UZI Talk Forums

View Poll Results: You think the Semiauto UZI is a...

Voters
886. You may not vote on this poll
  • Range Toy or Plinker (Not a top choice for SHTF)

306 34.54%
  • Serious Tool I would be comfortable with if SHTF (One of my top choices)

460 51.92%
  • NO OPPINION - Vote here if you don't have an oppinion but want to see results

120 13.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst 1 7 17 23 LastLast

Thread: Semiauto UZI - Serious tool or a Range Toy?

If I'm going to war I will take a rifle.

If I'm not expecting any trouble I will take my pistol.

In times of possible trouble, if I'm answering the front door, nothing more powerful balances in one hand better than an UZI. It's more fight capable than a pistol and handier and not deafening without earplugs like a rifle. It will be there with me when my rifle is not the obvious best choice.

The same goes for the enclosed space of a car. A driver can fire it one-handed pointed out the window (with the brass gently bouncing off the steering wheel) and a passenger can fire it accurately (and hopefully) without causing deafness or causing the driver to loose control of the vehicle. It might be perfect for stopping carjackers or attacks coming from other vehicles. Perhaps that's why the Secret Service uses it while guarding the President.

The UZI carbine is a step up from the pistol and a step down from the rifle, and it fulfills it's unique role better than either of those weapon types if they are pressed into its niche. It may be a small niche, but it's an important one.

Lastly, if armor piercing 9mm were available it would make some PDW's look like airsoft and most kevlar look like butter.

I just read a post on another site and someone stated that he thought that his 9mm Glock was a better tool than the Uzi he sold. I disagree with that statement, and think that people like him have seen too many movies where a pistol can stop just about anything and never runs out of ammunition. I personally feel that in most situations, a semi-auto Uzi will handle most of your problems. If it can't, you are somewhere you really shouldn't be!

Where I live, (in the city back home) There wouldnt be much long distance shooting in a SHTF scenario, and I could carry a lot more 9mm ammo than rifle ammo. Not to mention just displaying an uzi could deter an attack. But then again, if shit did hit the fan would there really be any 16" barreled semi-auto uzi's? All in all I say choose the right tool for the job, and the uzi definately fills a niche as a range toy and a tool, a 'gerber of firearms' if you will.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I own f/a IMI standard size / mini Uzis and other high power f/a & s/a rifles. Personally I believe s/a works well for self defense because the average shooter can achieve 380rpm. 170rpm more for f/a standard size is not a deal breaker for me. As for the f/a mini may be helpful with a overrunning large mob, but hell 380rpm will be a factor.

Pistol cals carbines work well within 200yds. I'll set a 6" steel swinger at 220yds and bust it all day and night. Also a huge plus is suppressors performance in pistol cals compared to rifle.

The most dangerous weapon is behind your eyes and between your ears. The use of any firearm with proper tactical techniques will be the deciding factor. A fool with any gun becomes a dead fool without and A tactical skilled person adds to there collection of survival tools.

A predator will stalk their pray without notice for days if necessary. How many or length of fangs is irrelevant for SHTF.
    If you’re not willing to take a stand for the security of our liberty, you’re worthless beyond one vote...
    -BWsmg

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free”

If you want to take the Zombies out with one shot and not spray and pray, better use a S&W 500 magnum. Doesn't make any difference if they are wearing body armour or not the result will be the same, POOC (permantly out of commission). The fire coming out of the barrel will set their close on fire to finish the job.

Mine is FA and have a Gemtech can for it. That and my Glocks would suit me well. They are serious enough for me!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill
    While not a toy. There is too much body armor out there for a 9mm to be my primary. I want at least to knock’em down then one or two to the head.
    New technologies of body armor have changed the theories of rifle cals vs. pistol ammo. For Example Dragon Body Armor. http://www.easiarmor.com/index.php?m...products_id=47

Accuracy of projectile placement is key as you have posted. Most of the high-end training schools (Viking Tactics and etc) will teach shot placement to avoid body armor situations! Targeted areas: upper sternum, neck, face, and pelvis.

The U.S. Military elite tactical training programs deals with the issue of foreign militaries incorporating high tech body armor. It’s not uncommon for drug dealers and terrorist around the world including the U.S. to use them as well.
    If you’re not willing to take a stand for the security of our liberty, you’re worthless beyond one vote...
    -BWsmg

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free”

Quote Originally Posted by bwsmg
    New technologies of body armor have changed the theories of rifle cals vs. pistol ammo. For Example Dragon Body Armor. http://www.easiarmor.com/index.php?m...products_id=47

Accuracy of projectile placement is key as you have posted. Most of the high-end training schools (Viking Tactics and etc) will teach shot placement to avoid body armor situations! Targeted areas: upper sternum, neck, face, and pelvis.

The U.S. Military elite tactical training programs deals with the issue of foreign militaries incorporating high tech body armor. It’s not uncommon for drug dealers and terrorist around the world including the U.S. to use them as well.
    New technologies in ammo as well. There's a Belgian firearms and ammunition manufacturer whose vids I've seen online who makes ammo in conventional calibers that he claims is as effective, if not more so, than the new 5.7 and 4.6 calibers, and it doesn't require new kinds of weapons or conversions to existing firearms if I remember correctly. The stuff certainly isn't legal in most places and may not be kosher for military use, but the technology exists.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Very true,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjcVG...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6z7D...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhm-1...eature=related
    R. Lee Ermey asked if the vest could stop armor piercing ammo. The owner replied, “Yes pistol and rifle”. Can it defend against the VBR Belgium ammo, personally I don’t know, but a great post question! Either way both the Dragon body armor and the VBR ammo deletes the idea of the rifle having more advantage over 16.5” barreled Uzi based on these two subjects only.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNY1MtsVwG8

VBR Belgian ammo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2H-DUrey6w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyKMz3tYx-M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3K1VgJpiNE
    -BWsmg

This debate om armor is similar to what happened to the armored knights of the medieval era, they reigned supreme until technology caught up with them, then it was a sudden decline for a couple of hundred years until armor technology caught back up with weapons technology.

This debate on armor is similar to what happened to the armored knights of the medieval era, they reigned supreme until technology caught up with them, then it was a sudden decline for a couple of hundred years until armor technology caught back up with weapons technology.

say it one more time!

I only have plates in my rack, and they say they can stop 7.62x51....but I think thats a little wishful. Theres also no padding, so if it does stop it I think my sternum/ribs/internal organs would be broken up pretty good. On the other hand, it does make you feel more protected

I tested a Mac 10 on an interceptor groin protector at 10 feet.
    That would hurt.

BUT Let's be real
    All this bullshit was originally made with 'fragmentation' in mind .

My Uzi has one target and it's called 'Mouth'

But seriously! How many of us will ever face one or more people wearing the latest super-duper body armor?

Quote Originally Posted by wonderdog451
    But seriously! How many of us will ever face one or more people wearing the latest super-duper body armor?
    exactly in a SHTF situation I am not going to be tangling with MIL/LEO in the first place, I am only concerned with the jackalope in a wife beater. Even If I am going up against someone in body armor its not as though 9x19 just bounces off them, nor are they armored everywhere. A 9mm to the face the femoral artery and they are just as dead as anyone else.

Besides imho an uzi just like any other PDW is designed to allow me to more effectively E&E from a dangerous situation. If I am going to assault something then I will bring a rifle. PDWs are meant to give someone enough firepower while not interfering with their daily tasks and its meant for support personnel who are not usually in the thick of things.

So yes in the role of PDW the semi-uzi is a fine weapon. If you try to pigeon hole it in a role it was never meant for then obviously its going to be a bad choice.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I don't think this soldier was shot with a 9mm...?

7.62X39mm or 7.62X54R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV0pN-LaW6E

Can you image what went through the enemy's mind when they saw that troop jump up and try to engage them...WOW
    -BWsmg

I think the best SHTF gun would be an AK chambered in 5.56 nato, like the arsenal slr-106. They're plenty accurate and reliable. AR's are nice but simple is good and i'd rather not have to worry about cleaning my gun.

SHTF

There are many different types of SHTF scenarios. If you feel that your life is in danger then my IMI Model a UZI is plenty deadly!!
    For instance:
    I can carry it in a brief case, assemble the barrel, and can reach out to 200 yds for the take down!!!! 275 ft.lbs of force is plenty enough!!
    If someone wanted to do me in....Not a good idea to broadcast it!!!

I have used 9mm to drop many wild hogs. Noticed fmj 9mm penetrate all way from top of skull out bottom of mouth with close range caged boar. If it will do this on a 300lb armor plated boar head. Should be more than whats needed to take down humans. Uzi is excellent platform with either the 10" or 16" barrel. Unlike most black rifles out there the imi model a or b will work! Rain, snow,mud or sand. This is not something I read but experience. I beat the hell out of my model b and have yet to brake anything or experience feed problems. Most of todays guns even the piston types need maintainence. A real uzi does not. Or at least mine hasnt.

If you look at LOTS of the materials archived on this site alone that should answer this question imo. Or just go to IDF store (zalat?) these days and check out the vids for various Uzi accessories and you'll see LOTS of training where S/A fire is used. Why? Because it's accurate and it works. And that's with open bolts. So...the answer is both.

Will it do the job an AK can do out to 300 meters? No. Will it be as accurate as an AR out to 400 meters? No. Would it be THE one weapon to have if you could only have one? No. Will it get your butt out of a jam in a city, or congested (read: gridlocked) evacuation? Yes. Is it, even in S/A format a viable CQB weapon? Yes. In short, for me, it fills a niche as a weapon system, but is also a fun way to shoot longarms indoors.

And other than SBR variants of the above listed systems, what is more concealable than the Uzi and can still deliver relatively accurate fire out to 100 meters, has readily available and relatively inexpensive ammo requirements, and also has a looooong history of proven reliability? Not much imo. It's why I bought it.

Rant over. Party On Garth.

+ Reply to Thread