UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegas, those pics I promised

UZI Talk Supporter

Vegas, those pics I promised

Concerning the topic title: Don't any of you dirty bastards get the wrong idea here.

German MG 15, mfg'd in 1940 by Krieghoff. Captured 1944 in Fountain Bleau, France. I got it directly from the guy who captured, and registered it. Beautiful gun, but damn it runs fast! For those that did'nt follow the NFA Timeline thread, I had it REWATTed by Bob Naess 3-4 years ago. He did an absolutely splendid job, can't tell it had ever had anything done to it.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. -Sir William Pitt, The Younger 1783

Lucky bastard!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Weren't those used for air to air defensive weapons? Looks like the ones seen in the movie "The Battle of Britain" without the shoulder stock. In the movie the rof seemed extremely fast.
    Opera Non Verbra

UZI Talk Life Member
    P.S. Sweet looking setup!
    Opera Non Verbra

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0331
    Weren't those used for air to air defensive weapons? Looks like the ones seen in the movie "The Battle of Britain" without the shoulder stock. In the movie the rof seemed extremely fast.

Yes, that is correct, in fact when that particular gun was captured it still had the flexible ball mount on it, but the GI pitched it due to the weight. Later during the war most of them were removed from bombers in favor of the larger caliber guns, plane armor had advanced to the point that it was taking well over a hundred hits from 8mm to do any significant damage. Once removed they were fitted with the ground conversion, and issued to Luftwaffe Field Units. ROF is high, around 1,200-1,300rpm. I sure am glad I did'nt have to hump one of those damn things around Europe, especially loaded drums!
    FYI, they were found mostly on Heinkel 111s, Focke Wulf(sp?)189s, Do 17s, Do 215s, Heinkel 115 Seaplane, Heinkel 177s, and Junker 87s and 88s.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. -Sir William Pitt, The Younger 1783

UZI Talk Life Member
    Great piece of history! Thanks!
    Opera Non Verbra

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thanks for the pics and history. Very, very cool!

Dan

UZI Talk Supporter
    [QUOTE=CIB]
    German MG 15, mfg'd in 1940 by Krieghoff. Captured 1944 in Fountain Bleau, France. I got it directly from the guy who captured, and registered it. Beautiful gun, but damn it runs fast! For those that did'nt follow the NFA Timeline thread, I had it REWATTed by Bob Naess 3-4 years ago. He did an absolutely splendid job, can't tell it had ever had anything done to it.
    QUOTE]

CIB,

Very cool, could you explain the REWATT to me. I would assume since it was registered it could have just been transfered to you.

Thanks,

Dave
    Sometimes a law is enacted to protect our freedom and most of the time laws are enacted to serve the agenda of some special interest group seeking power which often restricts our freedom and, upon this occasion, it prevented the truly gallant from getting their well deserved due.

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2008.png

UZI Talk Supporter
    Dave, when the vet registered it he could'nt afford the $200, so it was Deactivated (DEWAT), what they did was remove the barrel, stuck an old arc welder in there, and welded the carrier togather, along with enough slag that you could'nt get a barrel in it. When I bought it, it transferred to me tax free on a F5, since it was'nt a working gun. Then I filed a F1 to re-activate the gun and paid the $200. If I had known then what I know now, I would have transferred it on a tax paid F4 in the first place, and saved myself a wait.

UZI Talk Life Member

Very nice!! Thanks for sharing.
    Proudly living in the heart of the infamous "UZI Triangle."

UZI Talk Life Member
    Thanks so much for dragging that beast out of the safe.. I know it's a pain in the ass and I appreciate it! As one would expect, absolutely beautiful work by Bubba!

I've got a "thing" for German beltfeds and that's a very nice piece and seldom seen. Those who haven't experienced an 8mm gun running those kind of RPM would be very impressed to see and hear it run!

I hate to sound stupid, but is the ground mount a modified MG34 or 42 bipod?

I'm sure you're stocking up on 8mm these days... Thanks again!

UZI Talk Supporter
    TY for sharing the great pics and history

Sweet.

THAT is SOOOOOOOOOO cool!!!

Tony

UZI Talk Supporter
    Vegas, the ground conversion consists of the butt stock which is very reminiscent of the buttstock used on the earlier MG 13, sites, a cast aluminum shroud for the ventilated barrel shroud, and a unmodified MG 34 bipod. The grooves in the aluminum shroud will work with anything that'll fit the 34.
    Oh, there is (supposed to be anyway) a spent case deflector for the ground conversion as well. If anyone ever sees a factory one, I would sure like a heads up on it!!! However, I'm not sure they even exist.
    I have a ton of Romy 8mm stacked up, I'm gonna have to build a ammo storage magazine if I get anymore ammo!
    You guys are very welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics, and the little bit of info I provided. If there is anything else you wanna know about it, just ask.

UZI Talk Supporter
    So much gun in really a small (skinny) package - no bulky square receiver etc... Very, very cool!

Thanks for sharing.
    "He who controls the spice controls the universe."

UZI Talk Life Member
    I'd dearly love to see detailed photos of every inch of that gun the next time you haul it out of the safe. It's just so interesting! What kind of links does it use?

Here's one for sale if anyone's interested... http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/i...uery=retrieval
    Last edited by Vegas SMG; 01-21-2008 at 12:15 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Awesome piece!!!Love those belt-feds!!!

FFL/SOT
    Distinction Arms
    UZI Talk Life Member

I love seeing pictures of rarer personally owned stuff! GREAT LOOKING GUN!

Mike

UZI Talk Supporter
    Ah Ha! Got ya! No links, no belts, 75rd DT-15 drum mags. Sometimes you will see MG-34's with a special top cover that will allow them to use the drums. However the DT-15s were designed for the MG-15, not the MG-34.

If you will notice Jim's gun is painted black, which is the way most of the MG-15s came from the factory. I've only seen one other one that was blued. I think Kent Lomont has one for sale too, if you want to shop around. If any of you are looking to buy one, make sure it comes with a drum loader, you'll not load them by hand, and if you buy seperate you'll probably drop close to a grand on one.

+ Reply to Thread