UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firing out of battery

Firing out of battery

Could a full auto M10 fire out of battery if a round was oversize and didn't chamber all the way, or would it just jam the gun?
    I check all my reloads with a case gauge and I've never had it happen but I was thinking about it today.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Yep. I think I'm lucky, only had it happen once on an M11/nine. It was a reload (not mine). Spooky, but nothing damaged and no one hurt.

Open bolt subguns can/will.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Always a risk with a fixed firing pin.
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

This is a good reason to always wear safety glasses and check reloads with a gauge.
    I'm pretty sure Mac's have a pretty generous chamber but its always best to make sure your ammo is in spec.

Highrise ATX I'm surprised there was no damage. Is that normal?

Along similar lines, is it normal for these guns to produce brass that's bulged all the way around? Kinda like a Glock bulge, but around the entire case. It's enough that when you try to resize it pushes a ridge of brass down. Those cases are obviously toast. Should all brass be considered one and done in an M11/9? Ok to pick out the bulged brass and the rest goes back in service?

Some shrapnel from a recent OOB.

Name:  OOB2.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  129.7 KB

UZI Talk Life Member

Overly long ammo would OOB in several of my otherwise flawless uppers. The IMI 158s were the worst offenders. I was fortunate, the bullets cleared the barrel, although they also chewed up the end cap on a bowers can. I don’t shoot the 158s with those uppers anymore.

UZI Talk Life Member

UZI Talk Life Member
    I've had a few OBD over the years with factory ammo. Never hurt the M11/9 or the Max uppers. Then I started reloading and had a 1/2 dozen or more. It was always a defect in the cases. The 9mm cases with the step were always the reason. Avoid stepped cases in OB SMGs. The stepped cases have the head stamps are MAXXtech, Ammoload, IMT and FM

Quote Originally Posted by llamasabound View Post
    Overly long ammo would OOB in several of my otherwise flawless uppers. The IMI 158s were the worst offenders. I was fortunate, the bullets cleared the barrel, although they also chewed up the end cap on a bowers can. I don’t shoot the 158s with those uppers anymore.
    If you please, what uppers are "those uppers?"

UZI Talk Life Member

The MAXXtech brand sells reloaded and brand new ammo. I bought 1,000 rounds of new ammo to use in my TASK conversion M10 with an Uzi magwell. I had an OOB during the first stage of the monthly subgun match. I cleared the gun and I was restarted. The gun wouldn't run. The case had separated on the round before the OOB. It had left a ring of brass in the chamber. I didn't have any tools to get it out. My friend was shooting his full size Uzi and said that I could use it. I had the same thing happen to his Uzi barrel but no OOB. He had to borrow another guy's spare barrel. I had to unload my mags and use different ammo. The stuff shot fine in my MP5K.

Scott

Thankfully, it seems like the receiver is not damaged when this happens.

I decided to see if I could bump fire my semiauto Masterpiece Arms Defender (which is easily the most accurate subgun type pistol that I own). It bump fired great, but when I picked up the spent cases I found these three.

Needless to say, I no longer bump fire it.

UZI Talk Supporter
    As yet, I haven’t had an OB with the M11/9, Max-11 I had, or current Max-31. I have had one with the .22 kit in a side cocking upper, with no damage.

Wow those 3 spent casings look crazy, good no damage or injuries.

I was fortunate. I've bump fired plenty of guns, but never had something like that happen.

That's some messed up brass.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I decided to see if I could bump fire my semiauto Masterpiece Arms Defender (which is easily the most accurate subgun type pistol that I own). It bump fired great, but when I picked up the spent cases I found these three.

Needless to say, I no longer bump fire it.

I just tossed 7 of those belted 9mm magnums out
    They were in a batch of 2500 empties i had shot over the spring and summer

All came from my lage 10/31 all were reloads.
    Other then those 7 I tossed all my other brass has been fine.

There might be more in other boxes of empties i'll find out as i run them through the dillion.

Gun never missed a beat and runs like a prom queen with here dress tore off.

When the 45 acp OEM upper eats a OOB it splits the case lenght wise. But like the 9mm its less then 1 % and doesn't miss a beat eather.

+ Reply to Thread