UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carnival Air powered machine guns?

Carnival Air powered machine guns?

Most of us have been to various carnivals and shot the little red star out (or tried to) with the air powered thompson machine gun. Was wondering what the legalities were of owning/making such an air powered machine gun and also any sources for them. I am sure that the carnival operators have sold them. I think it would be a fun addition to a basement or garage. Any leads?

Thanks.
    FlaSport

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm

(3) The term "firearm" means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

no explosion = no firearm right?

Quote Originally Posted by FlaSport
    Most of us have been to various carnivals and shot the little red star out (or tried to) with the air powered thompson machine gun. Was wondering what the legalities were of owning/making such an air powered machine gun and also any sources for them. I am sure that the carnival operators have sold them. I think it would be a fun addition to a basement or garage. Any leads?

Thanks.
    FlaSport
    The 'Tommy Guns' are made by Lone Star Inc, It said that on the side of one, There are two versions, One like a Tommy Gun, One Like a Tommy Gun but with a cooling jacket thing and a handle on top similar to an M16.

I would also like to own one, With a paintball gun c02 bottle underneath to power it.

Does anyone have images of one?

Hey ya go jabroni!

http://www.geocities.com/bbmachinegun/review5.htm

Those pics bring back some nice memories of the anxious wait for the fair to show up every fall where I grew up!

I have wanted one for a long time. I have seen them for sale on some of the gun boards in the past.

Last one I saw was on subguns and they wanted over a $1000 for it. Not NIB, no compressor, just the beat up carnival gun.

There's an article in the latest Shotgun News about these. There's a new book coming out on these as well. Evidently someone did buy the rights to produce these from the original manufacturer. I don't know if any are actually being manufactured right now though.

UZI Talk Supporter
    A friend bought one at an antique store for $150, took it home, disassembled, cleaned and brought it back to life. After having some fun he put up photos on a website and eventually had people asking to buy it - yes he gave in.

He photographed all the pieces for reference when he broke it down (it was siezed up when he got it).

There's also some other links he found about them.

http://lostkender.com/bbgun.html
    "He who controls the spice controls the universe."

UZI Talk Life Member
    Its basiclly an Airsoft or BB gun.

Founder
    I saw one of these on eBay a while back.
    "I freed thousands of slaves. I could have freed thousands more, if they had known they were slaves."
    Harriet Tubman

I seem to remember that Jerry Prasser had some of those laying around. I can't remember the details, but I think he had bought into them as an investment or bought the rights to one of the name brands or as a hobby. I can't remember those that well, but they looked pretty neat.

Jerry is out of Fond Du Lac and can be reached by uzing the recommended dealer list over at www.subguns.com

There is also a fairly recent FA bb gun made in Russia that was getting great reviews a year or two ago. Those could be had a lot cheaper than the classic carnival gun. The Russian gun was called Drozd, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by amd6547
    There is also a fairly recent FA bb gun made in Russia that was getting great reviews a year or two ago. Those could be had a lot cheaper than the classic carnival gun. The Russian gun was called Drozd, I think.

http://www.airgundepot.com/eaa-drozd.html

That's the full auto BB gun----or just do a goggle search---there's a forum dedicated to modifications to this gun---adjusting rate of fire, dying the whole gun black, adding bigger CO2 tanks, etc (can't find it this minute but...) They also sell these things on gunbroker

So, this reference will surely date me, or anyone who remembers them. My first "machine gun" was purchased by me out of the back of Field and Stream back in the late 1970's. It was, if I remember, an M-19 AMP machine gun. It held 3,000 BB's and would empty the BB chamber in just over a minute. It had some major punch as well, (at least until the gas started to go). We had an icehouse down the road from us and would haul blocks of ice in a wagon attached to my go-cart. The AMP would waste them. I wish I had pictures. It wasn't very environmentally friendly however as it ran on....FREON.... I don't think R-34 would cut it... I got years of fun out of that gun until (A.) Freon was banned and (B.) The gas seal gave out. Several attempts at repair/conversion were unsuccessful and I dumped it at a gun show in my 20's for 10-bucks. I think I remember paying $49.95 for it. Great fun for the hard-earned dough....

UZI Talk Supporter
    About 12 years ago, I was talking to the owner of Recon Ordinance. He told me that he was restoring one ,but the Manufactorer wouldn't sell him any parts, and was retiring. The guy at Recon purchased the company,and inventory, and was going to start making new guns, on new CNC machines. I did see a few ads for new guns, several years ago for $ 1000-$1500 per gun, in Shotgun News.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today can burn your ass tomorrow!

UZI Talk Life Member
    The name of the carnival guns is Feltman.
    Opera Non Verbra

UZI Talk Life Member
    The freon powered gun was from Larc International.
    Opera Non Verbra

Quote Originally Posted by smg-45
    About 12 years ago, I was talking to the owner of Recon Ordinance. He told me that he was restoring one ,but the Manufactorer wouldn't sell him any parts, and was retiring. The guy at Recon purchased the company,and inventory, and was going to start making new guns, on new CNC machines. I did see a few ads for new guns, several years ago for $ 1000-$1500 per gun, in Shotgun News.
    That sounds familiar.

The Drozd bb machineguns are really great, but I burned out my barrel after a little over 10,000 rounds. Imagine that! I dyed mine mottled brown, added a fake supressor hiding a barrel extension, upped the velocity to a little over 700FPS, and upped the rate of fire to 1025FPS. (All mods are of my own design, including the electronics) I need to replace the barrel and I'll be right back to blasting backyard pests with it! I've killed many an airborne pigeon out at the farm with it. Beware the power though. I put a round through the galvanized steel roof after it riccocheted off a pigeon. I'm glas it was only one hole, not a full 6 round burst!

I had one of the weird AMP guns by Larc. They had the ad for the carbine and pistol version for around $30 back in the 80's in Firepower magazines.

It was fun, but it made the Freon go cold so dang fast. I think it shot 2000 rounds per minute, it seemed that way.

It had a gasket go bad and freon became illegal to buy from the auto stores so I got rid of it.

I should have just fixed it and waited for the day to get an air compressor. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike85220
    I had one of the weird AMP guns by Larc. They had the ad for the carbine and pistol version for around $30 back in the 80's in Firepower magazines.

It was fun, but it made the Freon go cold so dang fast. I think it shot 2000 rounds per minute, it seemed that way.

It had a gasket go bad and freon became illegal to buy from the auto stores so I got rid of it.

I should have just fixed it and waited for the day to get an air compressor. Oh well...
    Yeah, that's what happened to mine too. I had the model with the screw on buttstock - my friends thought I was the coolest kid on the block, (which I wasn't)... Once the gas seal went and no more were available, it was over...

+ Reply to Thread