UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MAX-11/15a1 swap to 7.62×39? Safe with IRM?

MAX-11/15a1 swap to 7.62×39? Safe with IRM?

Is it safe, and if so, what's needed to convert the 11/15a1 from 5.56 to 7.62×39?

I have the bolt, barrel, ASC mags, etc lying around in my parts bin.

Will the baby mac hold-up to 7.62×39?

Thanks

UZI Talk Supporter
    Only one way to find out!
    Check out my Youtube channel

UZI Talk Life Member

To me, the biggest concern is what you are using for a barrel and a gas block. There is more energy in 7.62x39 than 5.56X45. But that energy is spread out over time by the mechanism. The bolt group only wants to have enough energy to cycle. The shorter the barrel and gas system the finer the gas system needs to be tuned to run without too much or too little energy to function the bolt group. Also firing from the hip would be much harder on the back of the receiver than having a sturdy stock that is well supported by the shooter's shoulder. I would think that the gun in 7.62x39 would run well as long as these concerns were addressed. Good luck with the project.

Scott

I want to use a 16" barrel. I should have an adjustable block somewhere in my parts bin.

I really don't want to mess the receiver up, however.

As for hip-shots, I can rattle those off with an MAK-90 and a belt loop. I want to aim my lead at today's ammo prices.

In an AR I don't change a thing in the lower when going to 7.62 Russian. Tune the gas right and I'd expect it to run fine.

IMHO the Fat MAC M10 is made of thicker sheetmetal and is more durable. Please keep us posted if you do this cool project! ... I wonder if Richard ever experimented with 7.62x39 on the MACs? Would buy one if he made one, I'm sure many folks would too! Wish you total success!

UZI Talk Life Member

I'm not starting a poll or anything, but how many people would buy a Lage M11/47 if Richard offered it? Given the headache it was to get approval on the M10/15 i don't know if Richard would even entertain the idea of submitting another design for approval, but I would buy one. I realize I can convert my M11/15 to 7.62x39 but I would rather use AK mags than AR mags.

Quote Originally Posted by nklf View Post
    I'm not starting a poll or anything, but how many people would buy a Lage M11/47 if Richard offered it? Given the headache it was to get approval on the M10/15 i don't know if Richard would even entertain the idea of submitting another design for approval, but I would buy one. I realize I can convert my M11/15 to 7.62x39 but I would rather use AK mags than AR mags.
    Im in for at least 1

Yes! Real AK mags or forgetaboutit. It's a pipe dream at best... but hay ya never know...

I think redneckengineers ultimac? Shot 7.62x39 and took ak mags. I wonder what he’s up to. Cool upper and was able to change magwells for different magazines

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galil#1 View Post
    Yes! Real AK mags or forgetaboutit. It's a pipe dream at best... but hay ya never know...
    A complete and total PIPE DREAM, I tells ya! Brb, going over to O.F.A.S.T.S this morning to shoot my “mAK-47 ultimac” ��

https://ibb.co/WFBjB87

Quote Originally Posted by challenger70rt View Post
    A complete and total PIPE DREAM, I tells ya! Brb, going over to O.F.A.S.T.S this morning to shoot my “mAK-47 ultimac” ��

https://ibb.co/WFBjB87
    Yes and a cock tease if I can't buy/own it myself!
    Enjoy!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nklf View Post
    I've got a M11/15 and a M11A1/15. My number came up for the M10/15 and I asked to be put to the back of the line. I'll eventually get one, but I already have two other options to do what it does so it's not a priority. If it was in 7.62x39 and took AK mags I would have gotten it now. Honestly I don't think taking AK mags would be a requirement. But I'm not very interested in buying a 10/15, taking it apart and voiding the warranty, and experimenting to find a combination that works.

Can’t help you with the “voiding the warranty” part, but the 10/15 or 11/15’s should run x39 just fine w a bolt/barrel swap and the AR type x39 mags. I ran those AR type mags for awhile in the ultimac before I had one of the AK mag adapters and they worked just fine. The 10/15 uses a proprietary carrier, but the actual bolts are just factory AR/m16 so just swapping the bolt head should get you there. Lage has mentioned in the past that he’s tested the uppers in x39. Personally, I can’t see worrying about the warranty so much. If you run the guns a decent amount, you’ll eventually burn out the barrel and need to replace anyway, though I will say those are pretty decent barrels he uses and with care I’d think you should get 20k rounds out of one, unless you’re doing barn burner 1000 rd mag dumps. Like this HK barrel from last night, =D.

https://ibb.co/s9LyySC

Probably too long ago for most of you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecondAmend View Post
    I don't get it. What does Dustin Hoffman's character in a movie having a bad tooth have to do with a 7.62x39 Lage upper?

Scott
    Last edited by A&S Conversions; 06-27-2022 at 06:32 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondAmend View Post
    Classic.
    Machine guns are like food. They're better with good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaine777 View Post
    I've got a M11/15 and a M11A1/15. My number came up for the M10/15 and I asked to be put to the back of the line. I'll eventually get one, but I already have two other options to do what it does so it's not a priority. If it was in 7.62x39 and took AK mags I would have gotten it now. Honestly I don't think taking AK mags would be a requirement. But I'm not very interested in buying a 10/15, taking it apart and voiding the warranty, and experimenting to find a combination that works.
    Since you have both the M11/15 and the M11a1/15 which would you recommend if someone (like me) has both an M11/9 and M11a1, but con only get the 556 upper for one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by challenger70rt View Post
    Can’t help you with the “voiding the warranty” part, but the 10/15 or 11/15’s should run x39 just fine w a bolt/barrel swap and the AR type x39 mags. I ran those AR type mags for awhile in the ultimac before I had one of the AK mag adapters and they worked just fine. The 10/15 uses a proprietary carrier, but the actual bolts are just factory AR/m16 so just swapping the bolt head should get you there. Lage has mentioned in the past that he’s tested the uppers in x39. Personally, I can’t see worrying about the warranty so much. If you run the guns a decent amount, you’ll eventually burn out the barrel and need to replace anyway, though I will say those are pretty decent barrels he uses and with care I’d think you should get 20k rounds out of one, unless you’re doing barn burner 1000 rd mag dumps. Like this HK barrel from last night, =D.

https://ibb.co/s9LyySC
    Ouch. Looks like my headers after track day.

+ Reply to Thread