UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uzi .45 auto mag question, Why prices so high ????

Uzi .45 auto mag question, Why prices so high ????

I am thinking about picking up an IMI Uzi pistol in .45 auto, and i am seeing that the mags are running in the price range of 100-150 EACH, is this the case or are there alternatives to .45 cal Uzi mags.

Like mabe converted grease gun or sten mags.

PLease, any and all information would be helpful, as i want to pick the gun up int morning, and he has 10 extra for it for the 150.00 each price tag.....

for the small IMI uzi pistol (and not a vector fullsize or mini without the stock...but titles as a pistol)...you don't have much choice if you want to fire .45 cal.
    The .45 pistols usually go between $950 and $1100, unless the election drove those prices up also.
    There are 9mm conversions to be found if you look. Much more cost effective if you want to shoot the gun much. These generally have a bolt and barrel, and maybe a mag. Probably between $100 to $150+ for a conversion kit.
    You can also find stripped mini uzi bolts for about $20 and have the cocking lug notch milled into it by a machine shop (use the .45 bolt as a pattern). (Actually, I have 1 mini bolt laying around and can get a notch kit into it for you...PM me if interested).
    Then get uzitalk member Barrelxchange to make a pistol barrel. Uzi 9mm mags can be found for $10 to $20 for 25 and 32 round capacities.
    If you really search and wait you may find the rare deal on a .45 mag for under $100...but not often. You can find the 10rd mags for about $60 (last ones I saw), and the 16 and 20rd mags are often $100-$150 and up.

I really want to keep it .45 auto, ive heard of .45 mag conversions being done on grease gun mags, or others, do you know if this is true or not.

They cost this much because of supply and demand. There is very few and demand is high. If there were a couple hundred thousand of them on the market right now then you would see them sell for $25 each. It is really that simple.

As for the GG mags there are no MAG conversion that I am aware of. They are much wider being a double stack single feed vs the Uzi single stack single feed. For the FULL size Uzi there is a replacement grip assembly that uses GG mags.

I had a 45 Uzi that I sold in the days prior to the CA AWB. I gave the buyer 3 mags with the pistol, but kept 4-16rnd and 4-10rnd mags for myself.
    When I came across conversions for my carbine and pistol, I was stoked to not have to shell out $35-50 ea for 45 mags.

Gahd, they've really come up in price, haven't they? Its a shame someone doesn't make an AM mag for the 45 Uzi.

The Uzi pistol 45 conversions kits are scarce--all Uzi pistol conversion kits have escalated in price (9mm + 45). The 45 10rd and 16 rd mags are scarce
    so those with them are holding for top dollar (never seen a 20rd). The GG conversions were done on FULL SIZE Uzi carbines not the pistol version. Surprized someone has not mounted an Uzi 45 on top of a grease gun mag. personally not interested in Uzi pistol in 45acp. Have heard too many stories about rear of receiver developing cracks and needing welding to correct. Most likely is cheaper to get a 9mm pistol, find 45 bolt & mag, buy barrel from barrelxchange.

Either Barrel Xchange or Chris Humphreys were producing .45 kits for the FA open bolt Mini that used grease gun mags. I got mine from BarrelXchange.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I think black dog machine could make a killing on polymer .45 mags.

I can tell you one thing that has happened to the .45 cal uzi mags... I have a Oly Arms .45 acp upper for my AR and they used to ship the Uzi 15 rnd mags as factory..

I have some of the modified uzi mags,, and I have a different question.. they only hold 10 rds.. Now,. did Oly swap followers? or did they add more spring to make it 10 rds,, looking at it.. they weren't cut down.. they are marked "45 acp" and you can see the 15 rnd mark on the mag.

I can also tell you that converting GG mags won't work on account of thay are wider in Diminsion than the uzi mags,, they are a really tight fit in my AR.. you would have to sand about 1/16" per side to get close to a decent fit.

I would like a OAL mag length and the follower and spring lengths..so I know where OLY modified the mags,.. I'm not in kali so I can have full length mags

TIA

CooT

As far as I know .45ACP Uzi magazines are either 10 or 16 round capacity.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jager

You are correct sir.

There are some 20's around, they may be marked .41AE, will fit .45, and are sometimes found as Oly .40 cal mag conversions for AR15 (Oly welded a mag block onto them).

I do not have 41AE magazines, only .45ACP, but I believe the 41AE are the same length as the .45ACP. The 41AE round is smaller than the .45ACP round, so more of them will fit in the same length magazine. I hate to state the obvious, I am just trying to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager
    Thes mags I have are clearly marked ".45 ACP" and marked for 15 rnds,, Oly arms has altered them for 10 rnds , longer spring maybe, or combo follower and spring,. possibly to conform to Kali laws

When I have some free time,. I will disassemble one and take pics..

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old CooT
    Thes mags I have are clearly marked ".45 ACP" and marked for 15 rnds,, Oly arms has altered them for 10 rnds , longer spring maybe, or combo follower and spring,. possibly to conform to Kali laws
    If all that was altered was the spring and or follower call Suka as I purchased some replacement springs and followers for the 16rd 45acp mags from him, he may still have some avail.
    Name:  punisherGuns2.gif
Views: 2653
Size:  17.4 KB
    Last edited by ADAM12; 01-11-2009 at 10:47 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old CooT
    I can tell you one thing that has happened to the .45 cal uzi mags... I have a Oly Arms .45 acp upper for my AR and they used to ship the Uzi 15 rnd mags as factory..

(snip)

I can also tell you that converting GG mags won't work on account of thay are wider in Diminsion than the uzi mags,, they are a really tight fit in my AR.. you would have to sand about 1/16" per side to get close to a decent fit.
    don't know if you have seen it, but here is a lower reciever (Cav Arm) that they make that takes the GG mag without modification. You do have to use a magwell adapter, but it works well.

I put one of these on my .45 upper and found it worked well with the GG mags.

Plus, you can use it with .223 mags and a .223 upper without modification.

Dave
    Common Sense is the Least Common of all Man's Senses.

+ Reply to Thread