UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gemtech Viper or AWC Mk-9 in 45 for Mac 10?

Gemtech Viper or AWC Mk-9 in 45 for Mac 10?

I have the Lage upper for my Mac 10 and am wanting to suppress it. I'm torn between the Gemtech Viper (which has the locking feature that is uber cool) and the AWC Mk-9 in 45. What I'd really like to know is if there is any "blow back" through the ejection port using the Viper. It is significantly thinner in diameter than the Mk-9, and that causes me concern as I'm a lefty.

Does anyone here have a Viper? If so, please chime in with your impression and experience.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Used to have a viper and absolutely loved it. Got tired of other suppressors coming loose. Not sure about the gas blow back but then again, I am right handed.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    MK45. If you want the best, that is it.
    Chris Hipes
    Hipes Consulting Services LLC
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    poulan10takethisoutsoidonotgetmorespam@yahoo.com
    North Texas

Chris, are you referring to the AWC Mk-9 in 45?
    Steve

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Yup, at least thats what AWC refers to them as on their price sheet they sent me
    Chris Hipes
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    North Texas

I have the Viper in 9mm on my Lage and it is very quiet. I think it is a little louder with the stock upper for some reason. My buddy has a pretty nice modern can on his Lage and he gets much more blowback than I do. I think the Viper gets overlooked too quickly in favor of modern designs. Don't know if any of this will translate to .45, though.

But these considerations will. The viper locks, and it's very nice not to have to worry about it coming unscrewed. The Viper will not be as easy to put on a pistol and it will look like ass on a pistol if you do get it done. I use the Lage canted grip and I have to take the Viper locking ring off to disassemble the gun or switch uppers. At first this seemed like a pain but I got used to it and it only takes a couple minutes to put it back on.

If I had to do it all over I'm not sure what I'd do. I like the fact that the Viper is quiet and has little blowback on my rig. But it doesn't transfer well to other guns and now I am looking at getting another can for $600-700 with stamp for my pistol, etc.

I have the Viper in .45 and find it to be a very good can. I also use the .45 cal can with my 9mm upper and it is equally effective with subsonic ammo and even very quiet with supersonic 9mm ammo. One can does them both as far as I am concerned. I only wish it could be torn down for cleaning.

FFL/C&R
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chili17
    Yup, at least thats what AWC refers to them as on their price sheet they sent me

Hahahaaaaa, WELL... AWC is WRONG then... lol

I could have sworn that the reference "MK9" applied to .380acp, 9mm Luger & .45acp. Really, no kiddin'...
    "My GOD can kick your god's ass... !"

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Well, I was wrong I just looked at my dealer price sheet and it says MK9. It was me that was calling it a MK45 when I emailed them requesting pricing.
    Chris Hipes
    FFL/SOT 07/02
    North Texas

Just change the caliber stamp -

UZI Talk Life Member
    Between California and Georgia, south of Mississippi and Alabama, but north of Cuba.
    I have the Viper 9 and .45 (shoot .45 mostly). I absolutely LOVE the can! It sounds EXACTLY like an impact wrench when doing a mag dump.

When your shooting full auto the heat guard on the can is MUCH needed! So is the locking feature. The MK AWC doesn't have either (that I know of), and this will make life VERY difficult when the can gets hot!

Honestly, the AWC is probably quieter, but you'll be so stinking happy with the Viper you wont know which way is up! Both carry the same warrantee. Dr. Dater has OUTSTANDING prices and customer service. AWC had great customer service, horrible prices. For the MAC's the Viper is the best way to go, hands down. You can screw it on and forget it. You can wrap your paws around it after 7 mag dumps and not get burned... The profile looks WAY cool on the MAC too. IMHO.
    Ammo should never cost more than the magazine it's fired from....

I'm very happy with my Viper-9. I like the ratcheting lock device.

Max-11DF & Viper-9 (YouTube video)

Quote Originally Posted by MallNinja
    I have the Viper 9 and .45 (shoot .45 mostly). I absolutely LOVE the can! It sounds EXACTLY like an impact wrench when doing a mag dump.

When your shooting full auto the heat guard on the can is MUCH needed! So is the locking feature. The MK AWC doesn't have either (that I know of), and this will make life VERY difficult when the can gets hot!

Honestly, the AWC is probably quieter, but you'll be so stinking happy with the Viper you wont know which way is up! Both carry the same warrantee. Dr. Dater has OUTSTANDING prices and customer service. AWC had great customer service, horrible prices. For the MAC's the Viper is the best way to go, hands down. You can screw it on and forget it. You can wrap your paws around it after 7 mag dumps and not get burned... The profile looks WAY cool on the MAC too. IMHO.

If you're going to be out with it soon, can you run a mag through it left handed and post the results of your experience? Another board member is sending me a slow-mo video showing gassing with the Lage upper, of course exiting right where my face would be. If a suppressor is going to exacerbate the situtaion, then I'll "blow off" (ha-ha) the idea of putting a can on it.
    Steve

Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhLYU5GwOw

It's still worth having a can on it if you ask me but you need something to block your face from the gas.

I noticed that the upper in that video doesn't have the normal rear sight with the ears on it, but a picatinny rail extending to the back with a BUIS attached. Is this a prototype or an option?
    Steve

It's an option. You can get both the Max-10 and Max-11 with a flat top if you want.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Between California and Georgia, south of Mississippi and Alabama, but north of Cuba.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS
    If you're going to be out with it soon, can you run a mag through it left handed and post the results of your experience? Another board member is sending me a slow-mo video showing gassing with the Lage upper, of course exiting right where my face would be. If a suppressor is going to exacerbate the situtaion, then I'll "blow off" (ha-ha) the idea of putting a can on it.
    Steve
    Hey Steve, Sorry for not getting back with you until now... Im kinda in the sandbox right now, about 8000 miles from my MAC and Suppressor. All suppressors will throw gas in your face. I mounted my can on another UT member's MAC 10 .45 and it was pretty gassy. Not so bad as to choke you out, but you could tell it was there. Shooting south-paul or not, you're going to get a good bit of gas in your face from shooting suppressed, but its soooo worth it. Go for it bro. After all what's a subgun without a suppressor?

I'm going out with the Uzi and Mk-9 tomorrow and see what it's like......just got this back a couple of weeks ago. I sent my Mk-II to Elite Iron for an integral build and this is what came back to me....yeah, I'm happy!
    Steve

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS
    I'm going out with the Uzi and Mk-9 tomorrow and see what it's like......just got this back a couple of weeks ago. I sent my Mk-II to Elite Iron for an integral build and this is what came back to me....yeah, I'm happy!
    Steve

WOW!!! That is one GOOD LOOKING peice!!! Please tell me how much that cost , how quiet it is, and can the can disassemble for cleaning? I want a intragal (sp) can on my mk-II that is dead quiet and can be taken apart for cleaning. My Pilot (AAC) sounds like a pellet gun. I've heard one intragal can (I think it was a AWC) that had a sound signature that was quieter than my Pilot. I would greatly LOVE a MK-II that sounded like the AWC unit! I just dont feel like forking out over a grand for a .22 pistol! :-)

Does EI sell complete packages, or do you have to send them a host pistol?

Doug

Viper .45

I like the Gemtech Viper better than any other can out there for the M10 in .45, it is great to have somthing to hold on to, and it stays put.

+ Reply to Thread