UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CCI Blazer 9MM

CCI Blazer 9MM

Is CCI Blazer 9mm any good ? I just ordered a 1000 rds to shoot out of my uzi and mac. The price was good. $7.49 per box. Total with shipping was $168.00. I know it's not reloadable or match ammo but the price seemed good. Any thoughts on this stuff.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    I find it excellent but could not get it to run in my M11/9. Have not tried it with the Lage yet. Otherwise it works find in everything else - Glock, Sig, MP5, Uzi, etc.
    NFA Firearms: In A World Of Compromise, Some Don't.

UZI Talk Supporter

Thumbs down If your talking about the aluminum case

I used it in my SA Model A and Had something happen that has never happened before or since to my Uzi. IT JAMMED!

The case had separated on extraction . IT RIPPED THE HEAD RIGHT OFF and left an aluminum sleeve in the chamber. The next round jammed!

I won't use it!

Quote Originally Posted by jaker10
    Is CCI Blazer 9mm any good ? I just ordered a 1000 rds to shoot out of my uzi and mac. The price was good. $7.49 per box. Total with shipping was $168.00. I know it's not reloadable or match ammo but the price seemed good. Any thoughts on this stuff.
    Brass cased, or aluminum case ? There is 2 types of CCI Blazer ...

Aluminum

UZI Talk Supporter
    I'm going to beat VegasSMG to the punch here and post the link:

http://www.afte.org/announcements/CC...oltwarning.htm
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i ran 500ish in a few minutes when I had an MK760.

It just upped the ROF to about 1100

Shit works in Everything but the uzi, it smashes upon chambering.
    BUT the aluminum HP shit feeds perfect.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I picked up 2K Blazer Brass 9mm FMJ's back in Oct and it runs fine in everything I've ran it through, even my Uzi's. It's what I used to clock the ROF of the FA Glock at 1200, It's OK. IMO
    You earned the title "Marine" upon graduation from recruit training. It wasn't willed to you; it isn't a gift. It is not a government subsidy. Few can claim the title; no one may take it away. It is yours forever

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    Quote Originally Posted by emerz
    I'm going to beat VegasSMG to the punch here and post the link:

http://www.afte.org/announcements/CC...oltwarning.htm
    I should have called "In Before Someone Posts Same Old Junk Science"

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I should have called "In Before Someone Posts Same Old Junk Science"
    Here's my latest post on the subject. If you take a moment to discover for yourself just who the "junk scientists" and the organization really is, you may be impressed by this organization. NOW, I'm not the least bit impressed by a single department's apparent lack of an unbiased, unscientific study of the phenomenon they observed. The OOB was immediately blamed on the ammo rather than any other possible source. It looks like very sloppy work on their determination IMHO. Still, it happened and it's documented. I have no other documented evidence either way of Blazer's suitable use in an open bolt subgun. Do you? BTW, I love the Blazer brass case .45acp ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG
    Several members have reported NO problems shooting 9mm aluminum blazer in their subguns. It's the .45acp that's called into question. What's not known and not noted in the lab report is the condition of the MAC it was fired in. Was the chamber clean and free of burs? Was the problem initiated by one squib round? Were the magazine feed lips in good condition allowing the rounds to be presented at the correct angle? It's possible the problem was gun related but we'll never know.

It's also possible that the aluminum cased ammo was galling in the magazines or chamber rather than sliding like smooth brass and this caused an OOB experience. That's my guess and it makes sense and I wouldn't chance using it in an expensive transferable. I find it disappointing that the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners didn't rule out and document at least some of the other possible causes prior to condemning the ammo. I recall several years ago that CCI Blazer issued a warning against using their own aluminum cased ammo in open bolt guns based on this very warning. I don't know if their warning still exists.

The above is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Please visit my FB page for the latest CF-W bolt information.
    https://www.facebook.com/VegasSMG/?ref

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    It appears you agree with me.

The bullet stuck in the barrel pretty much contaminates any conclusion as to Aluminum based cartridges being the cause of the blown cases. It seems NORMAL to me, if you have a bullet stuck in the barrel, blow cases, excessive bolt blow-back, and even a ruptured barrel are all within the realm of possibility, and have been observed in the past. Thus, to blame the blown cases on an Aluminum based cartridge, without first verifiying that brass ammunition would not behave the same way with a bullet stuck in the barrel (do not try this at home), seems naive and careless.

UZI Talk Life Member
    It appears you agree with me.
    Mostly. The "investigation" and consequent "report" was based on one police agency's unfortunate experience and detailed documentation, information, and further investigation is lacking. It may have been a single bad lot of this ammo, or a single bad round. Either can happen with any ammo manufacturer. I'm still not convinced it wasn't the gun or magazine at fault.

I'd say the general shooting public has shot many hundreds of thousands of rounds of aluminum cased ammo in subguns with out ill effect. Many people bag on WWB and I've personally shot tens of thousands of rounds WITH NO PROBLEMS. So many people shoot so much of this ammo, that there's bound to be problems that will show up given the amount used. Same applies with any ammo. Shoot it enough and you'll have an issue one day.

Guess what I just did? I emailed Blazer asking their opinion about shooting their aluminum case ammo in subguns. I'd say that's the final authority. I'll post their answer.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo

I'd say the general shooting public has shot many hundreds of thousands of rounds of aluminum cased ammo in subguns with out ill effect.
    Probably tens of millions, if not hundreds, since I myself am good for at least 100 thousand alone.

Guess what I just did? I emailed Blazer asking their opinion about shooting their aluminum case ammo in subguns. I'd say that's the final authority. I'll post their answer.
    Without evidence to support it, it is just another opinion.

I do not shoot as much AL as I used too. The AL Blazer is not the bargain it once was. When I was getting it for $3.86/50 at Academy, it was great, but now it has jumped in cost so much I prefer brass for the reloading ability.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Without evidence to support it, it is just another opinion.
    The big difference being it's the manufacturer's opinion, not some nameless end user with no experience in manufacturing ammunition.

UZI Talk Supporter

I you reread my post I stated that is was a SEMI AUTO.
    I fired the chambered round and on extraction THE HEAD RIPPED OFF OF THE CASE!
    This has nothing to do with OOB, more about tensile strength.

If that case isn't strong enough to handle the extraction on a semi ,I know it won't handle the abuse of fullauto.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    The big difference being it's the manufacturer's opinion, not some nameless end user with no experience in manufacturing ammunition.
    Yep, and most firearm MFGs opinion is to only use new ammo, yet nameless end users with no experience in manufacturing ammunition or firearms use reloads all the time without problem, because there is not scientific evidence reloaded ammunition is inherently bad.

If they send you any facts, that would be interesting, but opinions are not needed, they are already record as saying NOGO for AL in OBs.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    Quote Originally Posted by Funker
    I you reread my post I stated that is was a SEMI AUTO.
    I fired the chambered round and on extraction THE HEAD RIPPED OFF OF THE CASE!
    This has nothing to do with OOB, more about tensile strength.

If that case isn't strong enough to handle the extraction on a semi ,I know it won't handle the abuse of fullauto.
    Well, I have 100,000 rounds without problem myself, so it certainly handles full-auto. That is pretty much undisputed.

Of course case separation on extraction has nothing to do with semi or full auto, but with chamber dimensions, extractor strength, spring strength and most likely clean or dirty.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I find it excellent but could not get it to run in my M11/9. Have not tried it with the Lage yet.
    From the Lage MAX-11 owner's manual.
    Note: Use of reloaded/remanufactured ammunition or steel or
    aluminum cased ammunition will void your warranty
    Dude, use whatever you like in your guns! I'm OK with it... really! The original poster asked for opinions and I gave mine which pretty much agreeded with yours. I hope to meet you in Dallas at the Uzi Talk shoot and we can discuss the relative merits of reloads, steel case, and aluminum ammo.

UZI Talk Supporter

Semper Vigilo
    Heh-heh never bothered to read the Lage manual.... Guess I am still safe on the warranty.

Yes, I will be there, thanks for the registration reminder.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Here's the reply I just received from Blazer ammo regarding use of their aluminum amo in subguns. This is THEIR opinion, not mine. Note they don't specificially say not to use it, but only warn against cases being pulled apart.

Renegade; I completed my travel arrangements yesterday and I've got my approved 5320.20s, so I look forward to seeing you and the other regulars this year in Dallas at Uzi Talk #5.

Tom: the open-bolt sub guns will extract the cartridge from the chamber while it is still obturated. That often causes the cases to be pulled apart as a result of the bolt movement. We make Blazer Brass ammunition which would be recommended over the aluminum cased Blazer product.

Shoot Straight!
    Coy Getman
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    Sr. Technical Coordinator
    (800) 627-3640 ext 5351

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 11:16 AM
    To: Experts, BlazerAmmo
    Subject: question from blazer-ammo.com

Sirs,

I've read with great interest the warning on the AFTME web site against using Blazer .45acp ammo in open bolt submachine guns. http://www.afte.org/announcements/CC...oltwarning.htm

While it doesn't appear to be a well researched investigation, I'm still concerned about using aluminum cased ammo in my submachine guns.

*Do you recommend using your brand of ammo in open bolt submachine guns?

Thanks for your response!

Kind Regards,

Tom XXXXXX

+ Reply to Thread