UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Special Weapons 760

Special Weapons 760

I'm new here; found the site by looking for 760 parts.

First off, I bought a SW 760 2 days ago and am looking to upgrade it a bit.

I have the folding stock, 16" barrel and 5 mags.

I'd like to add a dummy silencer -- is the one in the site photo a real one or a dummy? I have a COBRAY MAC 10 45 2 Stage SIONICS Fake Silencer --, the 9mm barrel will slide inside it -- if I had a short barrel with the 760 nut and threads on the barrel for the Cobray, it might work.

Or, is there a better alternative to the Cobray?

Thanks !

Jim

UZI Talk Life Member
    "Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson's next!!
    Scott Andre Machine might be able to make you a brrel like what you're asking for. You'll have to get a nut from him as well and then have the fake can permanently attached to the barrel. The fake can will probably obstruct your sight picture...keep that in mind.

I'd recommend SBR'ing it and getting a real can. Yes, it costs more money, but you get what you pay for. Scott has barrels that are threaded to accept Uzi and Mac cans and Bowers has some inexpensive cans that work. I'm going with the Uzi setup on mine, as, fter tomorrow, my Uzi will be in the process of getting transferred to me.
    Renounced NRA Lifer

Tax paying, law abiding, gun toting, life loving, GOD fearing
    RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST

Usual Suspect

Thanks.

Just to know -- what all is involved in getting a legal silencer? Not familiar with SBR.....

Jim

first we need to know what state you live in to find out if you can own or use either in your state. no point in progressing if you cant have it.

Iggy

Quote Originally Posted by davvet2
    Thanks.

Just to know -- what all is involved in getting a legal silencer? Not familiar with SBR.....

Jim
    SBR= Short Barrel Rifle

You can buy a silencer from a special operation tax gun dealer. Or from your choice of silencer manufacturer that can be transferred to you, again, from a gun dealer who has paid the extra taxes to handle silencers, machineguns, bazooka's, etc. that will transfer to you on a form 4 after your background check, one time $200 tax, etc has been paid and the NFA Branch approves the paperwork.

Or, you can do what I have always done in regards to silencers and apply to build your own on a Form 1, pay the one time $200 tax, and submit the forms to the NFA Branch. Just be sure to have the approved paperwork in hand before building it.

My reply may leave more questions than answers, but the above answer is the short version.

I'm in Central Texas.

A real silencer would be nice, but I'm not sure I want to jump thru all those hoops. (although I had to jump thru a lot of hoops to get my Concealed Handgun License).

Surly brought up a good point -- using the one I have would block the sights.

If I used a smaller one it would work.........I may just concentrate on getting to know the gun by shooting it more and leaving it in its original configuration.

Thanks,

Jim

TEXAS

Hello Jim
    I am from South Texas. A nfa form 4 has alot less paperwork than the Texas CCL. It does help that I went to school with the sheriff as for as getting the form 4 signed.

Thanks.

I don't know the Sheriff here, have heard he doesn't like silencers or MG's.

I'm still trying to figure out what a SBR has to do with a silencer, aren't they 2 different things?

Jim

UZI Talk Life Member
    "Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson's next!!
    Quote Originally Posted by davvet2
    Thanks.

I don't know the Sheriff here, have heard he doesn't like silencers or MG's.

I'm still trying to figure out what a SBR has to do with a silencer, aren't they 2 different things?

Jim
    You could add a silencer to the 16" barrel, but it will basically double the length of the front of your carbine. I recommended doing the Form 1 and cutting the barrel due to this. Even if you don't get a can the shorter barrel will look correct.

Another alternative would be to make an integrally suppressed barrel assembly that keeps the 16" length to avoid the SBR tax stamp on the carbine.

Here's Scott's site. Maybe some of the other fellas can post some pics for reference. Here's one of my SMG...this is what you'd look like if you SBR'd yours.

Renounced NRA Lifer

Tax paying, law abiding, gun toting, life loving, GOD fearing
    RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST

Usual Suspect

I'm in North Texas & you do not need to purchase an NFA item ie: Machine guns, Suppresors or SBR's from an SOT dealer.

You can purchase any in state NFA item directly from another individual.
    As long as the paperwork is filled out correctly a face to face w/ in your own state is my favorite way to purchase NFA items.

Many times it's less expensive & the transaction is facilitated by your own time frame.

Out of state purchases require an SOT dealer, generally speaking all others can be done face to face.

My experience w/ semi auto 760 type weapons are that they are very finicky and often troublesome.
    All of the examples I have ever fired jammed or simply failed to fire.

If you like the design, save $3,500 more and get the real thing.
    Less troublesome and has a fun switch included.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd love to have a full auto with a suppressor --but-- as I am a disabled Veteran on a fixed income .... can't see it happening....unless the lottery smiles my way and my numbers come up. 'Til then, I'll just try and enjoy what I have.

Jim

Ok...but its an SW760 (semi-auto).
    Haven't owned one of those, so my initial assessment would be that its a carbine and therefore you would need a stamp to SBR it if you removed stock or shortened barrel. You would need a 2nd stamp if you got a real suppressor.

If you got a fake can around a 16 inch length barrel (not on end of it)? No stamp that I can think of and should be like any other fake can MACs out there. Check to know for sure though.

I know we're talking SW760 ....but just as an FYI, let's pretend its an SW76

As far as I know, a registered machine gun trumps SBR.
    An example would be a Stemple 76/45. Its 1 stamp because its full auto, but 2 if it had a suppressor as well.

That's my understanding (but always check with a Class 3 dealer to know for sure though!!)

Im waiting on my transfer for a Stemple 76/45 and its a "2" stamper. One for the suppressor, the other since its a machine gun. NO stamp is needed for its length etc.

~S
    Last edited by whatmanual; 07-12-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Absolutely, a machine gun does trump an SBR.

Barrel length is not regulated on a machine gun because it's already registered anyway.

+ Reply to Thread