UZI Talk Forums
Closed Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Travelling with NFA Firearms (Form 5320.20)

  1. #1
    Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Jmacken37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    SE MI

    Travelling with NFA Firearms (Form 5320.20)

    So you want to take your machine gun on a trip...

    Turns out you can't just schlep them around interstate. Intrastate is no problem, but ATF needs to approve your machine gun moving across state borders. In most cases, you need to fill out a Form 5320.20 and fax or send it to the ATF for approval.

    I've found this website helpful for preparing forms:

    (I have no affiliation, but consider a donation if you find the site helpful)

    Fax number is:


    Address is:

    244 Needy Road
    Martinsburg, WV 25405

    Phone: 304 616-4500

    Interestingly, you do not need to submit this form to transport suppressors or AOW's. Also, if you have a C&R FFL and are transporting a C&R gun, you do not need to submit this form, either. Machine guns, short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, and destructive devices all require Form 5320.20 to transport across state lines. Of course normal NFA owners can't transport an NFA item to a state where they are illegal.

    I'm sure others will have additional information to add.


    Information from ATF's NFA Branch Website:

    Individuals other than qualified Federal firearms licensees must obtain permission from ATF prior to temporarily or permanently moving a machine-gun, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or destructive device interstate. To obtain permission to move these firearms, please submit to ATF either a letter requesting permission to move them or an ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. This form is available at the ATF Internet website or may be obtained by contacting the NFA Branch. If you are submitting the request by letter, please include the:

    • Name of registrant;
    • The firearm(s);
    • The current location of the firearm(s);
    • The location to which the firearm(s) will be transported;
    • The date(s) and means of transportation (car, plane, boat, etc.); and
    • The reason the firearm is being moved.

    Please also indicate in the letter whether: (1) the move is temporary or permanent; (2) the move will involve a transfer of the title; and (3) whether the possession of the firearm will violate local or State law at the destination. The ATF Form 5320.20 includes these requirements. Requests for interstate transportation will be denied by ATF if possession of the firearm at the destination will violate State or local law.

    Registrants do not have to obtain permission from ATF to move a silencer or “any other weapon” interstate. However, if a registrant’s address for these types of firearms changes after registration with ATF, please notify the NFA Branch in writing of the new address, so the NFRTR can reflect the registrant’s correct address.

    LINK to above
    Last edited by Jmacken37; 07-23-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.