UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Full Auto Tec-9

Full Auto Tec-9

Are there any fully transferable full auto (converted) Tec-9's? I've never seen one for sale. Just curious.

UZI Talk Supporter

yeah, i asked the same question a little while ago, we came to the conclusion that they exist, but are incredibly rare.

I don't think it would be very good...

UZI Talk Life Member

There are a few MP-9s which are the FAs that the TEC is based on. I don't know if they are better built than the Tecs - they were the FA platform that the early open bolt KG-9s were based on.....

In 1996 a shop locally had two TEC-9 smgs for sale, $500 a piece and they were in test fired only condition.

I had enough for one but not both, and saved up to get both. When I had the money to get both they were gone. I should have put the cash down and held both and paid off the rest before the paperwork came back. ATF was taking 6 months+ back then for form 4s.

There is three types of full auto TEC-9 type guns. There are factory KG-9s by Interdynamics, not many. There are only 9 factory Intratec MP-9s. There are a lot of the B&G bolt conversion guns. There are a few registered receiver conversions.

The factory and RR guns do not interest me at all. The TEC-9 type guns have issues with their lower receivers, they crack. This happens on the semi-auto versions and even quicker with the smgs. The lower can be mended, but would you trust a glued up machinegun lower? Me either...

The B&G bolts are strong and will outlast the TEC. If the TEC breaks, it can be moved to another TEC.

Unfortunately, TECs are just not very reliable guns in general.
    Using factory magazines and good ammo helps, but they still have hiccups.

What sucks is that the TEC-9 smgs were always cheaper in price to the MAC-10s. They wanted $500-$750 for the TEC-9s when the MAC-10s were $750-$1000. THe MAC-10s are now $3000 average, and the friggin TEC-9s when they show are $6000. I think they are showing up less and less because they are all falling apart, honestly.

UZI Talk Life Jerk Ass
    I beg to Differ.
    I personally Shot MP-9 serial #0025.
    Ran Flawlessly
    Fine weapon.
    Should have bought it.
    Local 12 Operating Engineer

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Mike your high! You just developed a taste for things plastic!

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duke
    I beg to Differ.
    Ran Flawlessly
    Fine weapon.
    Should have bought it.

Is the MP-9 lower built the same way as the Tecs ? I know they are plastic and will crack if you run hot ammo through, but the other thing that always bothered me about the Tecs is the sear. Its is pretty flimsy - always reminded me of a pull tab from a soda can.

Maybe the MP=9s and KG-9s had heavier duty sears - since they are OB guns, the sear has to stop the entire bolt when the trigger is released. On the Tec, it just stops the firing pin..

I have never seen an MP-9 in the flesh and never looked inside a KG-9. All I know is that flimsy little sear in the Tec seems like it would fail pretty quickly if it had to stop the entire bolt assembly. Anyone know ?

UZI Talk Life Jerk Ass
    Didnt get to take it apart.
    Or have a semi to compare it to.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chili17
    Mike... You developed a taste for things plastic!
    Including B(.)(.)BS!

UZI Talk Supporter
    NFAtalk.org

The SMG versions do have heavier sears. They are available at www.sksparts.com
    It should be a must do on a converted TEC, but is not always so.
    I have even seen one TEC-9 that had a selector switch on it which was a gunsmith upgrade, neat.

Anyways, TECs work for awhile then they start becoming what they always do, jamamatics.

The MP-9 you shot was probably low mileage.

I never heard one good feedback about full auto or semi auto TECs until this thread.

Not saying your wrong that it did not run great, but I am betting it wouldnt after a few thousand rounds.

It usually is that extractor that is held in by just a screw that likes to back out from oscillation that makes them jam. But that is just one thing.

Nothing would be worse than having a plastic lower that is worth $6000 break. Mending them is possible, but like I said, would you really want to have something that shoots 9mm at 1800 rpms with a questionable lower?

Quote Originally Posted by piston hurricane
    Are there any fully transferable full auto (converted) Tec-9's? I've never seen one for sale. Just curious.
    I know that this is an old ad, but it does show one for sale; first gun, left column. Maybe it's still out there:

Here's a couple more, for "old times sake":

I think that we need to get to work on repealing the FOPA.

We could make an actual paper contract, and send it throughout the country and get actual people to sign it.

According to the Constitution, the government MUST listen if the people give them a petition.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

EDIT: Forgot, the right of the people to keep and bear arms is also Constitutionally guaranteed.

UZI Talk Life Jerk Ass
    Am I the only one who read all of it.

Would that guy be pissed if I called on the Flame thrower.
    I would really like a nice Flame Thrower.

UZI Talk Supporter

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelrat
    I know that this is an old ad, but it does show one for sale; first gun, left column. Maybe it's still out there:

Here's a couple more, for "old times sake":

Now I'm depressed. All the low prices on Uzi's, M11's, M16's, M60's...

Cory

UZI Talk Supporter
    Tec-9 and KG99 for sale here:
    http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/i...uery=retrieval
    (not my guns)
    "He who controls the spice controls the universe."

Yeah I saw those. I guess there is some collector value in them but to me, for those prices you would be better off buying an Uzi or Sterling. Much better guns.

Please excuse me for dredging this up from 2 1/2 years ago, but it came up in a google search and I have this compulsion to correct or add to Interdynamic & Intratec information (or misinformation) as I run across it on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike85220
    1) There is three types of full auto TEC-9 type guns. There are factory KG-9s by Interdynamics, not many. There are only 9 factory Intratec MP-9s. There are a lot of the B&G bolt conversion guns. There are a few registered receiver conversions.

2) The factory and RR guns do not interest me at all. The TEC-9 type guns have issues with their lower receivers, they crack. This happens on the semi-auto versions and even quicker with the smgs. The lower can be mended, but would you trust a glued up machinegun lower? Me either...

3) The B&G bolts are strong and will outlast the TEC. If the TEC breaks, it can be moved to another TEC.

4) Unfortunately, TECs are just not very reliable guns in general.
    Using factory magazines and good ammo helps, but they still have hiccups.

5) What sucks is that the TEC-9 smgs were always cheaper in price to the MAC-10s. They wanted $500-$750 for the TEC-9s when the MAC-10s were $750-$1000. THe MAC-10s are now $3000 average, and the friggin TEC-9s when they show are $6000. I think they are showing up less and less because they are all falling apart, honestly. Broken up into numbers by repairman
    1) OK, so this is splitting hairs. There are 2 types of FA TEC style guns, registered receiver and registered bolt. The commercial bolts are either B&G or CATCO plus what ever number of self registered bolts were done on form 1s. For the registered receivers, there is only one factory SMG and that is the Interdynamic MP-9, KG-9s were never sold as a FA gun. KG-9, KG-99 and Early TEC-9 pistols are in the registry as registered receiver conversions but the numbers are low. According to Scorpion Armament, the 02 that converted my TEC-9, he did only a hand full of KG-99s & Tecs and no registered bolts. THe RR guns had open bolts with 2 cocking handle holes in them, one for the KG-99/TEC-9 slot and one for the KG-9/MP-9 slot. I can take the bolt from my TEC and use it in my MP-9, but the MP-9 bolt will not work in the TEC because of the differenced in the slot placement on the tube. By best research, there's a possibility that upwards of 45 - 50 MP-9s were made and also possible that not all were sold and entered into the NFA registry. Best research again shows that those of serial # 24 and less were made in select fire and with a collapsable stock. Those above serial number #24 were not select fire and had no wire stock installed either. I own #00024.

2) I beg to differ on the SMGs cracking faster. #1, the MP-9 is reinforced by the CNC'd buttstock mount and I've run thousands of hot 124gr NATO thru mine and no cracks at all. #2, open tube guns won't(shouldn't) crack IF the buffer is kept in good shape (or made sure that a buffer is there at all) and only 115gr ammo is used. Ammo above 115gr and/or no buffer in the rear will lead to cracks. Hell, I was told if I didn't keep a good buffer in my M11 smg, the bolt would crack the rear of the metal receiver. BUFFERS WORK!

3) 100% agree

4) semi autos with bad or cheap mags, I agree. I have a dozen or so factory
    /Scherer mags and making sure the feed lips are correct allows me to fire full mag sumps in the SMGs. Hell, I have 2 cheap-a$$ USA junk Brand 50 rounders that work because I keep after the feed lips.

5)I can only speak of 2000 and forward when I became interested in Title II weapons and at that time TEC-9s on Sturm were popping up at $1100 to $1500 and you could get M11/9s all day long for $800 to $900. I got my RR TEC for $1100. One month later on Sturm I answered a post about an Interdynamic MP-9 (never heard if it) and bought it too. (I'll never tell how much I paid for it ) The last MP-9 I saw up for sale was #20 about a year ago and the asking price was $15K IIRC.

Mike should know most of this stuff 'cause he's registered on both mine and SCA's TEC-9 yahoo groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duke
    I beg to Differ.
    Ran Flawlessly
    Fine weapon.
    Should have bought it.
    Yes you should,
    good for you,
    I'm sure it did,
    yes it was,
    yes you should have - given what it is worth today.
    Curious #20 & #15 are built just like mine , #30 & #31 have no buttstock and are not select fire, do you remember how #25 was built? Did it have the pull out 1/4" wire rod stock? was there a small lever in the trigger guard area? I'd like to confirm that mine is or is not the cut off for the fully built guns.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzer
    1) There are a few MP-9s which are the FAs that the TEC is based on. I don't know if they are better built than the Tecs - they were the FA platform that the early open bolt KG-9s were based on.....

2) Is the MP-9 lower built the same way as the Tecs ? I know they are plastic and will crack if you run hot ammo through, but the other thing that always bothered me about the Tecs is the sear. Its is pretty flimsy - always reminded me of a pull tab from a soda can.

3) Maybe the MP=9s and KG-9s had heavier duty sears - since they are OB guns, the sear has to stop the entire bolt when the trigger is released. On the Tec, it just stops the firing pin..

4) I have never seen an MP-9 in the flesh and never looked inside a KG-9. All I know is that flimsy little sear in the Tec seems like it would fail pretty quickly if it had to stop the entire bolt assembly. Anyone know ?
    1)MP-9s are actually made with the redesigned KG-99 molded lower, so that places them AFTER the first generation KG-9. Although the design existed on paper, I have never seen a picture or any physical reference to the Swedish SMG that is always referenced as the MP-9, "the gun that the KG-9 was based on." If anything, I have seen photos of an unnamed gun that resembles a TEC-9 except that it is made out of metal and has a curved mag like an MP5, now that could possibly be Kelgren's prototype that the TEC family is based on, but no confirmation on that one way or the other.

2)The MP-9 lower is made from the KG-99 lower molds with a few mods. First the name plug is changed to reflect "MODEL MP-9" and above the finger guard there are 2 circles, one with an "F" for single fire and an "A" for auto. I have a semi auto lower that shows the different model in the plug area and 2 faint circles where the F & A were plugged on the opposite side of the receiver.

3 & 4) The MP-9 sear is a bit heavier and has a full contact edge where the semi auto sear has an angle cut on the lead edge. My RR gun still has a semi auto sear in it and it works just fine.

I've attached a photo collage showing the KG-99 & MP-9 name plugs, Receiver with the select fire markings (also shows the select fire lever) and a semi auto receiver with the faint circles from the plugs where the F & A went on the MP-9.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Repairman; 04-07-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: added photo

UZI Talk Life Jerk Ass

#25 Was NOT select fire. It DID in fact have the slide out wire stock.
    Full Auto only gun.

+ Reply to Thread