UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: whats the maximum effective range of a 30/06?

whats the maximum effective range of a 30/06?

asking about a remington 700 30/06 deer rifle.. i was just wondering if the 30/06 round is still accurate out to 600yds, maybe even 800yds, ive heard alot of criticism about this round at long range.. i ask because i want a rifle that i can hunt deer with, and if the situation of SHTF ever arises turn around and use it as a sniper, and i dont really feel like dishing out $1000 (plus $1500 for a nice piece of glass to top it off) for a 700 tactical 308, got too many "black rifles" on my wishlist to worry about an actual "sniper" rifle, ya know? i shot 2rds out of an overly fancy 30/06 in the same hole at 100yds once, but thats only 100yds.. to make a good comparison for me, try comparing it to a 308..

that and for a 308 ive got a hard-on for one of those PTR-91's, 223 id go for a golani as opposed to an AR.. if i were to buy an AR, id end up having to buy boat-loads of "goodies" for it that i wouldnt ever find any use for, golani id just buy as much mags/ammo as possible, i like to keep things simple, firearms-wise.. i guess thats why a 30/06 deer rifle catches my eye.. any input is, like always, MUCH appreciated..

Range Brass Whore
    UZI Talk Life Member
    If you keep the bullet super sonic it can be a very accurate and effective round out to 1000 yards. Of course this is the SHTF scenerio. I personally wouldn't shoot at a deer at half that range with a good rifle as your vital organ hit probability is very slim, and I won't take a shot on an animal if I'm not assured a good/great chance of a kill.

Now on the other hand, if you have a good range finder, can guess the drift of the bullet you're using in the wind that is blowing at the time, can accurately guess the different drops of the bullet in hot vrs. cold conditions and can dial your scope to hit a 15" circle at that range consistanly.......then I'd go for it.

Jim
    Last edited by jarhead jim; 03-02-2008 at 08:03 AM.
    My anger management classes are pissing me off!

I was Beat by a cute GIRL at the UT6 SMG Match and I did not even get a lousy T-Shirt

UZI Talk Life Member

Most shooters aren't practiced past 100 meters. The cartridge in practiced hands, good loads and good rifle is regularly used in competition at 600 meters with open sights. Heavier bullets like a 220 BT will retain there velocity better and decrease the change due to winddrift. Best results will be obtained using a barrel that is rifled for this projectile. Off the shelf rifles are typically rifled for use with 150-180 gr projectiles. The .338 and larger calibers are much better choices for shooting out past 800 or so because the projectile is still supersonic. One of my favorite long range guns is a 40-65, using a 409 gr bullet.

For a deer? Unless you're skilled, I'd keep it under 150 yards.

Skilled? That's a whole different answer!

UZI Talk Life Member
    fwiw Savage makes some good rifles. I've shot about 6 or 7 and I have a couple myself. Accuracy @ 300 to 400yds was good, (I went on an antelope hunt and a friend killed several with one of the "package rifles"). They are easy on the pocketbook which would free you up for better glass. Pre 64 M70 Winchesters usually shoot good as well. I have a couple of old Model 740 Remington's in '06 and I have killed a lot of deer with it out to 500 yds and it is a semi auto. 10 round magazines are plentiful for it but I don't think it would hold up too well if you started shooting 20 or 30 rounds non-stop.
    Opera Non Verbra

Unless you practice weekly, most rifles will outshoot your skill. In a shtf, you probably won't be doing (successfully, anyway) many 600+ shots.

thanks guys.. i realize that in SHTF the majority of shots are going to be under 400yds, but itd be nice to know i could do longer shots though if i ever needed to.. deer hunting most likely within 200yds.. however i was just wondering what its max range was..

i was looking at a .338, i WAS interested in one until i came to the problem of not finding any ammo available.. totally rules out that one, what good is having a rifle that you cant shoot?

UZI Talk Life Member
    you can get 30-06 anywhere basically and the surplus is one of the few calibers left that is somewhat affordable. It will also give you an excuse to get a Garand if you don't already have one and a 1903A3 is an excellent platform for deer huntin or huntin anything else for that matter.
    Last edited by 0331; 03-02-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: grammatical error
    Opera Non Verbra

Range Brass Whore
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Dantheman,

You mentioned some interest in the 338, but fell back for lack of ammo. The Savage 112 300 Win Mag I have will print sub 1" groups at 250 yards on sandbags with 88 grains of H-870 and a 190 grain Sierra Matchking Hollowpoint bullet. These are handloads with only neck sizing done to them after fireforming in the rifle first. This is the same load that had the world's record for 1000 yard group for a number of years. Savage makes probably the most accurate out of the box rifle under $600.

An interesting note at the bullet drop of a 190 grain bullet traveling supersonic.......at 1000 yards, your bullet will drop 25 feet! And that's one of the flatter shooting 1000 yard rounds.

Jim

I was Beat by a cute GIRL at the UT6 SMG Match and I did not even get a lousy T-Shirt

FFL 07/02
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot
    For a deer? Unless you're skilled, I'd keep it under 150 yards.
    150?? wow, I wouldnt recomend coming to SD to hunt if you think 150 is a long way. Not to flame on you but 150 is a cake shot for most people in this area considering the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot
    Skilled? That's a whole different answer!
    Skill on the other hand, you hit right on the nose. With mininal practise a shooter should be able to hit out pass 150 repeatidly with lethal accuracey. 300-600 is fairly comon among many of my hunters that come here to hunt.
    2013 FUN GUN SHOOT
    South Dakotas Largest Machine Gun Shoot

http://www.fungunshoot.com

i really really want a Remington 1903A3 to add to my collection someday, because i like the good ol' turnbolt military rifles as much as the 'evil' black ones.. a garand would be nice also but id want an AR, M1A, and M1 carbine (and a few more uzi's) before a garand..

jj, i took an interest in the 300WM also, but i found that 30/06 ammo is cheaper and easier to find, even though a 300WM has a flatter trajectory than a 308.. i WOULD consider a 300WM again some day, especially if i can find one for a good price to compensate for the ammo price, a Savage might be my ticket.. what are the specs and availability (barrel, stock, etc) for the savage?

the 300WM i was looking at was a Remington 710 (i love remingtons, i was raised with them), but i believe they dont make them in that caliber anymore.. the only other 300WM i like off the top of my head is the Armalite AR-30, which exceeds the $1500 range w/out optic.. WAY too much for me..

im kinda falling back to the $500 range for a Remngton 700 ADL i saw in an add i got in the mail recently.. it was only listed in 30/06 and had a 22" rifle-sight barrel and laminated stock, BEAUTIFUL rifle!

MrM4, i would love to go on out-of-state hunts where the game is bigger than in TX, but i hear out-of-state licenses are ridiculous price-wise.. hell, id even love to go on a dangerous game hunt in Africa if i ever could.. if a simple turkey hunt gives me a rush, i couldnt even begin to imagine the rush given by hunting something like rhino or hippo, even lion..
    Last edited by dantheman; 03-03-2008 at 04:46 AM.

Range Brass Whore
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Dantheman, for specs on the savage, you'd just have to go Google it cause I couldn't tell ya much there as for what they offer. I know the 112 has a larger forend that is rather flat on the bottom for sandbag type shooting, but if a skinny fuck like me can handle it comfortably, someone your size would like it. Mine has a stainless steel fluted barrel and a lamanated stock. But I hit it with several different cans of spraypaint to camoflage it. Plus you can change out the barrels and bolt faces at home if you want to change calibers. All you need are a barrel tightening bushing wrench and fired cases or headspace gauges to headspace your barrel/bolt.

Jim

thanks jj, ill look into that when i get the time, ive been really pre-occupied job hunting lately..

and recoil is NO problem for me whatsoever, in fact, i like it! i sold a 20ga last year or so because it just didnt have enough 'umph' to it, and i really dont understand why people think 12ga's kick too hard.. the only firearms i like that dont kick are black rifles..

UZI Talk Life Member

The Savage 112 is a great value and versatile rifle. The ones manufactured after '04(?) come with the Accu-Trigger, which is user adjustable down to 1.5 lbs.

The Remington 710 is nice and serviceable but not a good starting point for a precision rifle. Cast metal parts that are only finished for functional fit. It is Remingtons answer to the Savage "package" deals, rifle and scope combos.

The Remington 700's are the standard in my opinion. With a new trigger or trigger job, it is my favorite action.

Range Brass Whore
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Dantheman, you and I think alike on that recooil thing. I like guns that thump on both ends. Are you gonna make the UT5 trip?

Jim

i would LOVE to go on the UT5 shoot, but i cant say for sure yet.. ive been applying here and there around my general area and hopefully i will get a call back soon, so i can buy alot of ammo for it.. id really like the opportunity to finally shoot a full auto too, as im not fortunate enough to yet have a chance, but im ready to have a big toothy grin for days straight

as for the 'boomers' i have in mind, a Desert Eagle .50, EAA 10mm, 300WM, 12gauges, either a .480 or 44mag ruger DA.. and i wouldnt mind touching off a 700nitro express if one ever comes my way, wouldnt want to own one though..

i stopped by Gander Mountain earlier to get a 1 on 1 look at the remington 30/06 ive been drooling over, the guy said "if only youd been here 30min ago, we just sold the last 2 we had to the same guy", so i drooled over a Century Arms Golani instead, i ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO have one of those Golani's before theyre gone!! it'd look really nice next to my UZI

UZI Talk Life Member
    This may give you some idea of what an old war relic is capable of using factory iron sights at measured distances rather than optimistic guesstimates. Our VIMBAR, or Vintage MIlitary Bolt Action Rifle matches make use of as issued guns with no modifications allowed to any part of the gun and NO optics. These are as issued to the troops of the rifle's country of origin and it's amazing what the right shooter can do with a cheap surplus gun and ammo. Shots out to 500 yards on steel targets slightly smaller than a man are routine from a prone position and most misses are very close. Dealing with wind and desert mirages at those distances is a challenge, but to answer your question, YES, the 30-06 can be an accurate gun with the right optic, ammo, and practice for both deer and SHTF scenarios out to 600 yards and even further. Just consider that's a long shot on targets that size and distance without plenty of practice.

http://vegasshooters.proboards2.com/...ead=1202928536

i want to add more to my 'vintage' collection as well, thinking about a Remington 03A3, Enfield No4MkI, Yugo Mauser, German Mauser, Mosin Nagant M91/30 PU, russian SKS just off the top of my head.. all i have in my 'vintage' collection so far is a P14 enfield, russian M44, and a Yugo SKS.. but ive got to aquire a Golani, a PTR-91, and maybe a 2nd AK or UZI or both before i start back up on the vintage collection..

UZI Talk Life Member

Your collection should continue after an M1 Garand.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Everyone needs a Garand and a '03! and a Mauser, and a Mosin, and a Enfield, and a Krag, and a.......? well you get it.
    Opera Non Verbra

+ Reply to Thread