UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATF and Address Change

UZI Talk Supporter

ATF and Address Change

Forgive my lack of Sterling content, but this is a general question for the only firearm forum I belong to.

My current address is a Rural Route and Box number, but soon will be changed to a street address for EMS and fire service requirements. What reporting to the ATF is necessary for NFA weapons if I am in the same physical location but the address changes? Form number if any? Thank You for the help. Regards, Bob

UZI Talk Life Member
    No notification is required even if you move to another city as long as it's within the same state. My only notification of BATF after an in state move has been when I've filed a form 5320.20 for travel to other states with my title 2 weapons.

Done. They now have a record of my new address on file and I'm free to travel for up to a year to other states with my Sterling and other subguns.

UZI Talk Supporter

I thought there was a requirement to notify the ATF if your place of residence, and where the NFA weapon resides, changes. If not, how do they keep track of where the titled pieces are located? Bob

UZI Talk Life Member
    While BATF would like for you to notify them of any intrastate move, it's not a legal requirement. Let me repeat that... it's not a legal requirement.

I've sold a couple of machine guns after moving to a neighboring city that were purchased in another city. I never notified BATF prior to submitting the Form 4 for the buyer and never had a problem.

Notify them if you like, or just file a 5320.20 for another state that you're likely to travel to with your Sterling in the upcoming year. They'll have your new "return to" address on file and you've killed two birds with one stone.

UZI Talk Supporter

Thanks Vegas, In this day and age I am always in favor of saving myself some paperwork. I appreciate the education. Regards, Bob

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks for the info, was wondering this myself.
    Sometimes a law is enacted to protect our freedom and most of the time laws are enacted to serve the agenda of some special interest group seeking power which often restricts our freedom and, upon this occasion, it prevented the truly gallant from getting their well deserved due.

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member2008.png

+ Reply to Thread