UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magal build

Magal / Tiny Galil Build

here are a few pics of my Magal build . 30 carbine would be the correct caliber but 223 was the simplest option.

Machined the new gas block similar to the pics of the blackthorne micro gas block/sight base and turned the green mountain bbl and threaded 1/2x28 .
    Orf receiver needs to be radiused under the bbl the same as a micro receiver and the rear underside need to be smoothed slightly to fit the recess in the stock. Stock is original magal stock sold by blackthorne.

They also sell a gas block that looks very similar to mine, actualy I just coppied their design from the pic on their site. Not sure if its original design for the micro and magal but it looks nice and works well. I will update this thread in a few days with some better pics and a thread with details/pics of my micro build.

Last edited by panaceabeachbum; 05-07-2007 at 10:28 AM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Looks really nice PBB.
    The Magal in .30 had a special lighter and different designe recoil spring. It also used the Micro styled "shoulder thing that goes up" stock.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Sweet!!!Nice job, as usual,PBB.You make all the cool toys!!!

you are correct the magal uses the micro receiver which has a portion of the hinge mechanism machined as part of the receiver. With micro stocks costing $300 and micro receivers at $450 this was the cost effective way to come up with a neat gun. This one came to life as one of the old style receivers I ordered a few months ago (serial aprox 200) is covered in those rough looking tool marks visible in the pic and had writing in pencil all over it pointing out changes that needed to be made n future receivers. Really an ugly mess that never should have left ORF , covering it in the magal stock hides most of it.

I would have loved to have built it in 30 carbine but the parts count/cost was just ridiculous.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I notice you had cut off the peice of trigger guard/ housing or didnt install it. Is that piece avaliable? I need a Galil trigger guard / housing.

I LOVE it

for this build you have to use a straght magcatch tower from an ak and just cut the trigger gaurd off, the galil trigger gaurd I an using on a diff build

UZI Talk Life Member

Talking MORE Details

Very nice! Can't wait to see a range report on this one. How about some measurements and pictures of the gas block. Is it cold roll or something harder like 4130? Hope you don't mind being copied 'cause you have my gears spinning with this one. Say goodbye AR kit-Hello EVIL, MEAN & NASTY magal!

Well , LOUD is the best way to describe it . Shoots great stock is a dream, would be a nice build in a 16" gun which is on the bench next.
    I am undecided on wether or not the bbl will be 8.5" like this one and add a fake can perm attached or if the bbl will be a full 16 but with the gas block in the magal location.

Here is a pic of the stocks as delivered from Balckthorne and a link to their sight. Quick shipping . http://www.blackthorneproducts.com click on the products link and then search magal in the window at the left, you may need to search micro to find the short gas block. Its about $75-$80 and the stock is aprox $100 , there is also one listed for about $40 more which probably has the inserts etc to mate with the gas block . I buy the $100 and just machine a couple of small plate which Ill post a pic of later. The more expensive one may also come with a liner in the handgaurd, I am unsure if the magal even has a liner so I would call before ordering to find out. I sent an email but never heard back . I have some .024 polished stnls sheet I am going to use to build a liner for mine.

I will sit down tonight and add some dimensions to the drawing of my gas block and other related parts along with a few pics that should help anybody wanting to go this route.

Beach Bum:

What flashlight are you using with that thing and how is it secured?

Richard

its one of the small 9 led imports , very bright. The pocket for the flashlight is molded in the stock and 2 diff import lights I have tried fit directly in the socket . There is a cross hole in the stock that is sqaure on one side for a wedge to hold the flash light in place. I ts threaded and fits in a recess between knurled bands in the flash light and keeps it from falling out the front.

UZI Talk Life Member

sorry to bump an old thread but I am very interested in building one of these. Im by no means a gunsmith but Id like to get myself one of these^^. Where do I start? I guessing I need an ORF 16in bbl micro galil?? Can i just buy the stock and thats it or do I need anything else?

The micro will drop in the stock, you need to open up the magwell for the 223 mags to fit. The Magal was originaly built as a 30 carbine

UZI Talk Life Member
    You'll also need to remove the trigger guard and cut the magazine catch stand or us the shorter AK one which means you'll need to remove and replace the four rivits.

Sounds pretty simple. How accurate/reliable would this setup be?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Same as a Galil/Goloni.Pretty cool setup!!

I just got back from my navy deployment and Im ready to get myself something new. I was wondering where to start with trying to build myself a magal. Thanks! Could I start with a golani or something, cut off the trigger guard, and shorter the bbl and have something close? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread