UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the UZI bayonet

Rural southeast GA-A shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and all that stuff.

Thoughts on the UZI bayonet

I purchased an UZI bayonet a couple of years ago and I had forgot about it until yesterday when I came across it in an ammo box. I bought it just because it went with the UZI so I figured I would pick one up. But, my question is do you think anyone actually ever used them? Seems strange to me. I also noticed that CZ makes a bayonet for one of there pistols. I just don't get it , but maybe I am missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by galilgunner
    I purchased an UZI bayonet a couple of years ago and I had forgot about it until yesterday when I came across it in an ammo box. I bought it just because it went with the UZI so I figured I would pick one up. But, my question is do you think anyone actually ever used them? Seems strange to me. I also noticed that CZ makes a bayonet for one of there pistols. I just don't get it , but maybe I am missing something.
    neat for collection but doesn't fit with my can on... rather the zombies not hear me than have to get close enough to stick 'em.

Only if you run out of ammo, then it Might be useful. I guess you could throw the whole thing like a real heavy ass spear, like if ummm one of the zombies were about 5 feet or less away from you. Sharp things hurt. Maybe you could loosen up some dirt with it for digging a hole???... Tie it to a stick and roast marshmellows or a rat, squirrel, rabbit, etc.

The mental comfort of knowing that you have that cold piece of metal on the end of your weapon has steeled the resolve of many a soilder and broken the will of many an enemy.

I recently purchased a bayonet. I look at it as a cool accessory, they seem to be hard to find these days. However, in a time of need it could be handy. If you have ever witnessed Krav Maga rifle techniques you can see that if the enemy rushes you may not have time to get a shot off right away. "Block, stick and shoot" may save your life.

The UZI bayonet is strictly psychological.

The idea of being shot can seem somewhat palatable as death may be quick.

The prospect of dying a gory, agonizing, prolonged death via bayonet is most upsetting.

Fear of the bayonet is primal and instinctive.

Almost as if there is a genetic memory in mankind whose legitimate fear of the tooth and talon of marauding animal predators during cave dwelling days is still intact.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

I guess you could jab it into a stump for a quick rifle stand. Lol
    I actually did that with an AR-15 one time while on a camping trip, hell it worked pretty good. Better than proping it against a tree to fall down or get knocked over.

UZI Talk Life Member
    It probably had some limited use in crowd control, as shooting everyone with a sub machinegun should be option #2. A moving wall of LEOs/soldiers with fixed bayos on their UZIs would back up a mob pretty good.
    Old Arizona saying: "A rattlesnake in the house ends all talk about animal rights!"

Yeah, I had not thought of that, but I guess it would do the job.

As Z06 noted, crowd control; as well, I'm told bayonets are put on subguns and carbines such as the M4 for guard duty usage.

UZI Talk Life Member
    We had them but they stayed in storage. They were never given out to the individual soldier. A load were destroyed and only a few made it onto the free market. Hence the pricing of over USD 100,- a piece...

I guess you could jab it into a stump for a quick rifle stand. Lol
    I actually did that with an AR-15 one time while on a camping trip, hell it worked pretty good. Better than proping it against a tree to fall down or get knocked over.
    Now THAT'S funny!!

It's even more ridiculous with the full-length carbine barrel - you got barely enough stickin' out past the end to clean the dirt from under your finger nails .

UZI Talk Supporter

I think that an Uzi bayo is not so much for sticking people offensively but "snatch proofing" the weapon. Anyone trying to grab it away from the owner will soon be nicknamed "Lefty".

What's kooky to me is that the Uzi's barrel length seems to be driven by the requirement of the bayonet's being able to mount on it.

In other words, if no bayonet was contemplated in the design, would the barrel likely be an inch or two shorter than it is? My guess is yes.

I chopped my barrel so it was just long enough for me not to accidentally get a finger in front of it when holding the front end.

Maybe the original thought was that because an SMG is a close range weapon, and SMG's often run out of ammo at inopportune times, maybe having a bayo stuck on the end could make it just a little more effective.

It does seem kind of ludicrous though. But is an M9 bayo on an M4 carbine really much different?

Bayonets: Inertia in action

A brief history of the bayonet - Around the 17th century, someone figured out that a blade on the end of your muzzle-loading rifle allowed it to double as a pike in your infantry square (upon which infantry tactics had been based for about 2 millenia). The invention of spotted artillery and the machine gun circa WWI decisively ended the infantry square as a battle tactic (but NOT before a quarter of a million French Poilus were butchered). Therefor, the bayonet has not had a valid military purpose for almost a hundred years - not unlike close-order drill (but thats another debate).

However the military mind is trained to look backward, not forward. Therefor weapons are still designed with a bayonet mounting. Frankly I'm never going to believe any future war movies (Starship Troopers, et al) until I see the "Plasma Rifle in 40-watt range" with a bayonet mount. You KNOW the idiots at the top of the khaki pyramid will specify one in the purchase specs.

So the presense of the bayonet in endlessly rationalized. Guarding prisoners. Civil disturbances. Fill-in-the blank here. The official army line is that the presense of the bayonet on the rifle makes the individual soldier "more aggressive and more likely to finally close with the enemy".

But its all marsh gas. If you want to hang a bayonet on your smg, by all means go ahead.

I'll just pack the equivalent weight in ammo instead and be way ahead.

Yeah I have a bayonet for my Uzi and for my Swedish K and a few of my rifles. But they're more for conversation than for anything serious.

You bring up a point about bayonets on plasma rifles. Why do so many Sci-Fi shows have guys and gals running about with swords, daggers, bayonets while fielding ray guns/40 Meg plasma rifles, etc.? Is it that the intimidation factor of a blade survives time? I won't even go into the Roman Centurion dress. (Still using up the costumes from Ben Hur?).

UZI Talk Life Member
    It's funny, the day I took the UZI/bayonet setup to the range, I actually got more questions about the bayonet than the F/A fun-switch.
    Attached Images  
    The problem with common sense is that it's not so common.

I have a bayonet for all the weapons that I have (if they have a provision for it)...for these reasons:

1. "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

2. It's cool (like the "ka-ching!" of money, or the "ch-chunk!" of a shotgun being pumped, fitting a bayo is just WAY cool.)

3. Gives you a blade to hang on your webgear (yeah, I have a Ka-Bar too, but it's on my belt "first line" gear)

4. Because it pisses off the liberals.

UZI Talk Life Member

I bought one for my UZI.Everyone who has seen it thought it was interesting for a smg.
    My Sex Life Is Like A Ferrari,I Don't Have A Ferrari.

I would pay outrageous money to have one of those folding foregrips that locks into the bayonet lug.

+ Reply to Thread