UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LOW SHELF LOWERS?

LOW SHELF LOWERS?

I am looking to buy a lightning link soon, so I was wondering if anybody knows what brands of AR receivers that are low shelf. I know that dpms and bushmaster are, but I would like to know if anybody knows of some other factory low shelf choices.

Quote Originally Posted by 600rpmkrinkov
    I am looking to buy a lightning link soon, so I was wondering if anybody knows what brands of AR receivers that are low shelf. I know that dpms and bushmaster are, but I would like to know if anybody knows of some other factory low shelf choices.
    All of MGI's lowers are made low shelf and ready for a DIAS. Added advantage is that you can shoot any of the calibers in one lower set up for auto fire. you can get more info at: www.MGImilitary.com

UZI Talk Life Member
    I just received an order of 4 of the MGI lowers and was surprised (and happy) to see that these were engraved SAFE, SEMI. So now I can just get FULL engraved.

It is my understanding that all LAR Manufacturing lowers are low shelf:

* Anvil Arms 

* LAR 

* Bushmaster 

* Ameetec 

* DPMS 

* CMMG 

* Double Star 

* Fulton Armory 

* Gunsmoke Enterprises 

* Spike's

Along with new MGI lowers. I would highly recommend that you have some relief work done to the lower to get extra clearance for the LL. The original SP1 Colt lowers were the lower that was used for the design of the LL. The radius of the cut for the fire control opening and the end of the takedown opening is sharper in the old Colt lower than the radius cuts in a Bushmaster or MGI.

I used a Bushmaster and a MGI with the LL I sold this summer. I had both lowers opened up like the lower on the right in the picture below. The Bushmaster lower went with the link. Here is a picture of two Bushmaster lowers. One on the left is an unaltered factory Bushmaster. The Bushmaster lower on the right has had extra relief work done to keep horizontal stress from squeezing the link.

I'm sorry but I don't have a picture of a SP1 lower to compare. The LL was sold to me in a Bushmaster host. The link would work without a KNS protector on the link. The original Bushmaster lower would push the link together from either side. Since the link has a split down the middle, it was flexing the link toward the center. The LL protector has the exact same shape as the LL, but is solid in the center. So the protector can't flex toward the center, so the link/protector would bind on the radius where the fire control opening narrows over the selector.

There was also the same issue at the end of the take down opening where the buffer retainer is. There were marks on the link from the small amount of use from the previous owner's use of the link. He had bought and used the link long before the KNS protector existed. He told me that the dealer he bought the link from apologized that the sales price for the link was $700. Of course back in the day, a LL sold for $40 plus the stamp.

I would highly recommend the MGI lower. Like "amphibian", my favorite AR set up is 7.62X39. I have an 11.5" upper that I use with an AAC M47-2000 can and EBR 220 grain 7.62X39 subsonic ammo. I had some "Franken" mags and a drum with a feed tower. Standard ball ammo would work fine. But the soft point 220 grain ammo wouldn't feed. But with the MGI with the AK magwell, AK mags and some feed ramp work in the upper, the MGI would feed the subsonic ammo. It is about as loud as my 9mm 5" TROS upper with 147 grain and my Gem-Tech Raptor. Two of the three MGI lowers I have are marked "SAFE" and SEMI". It is too bad that MGI doesn't offer a lower already marked "AUTO".

Scott

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600rpmkrinkov

I'd be leary of buying anything from Anvil Arms. If you want details pm me. Double Star, Spike's or GSI are good platforms I have one of each.
    ''If We Aren't Supposed To Eat Animals''. ''Why Are They Made Of Meat''?

"Don't Tell Me the Sky's the Limit When There Are Footpirnts on the Moon" (unknown)

UZI Talk Life Member
    The person that pm'd me about anvl arms please pm me again I had problem opening it.
    ''If We Aren't Supposed To Eat Animals''. ''Why Are They Made Of Meat''?

"Don't Tell Me the Sky's the Limit When There Are Footpirnts on the Moon" (unknown)

I run a LL in a couple of Spikes Tacticals. Can't say enough good things about them. The best part is the pictogram markings.

I used a dremel tool to widen the inside of the lower receiver. It's ulgy as hell, but I'm the only one who sees it.

UZI Talk Supporter

I think it was a post by M-60 joe that talked about the contact points on the lower. I bought several lowers from Spike's at the gun shows, very nice! There are some that offer a safe semi full for the FCG that are worth the money. You might consider the KNS defender.

+ Reply to Thread