UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Powder for 9mm?

UZI Talk Supporter

Powder for 9mm?

Alright what are you guy's using for Powder for 9mm. So far I have tried Bullseye, AA-5, Herco, 3N37, and N340. My subsonic load is 124 grn. plated bullet, whatever brass comes my way, Win primers,....and currently N340. My only issue with the 3N37 and N340 is cost and it can be hard to find. AA-5 is good but it leaves "little round balls" of residue...not a big deal but not as clean as the Vihtavuori. Bullseye seems a little fast....Uzi likes the slower burning Powders. Herco is really dirty. I am shooting suppressed part of the time so I am looking for a clean powder....something like N340 but cheaper. There are so many powders out there...any opinions?

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I have had really good luck with 3.8 gr of Bullseye and 147gr plated bullets. It burns clean works in everything i have tried it in. Get damn near 2000 charges a pound too. I love the Viht. powders they are just hit and miss locally so I shy away from them.

Registered User Scooty Puff Sr.'s Avatar
    Chili, do you know of a recipe that uses Clays?

Quote Originally Posted by chili17
    I have had really good luck with 3.8 gr of Bullseye and 147gr plated bullets. It burns clean works in everything i have tried it in. Get damn near 2000 charges a pound too. I love the Viht. powders they are just hit and miss locally so I shy away from them.

I'm using a similar recipe (3.6 - 3.8 gr of Bullseye and Berry's 147 gr plated bullets) and it works flawlessly in every 9mm gun (including my FS Uzi w/wo suppressor) I have. It is a little dirty, not as bad as the white box stuff.

You considered trying Blue Dot instead of Bullseye? 5.6 - 5.8 grains in the above recipe (3.6 - 3.8 gr of Bullseye and Berry's 147 gr plated bullets) in place of the Bullseye should give you the slower burn that you're looking for.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Sr.
    Hodgdon's website has info on this. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    Attached Images  
    "Tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people.... The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision... Assuming you can never lose your freedom, is a mistake a free people get to make only once."
    --Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth Circuit Court in Silviera v. Lockyer

UZI Talk Supporter

Blue Dot....well I will give that one a try....looks close to the burn rate of 3N38 or AA#7. Is it pretty clean? I love Bullseye in my .45 ACP but with the SMG's I like to glance and see that I did not load a squib and if you double charge it is even more obvious. Also with the heavier bullets/small volume case there is more of a pressure spike with the fast burning powders. I read somewhere that with flat base plated bullets this might distort or cause separation of the plating. Now with that in mind I loaded 2000 plus rnds of 147grn. Berry's over 3.7-3.8 of Bullseye with no evidence of this so who knows. I did have a problem with this combination cycling my Vector UZI SMG..others have no problems. Anyway I will try some Blue Dot...N340 and 3N37 work well but it can be hard to find locally....and the store that normally carries it wants $28.00 a pound! THX

Red Dot. Works good in 45 Colt, 45ACP, 9mm, 12GA. Very versatile powder. Groups well with lead bullets too.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Sr.
    Never used it in 9mm. I would guess for a 147gr bullet I would start around 3.1-3.2gr and see how that does. Are you wanting to load sub sonic?

Yes, I would want to load for sub sonic.

Muzzle, thank you for the information as well.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I use Unique for all of my 9mm subsonics. It burns much cleaner now (after they changed the formula) than when I first started using it years ago. 147gr Reinier Ballistics bullets and 4.2gr of Unique. My load table for 147gr bullets gives me starting loads of 5.9gr for Blue Dot and 3.7gr of Universal Clays. I've never tried Clays in my subsonic loads, but now that I noticed that they are on the list, I might have to try it.

I like Blue Dot for when I want lots of bright white fireball flash. It does burn clean,...when it burns. However, I often find little unburnt flakes of Blue Dot in the mechanizm of almost everything I shoot it in. Seems to me this could be an issue with a can, as the flakes might build up in the baffles and cause problems. I finally stopped using it in my revolvers for defensive ammo purposes after a couple instances where flakes got under the cylinder star and jammed the guns closed and difficult to open.

Spherical powder meters through my Dillon 550B's powder measure more easilly anyway, so I tend to use Accurate Arms powders quite a bit, with #5 and #7 being the primary powders in my stash.

3.2 grains of CLAYS looks good w/147gr bullet. 978FPS in an 8" barrel. Subsonic. MAKE SURE YOU VERIFY THIS DATA IN A GOOD LOADING MANUAL BEFORE USE!!!!!

Unique

Quote Originally Posted by gunbunny
    I use Unique for all of my 9mm subsonics. It burns much cleaner now (after they changed the formula) than when I first started using it years ago. 147gr Reinier Ballistics bullets and 4.2gr of Unique. My load table for 147gr bullets gives me starting loads of 5.9gr for Blue Dot and 3.7gr of Universal Clays. I've never tried Clays in my subsonic loads, but now that I noticed that they are on the list, I might have to try it.
    +1 on this Unique load.

Also, 3.4 g of Titegroup runs near same velocities through my Glocks, haven't chronied through UZI through).

Thanks Patriot, I will.

Scooty

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Just chronoed 147gr plated Xtreme bullet over 3.8gr of bulleseye.

High 1021fps
    Low 986fps
    average for 10 shots 1004fps

This was out of a 8.5 inch uzi barrel with custom suppressor.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Try Universal. I load 147 grain hardball with 3.0 grains of Universal Clays. It runs great in my Mac-10.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today can burn your ass tomorrow!

Banned
    have they changed the recipe for bullseye?
    I haven't reloaded in 10+ years but it was always a dirty, dirty poweder when I was using it. I also never was confident I got an even throw with the "flake" type powder.

UZI Talk Supporter

It is still dirty in my .45 but seems better/cleaner in 9mm. Maybe the higher pressures of the 9mm help with more complete burning. Clay's has a good rep for being clean but it still burns too fast for my taste in 9mm.

Win 231 has always worked great for me. Not the cleanest but cleaner than Unique. I gave up on the accurate flavors since I had to use 25%+ or more to get the same velocities and the unburnt powder got real old. When you realize how much more of the AA powders you have to use, it gets real expensive. VV's are great clean powders but theyre pricey. Im very happy with 231 for performance, metering, and cost.

+ Reply to Thread