UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: suomi 50rd coffin mag help

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member

suomi 50rd coffin mag help

ok my friend is working on a project he would like to convert a ar15 lower reciever to use the suomi 50rd coffin mag. so any spec's you can give would be great length width thickness height pix the whole works. i am pretty sure he will have to do alot of cutting and weilding to the mag well area it might turn out ok he is a pretty good fabricator. thanks

Hi - It's been done - Not easy

Hi,

This was done about 8 years ago in SAR IIRC. The problem is getting a manufacturer to put the serial number in a different place. It is currently on the mag well that has to be cut and rewelded. I'm not the best at the regs but BATF says something like "can not alter or move the manufacturers S/N." Now you may be able to get around it by destroying the reciever per BATF specs and rewelding the entire reciever. That would make the welder the manufacturer....I think.

Good Luck,

K2

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    ok someone has to have one of these coffin mags and five minutes to measure it with a ruler for me. hook me up

UZI Talk Life Member
    Sorry, I sold all my coffin mags along with my SCA Soumi upper, but K2 is correct. There was an article in SAR many years back regarding it's use in an AR-15 and the problem with moving the serial number on the magwell due to the width of the magazine.

You might try the SAR index...
    http://www.smallarmsreview.com/Back_..._By_Volume.htm

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas SMG
    Sorry, I sold all my coffin mags along with my SCA Soumi upper, but K2 is correct. There was an article in SAR many years back regarding it's use in an AR-15 and the problem with moving the serial number on the magwell due to the width of the magazine.

You might try the SAR index...
    http://www.smallarmsreview.com/Back_..._By_Volume.htm

thanks for the link Vegas. Jeff is planing on using a ar-45 lower http://www.cncguns.com/projects/AR45lower.html to make the suomi coffin mag work thats why he needs the suomi mag spec to see if it will fit. I like the idea it should be a cool build. It would be nice if it fit in the magwell area with a little work on the mill it will be a clean looking piece and wont look like a hack job

UZI Talk Life Member
    I don't love you enough to search the SAR index, but if you find the issue, I'll dig through years of SARs and pull out that copy if that'll help you.

Sounds like a great project!
    The 50 round capacity in the coffin mags is tremendous fire power in a compact package. Be warned, they are a BITCH to load...

UZI Talk Supporter
    I know capt monty had one of these lowers at the creek a couple years ago.
    Foz
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

IF YOUR NEW WATCH THIS NOW.
    It could save your account

UZI Talk Life Member
    nayo, I have one and can bring it to Malabar next week, let me know.
    AUDE SAPERE

+ Reply to Thread