UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Subsonic 9mm

UZI Talk Supporter

Reloading Subsonic 9mm

Hi guys I was wondering whether you all could provide some input on loading subsonic 9mm with a Dillon 550. I would be running these rounds through SA UZIs and a couple of Sig pistols outfitted with Gemtech cans.

What kind of bullets should I use? I see that Dillon has Berry's plated 147 gr. RN for $102.70/1000 and Midway has Remington 147 gr. FMJ for $139.99/1000. It does not seem like there is a large selection of 147 gr. bullets. Also is there any particular powder you guys prefer?

Any advice would be most welcome thanks.
    "Har Habayit beyadenu" - Gen. Motta Gur

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - Han Solo

UZI Talk Life Member

Bullets from Precision Delta are $84.00/1000 and free shipping when you buy in multiples of 2000.I have been using Hodgon Titegroup @ 3.6gr.
    My Sex Life Is Like A Ferrari,I Don't Have A Ferrari.

There are some loads >147gr out there too. Not sure how they'd work with a can though....

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmsubgun-m11
    Bullets from Precision Delta are $84.00/1000 and free shipping when you buy in multiples of 2000.I have been using Hodgon Titegroup @ 3.6gr.
    good combo

UZI Talk Life Member

UZI SBR AWC turned me on to this load.

UZI SBR AWC turned me on to this load.
    Amphibian turned me onto that load, thank him.

Range Brass Whore
    UZI Talk Life Member
    My wife turned me on too.

Jim
    My anger management classes are pissing me off!

I was Beat by a cute GIRL at the UT6 SMG Match and I did not even get a lousy T-Shirt

UZI Talk Life Member

What load are you using jj?

FFL 07/02
    UZI Talk Life Member

That what I do, works well in semi ARs and the max11

I reloaded 4000 rounds of subsonic 9mm in the past 2 months.
    I used Frontier plated 147 grain bullets w/ 4gr of Unique.

Running around -30db in my YHM Wraith on my Max-11 and about the same on my MK-760.

I have used as little as 3.7 grains of Unique and it will cycle but I prefer a
    little extra relaibility in cycling.

I have run this in a full auto Glock w/ Neilson and no problems cycling.

Unique is a little dirty but at the price its hard to beat.

Oh I use a Dillion 550B as well and I mounted it on a rolling Chasis (w/ casters) Rolls right back into the closet after a long Saturday night watching
    war movies and reloading. I can do about 500-600 per hour easily.

Berrys 147 gr and 3.0 gr of Clays Universal. Runs great

I wonder how a full case of 3F black powder would run? It'd loud as hell and smoke like crazy. Don't use your can though. It'd be ugly. BP 45ACP is a hoot!

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasmotor
    Berrys 147 gr and 3.0 gr of Clays Universal. Runs great

I can't get that to work in anything that has a little bolt weight to it. I load 4gr of U.clays in order to get reliable ejection. To be fair the loading manual says 3.3 is the max, but I load European 9mm ammo.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrippHammer
    Oh I use a Dillion 550B as well and I mounted it on a rolling Chasis (w/ casters) Rolls right back into the closet after a long Saturday night watching
    war movies and reloading. I can do about 500-600 per hour easily.

What do you do to keep your "rolling bench" from rolling away during reloading? Do the wheel retract....?

See guys......... Although not as fast, the Dillon 550 will still crank out the ammo. You just need a good war movie to watch.......

Better to have it and not need it.... Than need it and not have it...................

UZI Talk Supporter
    Guys thanks for all the great tips! You all really helped me save some money turning me on to Precision Delta. I also went ahead and bought some 230 gr. .45 and some 115 gr. 9mm as the prices seemed right. Got powder and primers too so I should be good to go. I am really shocked by how much the prices of reloading components has gone up since I last went shopping for this stuff.

A local shop, Pantera Guns, that I used to just visit for primers has gone from $20/ K to $30 / K. That place has always been a rip, but still. It was very difficult even finding primers online. Anyone have a source for cheap primers??

TrippHammer watching war movies while reloading is the best!! How heavy is the cart you are using? It would be nice to have the 550 go mobile. We used to have it temporarily attached to the kitchen table in college but it was too rickety and light.
    "Har Habayit beyadenu" - Gen. Motta Gur

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - Han Solo

UZI Talk Life Member

BINGO!!
    I just loaded 1000 rds of this exact load today.

Your not going to beleive me but I use an old Guitar amp w/ out the guts in it as my 550b mount.

The casters are round types (old Peavy) and I use large C-clamps to hold it down to the deck.

From the gound to the base plate its 28 inches. Just at the right hight when sitting at the love seat or couch w/ a few snacks and Dr.peppers on the coffee table...next to my laptop of course.

I replaced the ball lever w/ the roller type. I was getting cramps in my palm after about an hour of pressing and pulling.

The only thing that kinda bumms me about the 550b is the shell plate screw on my unit gets tight instead of turning w/ even pressure on the shell plate.
    so I have to constantly back the shell plate screwa half turn every time I rotate stations or it locks up and I have to reverse it to get the stations to move freely.

You need a consistant amount of pressure on the shell plate for the cartridges to seat properly. Nothing sucks more than wobbly rifle cartriges when loading. makes for some challenges in alignment and bent throats.
    pistol brass is no big deal and is almost monotanious in loading. I hard ever look down, just get ina rythem and feel my way thru a few hundred rounds.

My $.02 worth

UZI Talk Life Member
    Precision Delta is all I use now. I used to use Berry's but I think they went on the cheap as the last batch I got from them was undersized. .354 and .355. Plated lead bullets should be .356 and it even says so on their website. This caused accuracy issues in some barrels.
    As others mentioned here, I really like the Titegroup 3.6 Gr load.
    Quiet and clean burning.

FFL 07/02
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quiet yes, clean.......well..... maybe not as much as I would like. But it does work very well.

UZI Talk Life Member

I just got done loading a few myself.I had not loaded any since November so I figured I better load a few so the machine does'nt freeze up.

+ Reply to Thread