UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6

Thread: Reloading Subsonic 9mm

Subguns, in general, mean round nose only.

Some folks are lucky and FP's will run. Some folks (most?) aren't that lucky.

My advice is that if you're going to give the FP's a shot, don't back the truck up without trying them first.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sillycon View Post
    Subguns, in general, mean round nose only.

Some folks are lucky and FP's will run. Some folks (most?) aren't that lucky.

My advice is that if you're going to give the FP's a shot, don't back the truck up without trying them first.

That is good advice, thanks.

FFL 07/02
    UZI Talk Life Member
    I have a stack of 147 TC that will run in my UZI and M11 Just fine. However my MP5 hates them, every 2 to 4 round I get a jam. Ive played with the OAL but have yet to make it work in all my sub guns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrM4 View Post
    I have a stack of 147 TC that will run in my UZI and M11 Just fine. However my MP5 hates them, every 2 to 4 round I get a jam. Ive played with the OAL but have yet to make it work in all my sub guns.
    You better trade that junky mp5 to me for another uzi then

Quote Originally Posted by MrM4 View Post
    Sometimes TC or flat points can cause feed issues.

TC's feed amazingly well. I currently manufacture 135g RN and 147g FP coated with Hi-tech coating (well 124g RN also in 9mm). I ordered two more machines and I get a new set of molds with each one, I am considering ordering the 145g or 160g 38 super mold with intention of using them for subsonic loads. Obviously I wouldn't advertise this, but a low powder charge and setting the bullet to the max overall length you can feed reliably should provide a nice subsonic round without any pressure issues.

Hi,

I wouldn't worry about running heavies if you know what you are doing. I've shot 40,000+ Saeco 64928 145RNBB(correction, the Saeco number is #928 for this bullet but designed to drop bullets @ .358-.359)@ 1.15 OAL from 800fps to 1050fps w/o a hitch. I would be shooting them now if my local caster had kept his molds in good shape. I always run .358 diameter in my 9's. Unfortunately his bullets post sizing are running .357 x .358. In other words, they are not round any more. Widners sold the 145RNBB years back but their caster gave them up also.

Funny thing, years ago, even Winchester had 231 loads for 147's (it was 3.3-3.5gr IIRC). That is a mild load in a pistol (850fps-900fps) but it makes a great subsonic & target load.

As you mentioned, keep the OAL at the upper limit of the spec. (Ugly things can happen if they run short. Maybe that is why you don't see load data advertised for them, except in the Lymann Reloading Book. I've run them a bit longer on subguns if the magazines can feed them ok. 1.17 was my OAL for 158RN. There are currently a bunch of commercial casters making 160RN. Again, I prefer the .358 diameter (since my chambers will accept a round loaded with a .358 diameter bullet). Lucky for me they size them for 38/357 @ .358.

The 145RN were all mild loads and I'd shoot them in Sigs, Berettas, CZ, G..., and my 38/357 revolvers as well as F/A guns. Excellent bullet that Saeco 64928. When weights get up to 158 and better, the ammo is used in the open bolt sub guns.

Remember, IMI sold 158's loaded in 9mm ammo. I figure that my be why the Uzi has 1-10 twist.

Just make sure whatever you are shooting is stabilizing. Shoot paper for awhile. If bullets are going sideways into the paper, just think what they can do for your can!

Enjoy,

K2
    Last edited by K2; 07-07-2014 at 07:53 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    kcininck,

If you get the Saeco 64928 145RNBB mold and size to .358" I will definitely buy a bunch. I know a bunch of other guys that will be interested.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

BWE Firearms & BWE Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    www.bweparts.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWE Firearms View Post
    kcininck,

If you get the Saeco 64928 145RNBB mold and size to .358" I will definitely buy a bunch. I know a bunch of other guys that will be interested.
    +1
    Signature

UZI Talk Life Member

I know this is older thread, however Rocky mountain reloading has 147 grain complete metal jackets available for $115/K and they have been great to me. Probably worth a look. I am not an internet or tech guy so google them. I am happy with the quality and consistency of what they sell. Happy 2015 to all

UZI Talk Supporter
    3.4 g Unique and a 147g Lucky 13 coated bullet at COL 1.12-1.125 gives me right at 910-920 FPS. Very quiet and soft shooting in subgun or G17

Hi All,

FWIW, there are several bullet casters offering 160grRN and 170grRN with the "Hi Tek" coating. I'm not chemist but the bullet has some heat set polymer baked on. No exposed lead. Smell a bit funny when fired. Very clean barrel. I've not tried the NLG (No Lube Groove) version of the 160RN. The LG versions I've fired seem to work just fine subsonic and hit falling plates with quite a bit of snap. I've only used them at 1.15 OAL and there have been no signs of pressure running them around 950 FPS in a 10" barrel, 1-10 twist.

Just thought I throw these out there. IMI made the old 158grRN Blue Tip ammo years back. Now it is easy to roll your own.

Good Luck,

K2

UZI Talk Life Member
    I would like to try them too because I powder coat. Hardline Industries was the only place I could find selling the molds without a lube groove. I emailed them twice for a quote on a mold but they have not responded.

I have been using my Lee 158 grain cast bullets (which cast at 161 grains w/ my alloy) but they are really dependent on the right brass thickness.

Just in case any of you guys check back on this thread......."Remember, IMI sold 158's loaded in 9mm ammo. I figure that my be why the Uzi has 1-10 twist.
    " SG Ammo is selling this 158gr 9mm military surplus loads by box or case again, just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    I would like to try them too
    i would like to try them as well.
    and by the way, Jimmy thanks for the heads up!

+ Reply to Thread