UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help on MAC-10 9mm Slow fire Conversion

Need Help on MAC-10 9mm Slow fire Conversion

Hi Ö Everyone. Iím new to this forum and would like to say ďthis is an excellent place for MACísĒ. The group knowledge bank is unbelievable. WOW! Is all I can say.

I would like to request some help regarding a MAC-10 9mm slow fire conversion. I would like to put a AR-15 stock on my MAC-10 [9mm]. I was able to locate a paper, or procedure on the WEB from (Wild Bill). I think this was one of the first attempts to make a slow fire? (which also was a MAC-11) But, I was told we came along way since then. I would like to feel confident this conversion is going to work, before I start machining a registered Title II receiver. I donít want to end up with a pile of scrap. My mechanical skills are fairly good. All I need is a little guidance and direction.

I am currently working on an Excel program to calculate Bolt Velocity and Spring Energy. When its complete, I will be happy to share it with anyone interested.

Thank you for your kind cooperation. Sorry for the verbose post for the first time on this board.

Tom

Welcome to Uzitalk!

Are you aware you can get a Lage slow fire upper for the Mac-10/9mm? You have to get on a waiting list for one but you wouldn't have to drill a hole in your lower.

http://www.max-11.com/videos/MAX10ROFTEST.wmv

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    shoot me a email and I wiil tell you all you need to know about the slowfire conversion.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tvincent
    I would like to request some help regarding a MAC-10 9mm slow fire conversion. I would like to put a AR-15 stock on my MAC-10 [9mm].

Paul45120 has done his own TASK style to his M10/45. He can likely be of a lot of assist as to making the stock adapter (machining is his day job) and bolt mod for you, along with buffer for stock. Look him up in the member list, and PM him, he is a really good fella.

I think this was one of the first attempts to make a slow fire? (which also was a MAC-11)
    Jim Weaver and Capt Monty built the first TASK style that I am aware of, thats why I refer to it as "style", unless Jim does it, it is original, done elsewhere, it is "style"..... I did my own TASK "style" on my M11-9, with small help from machine shop friend.

But, I was told we came along way since then. I would like to feel confident this conversion is going to work, before I start machining a registered Title II receiver. I don’t want to end up with a pile of scrap. My mechanical skills are fairly good. All I need is a little guidance and direction.

No actual machining of frame actually needed, just a hole in rear plate for op-rod to pass to work the buffer in the AR/M16 stock. The machining will be to the bolt (bore hole and thread) for op-rod, and make stock adapter for M10 frame.

Tom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-n_iVllktk

Last edited by UZI SBR AWC; 07-25-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Welcome, I'm glad you found the site.

UZI Talk Life Member

Welcome!

We have come a long way since the "Task" slow fire conversion. Unless it is an issue of money, I vote for the Lage conversion. No permanent modifications to your gun. To me it looks much better and it functions unbelievably. If you are someone that has to tinker, play with different bolt weights when you get a Lage upper.

A while back I found what I believe is the same article you did while waiting for Lage Mfg to get their Max-11 production line started. I got tired of waiting and was ready to convert my gun when I got that e-mail from Richard Lage that read my upper was ready send money. In hindsight I am glad I did not convert my gun. In my opinion it would have been a big mistake. My Max-11 is my favorite subgun to shoot.

TASK

I have actualy done a 45 and 9mm slow fire conversion for my MAC 10. I also have made buffers and different weights for both the CAR and standard stock. My gun is also set up to use either single feed or double feed 9mm mags with the same bolt. All told there is probably over a dozen different ways I can set up the gun with different uppers and springs,buffers,and weights. This gives me a ROF from 500 rpm up to the stock rate in both 45 and 9mm. CAR, standard AR, wire, or Cobray wood stock, optics, iron sights, or AR style BUIS.

As was said earlier it's a $150 gun with a $3k piece of paper. I bought mine mainly as a toy to play with. I've probably spent as much on parts to play with (upperes, bolts, mags,stocks) as I did for the the gun.

Am I worried about messing up the gun and losing money? Hell no. It's just a toy and this over grown kid is going to play with it untill his heart is content.

Great pic there Hal. Who is that "over grown kid" anyways?

UZI Talk Life Member

paul,you me and UZI SBR AWC will have to get together sometime and shoot.
    My Sex Life Is Like A Ferrari,I Don't Have A Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmsubgun-m11
    paul,you me and UZI SBR AWC will have to get together sometime and shoot.
    Sounds good to me.

Were you at the ISSMC shoot? I was there for Sat. Thats where the pic came from.

Quote Originally Posted by paul45120
    Sounds good to me.

Were you at the ISSMC shoot? I was there for Sat. Thats where the pic came from.
    Sitting down behind the red cooler -

UZI Talk Life Member

Looks like 3 shysters sitting there to me.
    My Sex Life Is Like A Ferrari,I Don't Have A Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Doug
    We have come a long way since the "Task" slow fire conversion...
    I'll just throw out one thing here. I have played with the Lage M11 a little (as in, I've shot a mag or two - no extensive experience). Workmanship is excellent. My first impression of the unit was that it was choppier than my TASK-style conversion. It felt very similar to shooting an Uzi. To me, my gun shoots more smoothly than the Lage.

As Paul 45120 noted, you have a wide variety of combination of buffers and springs to tune the gun to exactly what you want. OTOH, Richard has a couple of different weight bolts for his upper that would seem to cover most any use you would need.

As I said, this was just a quick first impression. It would be interesting to do some extensive testing of the two side by side.

UZI Talk Life Member

Garrett,

In all fairness I should point out that I have not shot a TASK conversion at all. I was just basing my opinion off of cyclic rates, appearance and required modifications. You may very well be right about the feeling of each during cycling. I will have to yield to those, such as yourself, who have fired both. ON a "MAC" I personally do not like the non-folding CAR or fixed AR stock that is necessary for the Task conversion. I like my ACE folding stock.

There is still room to play even with the Lage as far as cyclic rates etc. I have a few bolts with homemade weights for varying cyclic rates. I have a true 760 rpm (using WWB) bolt. I machined the 760 rpm bolt for my son who wanted the same cyclic rate as his S&W 76. There are other ways you can individualize your Max-11 also.

I guess we could (Chad & I) get together and have a shoot off & evaluate the "feel" of each system, his Max-11 and my "TASK" style ...

+ Reply to Thread