UZI Talk Forums

View Poll Results: You think the Semiauto UZI is a...

Voters
733. You may not vote on this poll
  • Range Toy or Plinker (Not a top choice for SHTF)

251 34.24%
  • Serious Tool I would be comfortable with if SHTF (One of my top choices)

385 52.52%
  • NO OPPINION - Vote here if you don't have an oppinion but want to see results

97 13.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst 1 9 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Semiauto UZI - Serious tool or a Range Toy?

Minute of man???? I have a Bushnell holosight (Generic Eotech) on mine with the rails I make and sell and can consistently make head shots at 100 yards, NO PROBLEM. 200 yard body shots with no missing are norm. Go with a red dot and see how much it improves!

Quote Originally Posted by pdog View Post
    Minute of man???? I have a Bushnell holosight (Generic Eotech) on mine with the rails I make and sell and can consistently make head shots at 100 yards, NO PROBLEM. 200 yard body shots with no missing are norm. Go with a red dot and see how much it improves!

I haven't tried mine over 100 yards as that is longest distance I use. Red dot would be interesting to try.
    Last edited by Slapshot; 04-14-2012 at 03:01 AM.

UZI ALL THE WAY. AMMO IS EVERYWERE, THEY ARE VERY ACCURATE / RELIABLE AND WITH AN SBR UZI IT IS VERY COMPACT (BETTER THAN AN AR). I HAVE A COLT AR AN A AK BUT FOR A SHTF GUN I WOULD GRAB MY UZI ANYDAY OUT OF ALL OF THEM. ALL THE AR IS GOOD FOR A GROUNDHOG GUN AND THATS ABOUT IT, THE 223 / 556 ROUND JUST ISNT IT FOR ME. THE AR HAS TO MANY PARTS TO FAIL. GET A FEW THOUSAND ROUNDS OF 9MM AND AN UZI AND YOUR IN BUSINESS, MY UZI IS ALSO MY NIGHTSTAND GUN.
    Last edited by GUNFUN; 04-16-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNFUN View Post
    UZI ALL THE WAY. AMMO IS EVERYWERE, THEY ARE VERY ACCURATE / RELIABLE AND WITH AN SBR UZI IT IS VERY COMPACT (BETTER THAN AN AR). I HAVE A COLT AR AN A AK BUT FOR A SHTF GUN I WOULD GRAB MY UZI ANYDAY OUT OF ALL OF THEM. ALL THE AR IS GOOD FOR A GROUNDHOG GUN AND THATS ABOUT IT, THE 223 / 556 ROUND JUST ISNT IT FOR ME. THE AR HAS TO MANY PARTS TO FAIL. GET A FEW THOUSAND ROUNDS OF 9MM AND AN UZI AND YOUR IN BUSINESS, MY UZI IS ALSO MY NIGHTSTAND GUN.
    You think 9mm is superior to 5.56?

NOT SAYING THAT, i WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE MY UZI. i HAVE A COLT M4 BUT I DONT LIKE THE 556 ROUND. THE UZI IS VERY ACCURATE AND RELIABLE PLATFORM. AND COMPACT. LIKE I SAID TO MANY PARTS IN THE AR TO GO WRONG. THE UZI AND THE AK ARE THE BEST OPTIONS IN MY EXPERENCED OPINION.

NOT SAYING THAT, i WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE MY UZI. i HAVE A COLT M4 BUT I DONT LIKE THE 556 ROUND. THE UZI IS VERY ACCURATE AND RELIABLE PLATFORM. AND COMPACT. LIKE I SAID TO MANY PARTS IN THE AR TO GO WRONG. THE UZI AND THE AK ARE THE BEST OPTIONS IN MY EXPERENCED OPINION.
    +1 on that. The AR platform let me down a few times in 1967/68 & damn-near got my ass killed more than once. I would never trust my life with one again (even though I still own one for "old-times sake").

Though I stated originally that I would only need an AK in a SHTF situation, I've since run a few thousand rounds through my Uzi (new at the time of the original posting) & gained a lot of respect for it.....

In the "If I could only have one" department I'd still choose an AK, but given a choice, I think that an Uzi & a Glock in matching calibers for Urban situations, and an AK for everything else would work very well. Throw in a reliable .22 LR for food, and a few K rounds of ammo for each (and a set of reloading dies for each caliber), you'd be set for just about anything.....

You think 9mm is superior to 5.56?
    In many situations - yes. While the 5.56 is a decent round out to about 300 meters, a 9mm will keep up with it in just about every PRACTICAL scenario (especially loaded to sub-gun specs), and it's far simpler to "roll your own" if necessary (reload)....

Practical is the key - remember; a man-sized target at 250 meters is smaller than your front sight. Unless you have optics, a precision firearm & match ammo (ie; you're a sniper), you don't need more than a pistol caliber weapon..... just a reliable one.....

Again....Just my humble Opinion.
    Last edited by ddmau; 04-17-2012 at 09:36 PM.

I AGREE 100%

UZI Talk Supporter
    I AGREE 100%
    Why caps all the time?
    Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

Easier to read for the older folks.

Apparently, Gabe Suarez has taken an interest in the semi-auto pistol-caliber carbine lately. Quite a few articles from Suarez International touting the potential benefits of an "SMG" as a civilian defensive weapon, and the SBR'd UZI has been the primary focus.

Mind you, I don't know much about Suarez. I've gotten three e-mails in the last month regarding this issue, and I thought this was a great spot to toss the info.

Links, if anyone is interested:

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2012/...g-the-uzi.html

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2012/...ve-reload.html

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...55#post1344255 (last link requires a WarriorTalk account, IIRC)

good artical i love my sbr UZI

Simply put, it is a firearm capable of killing a human. Would it be my first choice as a defensive weapon? No. Would it suffice if something more powerful were not at my disposal? Yes.

Well there will never be a SHTF unless it is a meteor strike .

Then it would be two . One being a 1911 pistol and the other would be a old
    bolt action rifle I have used for years .

Any 9mm long gun for me!

And, the UZI is a proven system.

FOR SURE A PROVEN SYSTEM.

9mm all the way. i have shot trapped wild hogs with 9mm ball entering the skull and exiting through the bottom throat. also easy to quiten down just like a .22.

I have an UZI vector semi rifle in 9mm and have been out shooting both of my brothers AR 15 when target shooting. Not only accuracy but speed. No not as powerful but surly not something I'd like to be on the other end of.

Carbine SA although not the ultimate, sure seems to be a damn good choice, Tack driver accuracy at short range. Very quick pointing. Tons of rounds. Reliable. Can run "+p+" at 124 or 147g. Sidearm can run the same ammo with high cap mags. Hell, just with two weapons loaded up, your talking about about 50 hot rounds at your disposal.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Hey, I haven't been here in a while.

Anyway, I believe all sub guns, semi or FA, 16"bbls and under, are all not currently suitable for SHTF. Granted your 9mm's and 45's can kill you beyond 100 meters, but they don't have the accuracy and barrier/armor penetration can be lacking. Your enemy is probably "poor" like you and isn't able to get the latest equipment. He might make improvised body armor it may stop certain pistol ammo from certain ranges. Maybe down to 100 meters or maybe even 50 meters.

Good luck trying to stop a rifle bullet. If you're going to remain on the defensive for quite some time, I would rather use a compact assault rifle. The easiest way to get one is getting an AR15 lower and putting on a short barreled upper(I'm talking about right before or during SHTF where laws no longer apply). Something like an AKSU74 would also be favorable. These firearms fire a cartridge that's just about acceptable for bbl lengths of 8" to 12". Coupled with a good flash hider/muzzle break, you now have a weapon that is capable in CQB and does better than SMGs in the outdoors.
    huuummmm? Do you shoot a lot? Try shooting a AR (5.56) through a brick or small tree for that matter and let me know how it works for you. Stopping a small round from a AR is not that hard? Too many GI's found this out the hard way back in the 60's when up against the 120+ grain 7.62 round. As for CQB you will be deaf and easy prey during SHTF UZI +1 here!

Banned
    I view the semi-auto UZI with a 10 inch barrel as a platform for a suppressor, a way to achieve suppressed fire at distances exceeding pistol ranges.

A 10 inch barrel SBR UZI with a suppressor and sub-sonic ammunition will be a reasonably quiet weapon and a stable shooting platform for 100-200 meters.

What semi-auto pistols (with normal/typical barrel length of 4-5 inches) out there would you be comfortable trying to shoot at 100-200 meters?

The UZI is a reasonably stable firing platform, offering adequate/acceptable accuracy, in a compact and maneuverable package, with firepower superior to the basic pistol as the UZI standard magazines are 25 or 32 rounds.

For use in/around a vehicle the UZI is an excellent choice.

Another poster wrote-
    Your enemy is probably "poor" like you and isn't able to get the latest equipment. He might make improvised body armor it may stop certain pistol ammo from certain ranges. Maybe down to 100 meters or maybe even 50 meters.

Well body armor is not particularly expensive, you can go to a gun show and find Interceptor OTV for $200-300 with the soft level IIIA inserts, Improved Interceptor OTV with the soft level III-A inserts for $400-$500, and then add in the level III or level IV plates for about $200 to $600 per plate (depends which plates you want to get, some claim to be able to take 60-65 hits of 5.56mm NATO before they are compromised, these ones tend to run about $600 to $800, but the basic NIJ certified to stop 1 round of 30'06 AP –level IV- or 6 rounds of 7.62mm NATO –level III- can be had for as little as $200 if you buy them on sale or get them at a gun show/auction)

Even still, somebody wearing basic soft body armor, absent the rifle plates, is at least going to feel some pain and probably will go for cover if he starts taking hits to his body, even though his body is armored, because most people prefer not to receive gunfire. Of course you might run across some guys like those North Hollywood robbers who seemingly don’t care about how many hits their armor takes, but that’s not a normal human response to receiving gunfire.

+ Reply to Thread