning links are two completely different things although they produce the same results.....fullauto fire.

And no it is not legal to build or register a new one of either unless you are properly licensed by the BATFE.

Seems that a RDIAS is selling for more than some AR15 conversions these days. I prefer a registered receiver but a sear does have the attraction of being able to use most semi lowers as a host, which gives it great flexibility. You could use the MGI multiple caliber lower or an AR47 for example.

A lightning link will not work with all uppers so it negates one of the main attractions of the M16, the ease of changing calibers by simply changing the upper. If all you want to do is shoot .223 it is less expensive than a RR or RDIAS. Since a legal registered link isn't cheap I'd opt for an Uzi, Sterling etc. before buying a link. My.02 YMMV

There are more drop-in sears setting in sugar bowels than you would believe....for the SHTF...

There are more drop-in sears setting in sugar bowels than you would believe

Probly same as the sheetmetal LL's floating all about along with the AK LL/DIAS.

A rLL is still a pretty good deal in today's market as they're around 6.5k. Where will you find a fully transferable M16 or sear at that price. The LL works in all calibers except for the Ciener 22 kit. I've fired on in 7.62x39, 9mm, .45, and 7.62x25. Only negative on both the sear and LL is that they need tuning for the particular upper/lower combo whereas a RR will be running day one.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosco
    Michigan recently made it possible to own class 3 firearms,Any thoughts on
    The full auto drop in sear,s.Is it possible to,as in legal to register such a thing.
    Thanks
    Rosco

Can't make new ones for private ownership since May '86 as has been discussed. However, there are many grandfathered ones out there and yes, they are expensive, and yes you can get one if you're willing to spend the money. If you have the dough, are patient and live in a jurisdiction where getting a CLEO sign-off is easy, then you're all set.
    "Tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people.... The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision... Assuming you can never lose your freedom, is a mistake a free people get to make only once."
    --Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth Circuit Court in Silviera v. Lockyer

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have a RDIAS and couldnt be happier. I use it in my suppressed 9mm upper, with a ciener kit, and 10.5" upper. I never have had issues with it and it runs perfectly in whatever gun I put it in without fiddling with it. I can pop it out and put it in a brand new AR15 and I have a new M16 everytime. I bout an HK sear for the same reasons.

Gotta get the MP5 in there....

The only things about the DIAS I do not like is:
    -It is a small part, and can get lost and that would be tragic.
    -There are so many AR lowers and many have rear channels that need dremilled to get the DIAS to fit.
    -Shims are needed on receivers that have too wide of rear channels.
    -I hear that the steel ones are the only way to go, aluminum are good, but there are pot metal ones out there that I wouldnt buy.
    -Caliber conversions are easy enough on a registered receiver.
    -I cant imagine a DIAS lasting longer than a RR lower.
    -Having multiple ARs set-up in less than legal overall lengths is a legal problem. Someone may have two 10" ARs and swap the DIAS around. That means when the sear is out, one gun is illegal. Unless it is registered as an SBR. All the M-16 parts should also be removed when moving to another gun for legality, which is a pain in the butt. Mind as well swap the grip, stock and upper with other things for another config instead.

I realize the advantages too:
    -You can beat up your weapon and the value of the DIAS will still go up.
    -There are some odd AR configs that a RR lower can't mimic or wouldnt want to due to modification requirement leading to damaging the lower's value.
    -You can hide this registered part easily.(although just the RR lower could too, but to a lesser extent.)
    -If it breaks, reweld it.(you can reweld a RR lower too, but it will most likely be noticeable)
    -The DIAS is more for shooters, the RR lower is more for collectors.
    -You can make the AR look like a semi as the lower is not marked AUTO and mess with people's minds at the range. They will wonder how it is shooting full auto without seeing the sear pin on the side of the reciever.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike85220
    The only things about the DIAS I do not like is:
    -It is a small part, and can get lost and that would be tragic.
    -There are so many AR lowers and many have rear channels that need dremilled to get the DIAS to fit.
    -Shims are needed on receivers that have too wide of rear channels.
    -I hear that the steel ones are the only way to go, aluminum are good, but there are pot metal ones out there that I wouldnt buy.
    -Caliber conversions are easy enough on a registered receiver.
    -I cant imagine a DIAS lasting longer than a RR lower.
    -Having multiple ARs set-up in less than legal overall lengths is a legal problem. Someone may have two 10" ARs and swap the DIAS around. That means when the sear is out, one gun is illegal. Unless it is registered as an SBR. All the M-16 parts should also be removed when moving to another gun for legality, which is a pain in the butt. Mind as well swap the grip, stock and upper with other things for another config instead.

I realize the advantages too:
    -You can beat up your weapon and the value of the DIAS will still go up.
    -There are some odd AR configs that a RR lower can't mimic or wouldnt want to due to modification requirement leading to damaging the lower's value.
    -You can hide this registered part easily.(although just the RR lower could too, but to a lesser extent.)
    -If it breaks, reweld it.(you can reweld a RR lower too, but it will most likely be noticeable)
    -The DIAS is more for shooters, the RR lower is more for collectors.
    -You can make the AR look like a semi as the lower is not marked AUTO and mess with people's minds at the range. They will wonder how it is shooting full auto without seeing the sear pin on the side of the reciever.

Many valid point. But I cant imagine how Id lose my RDIAS....the same can be said for diamond earings, wedding rings, etc.... I dont need any shims....most any lower has a normal shelf for a RDIAS (Bushmaster, DPMS, others. Colt the notable exception but no way am I going to buy Colt anything the way they treat civilian sales). I have fired thousands of rounds and I havent noticed any wear, and if the trip did wear its a very easy replacement on a RDIAS. And as for multiple uppers...how is that any different from the RR. A RDIAS in a lower is the same thing as a RR. By the letter of the law if you have one RR and one AR-15, you should really only possess one NFA upper.

Of course many people want a genuine M16 and I can see the value in that. The biggest trump card that puts the RDAIS on top though is the MGI lower with changeable magwells, and the beltfed upper for it that is not compatable with a RR

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox
    There are more drop-in sears setting in sugar bowels than you would believe....for the SHTF...

+1

I like one I saw, I forget where, it was in a glass presentation case.......with a tiny hammer, on the glass it said.........."Break in case of SHTF".

I should have bought one.

NFAtalk.org

+ Reply to Thread