UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst 1 24 64 74
Results 1,461 to 1,473 of 1473

Thread: South African R series of weapons information thread (lots of pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by AspektZA View Post
    Lou,

They were purchased on my behalf by a relative from Nobelteq.

Didn't ask after R4/6 tubes, but the safe assumption is 'no'. I can see what I can dig up, but it's unlikely.

Denel did a <500 run of R5 tubes to last them until 2020, when a new rifle will be selected. Probably.
    AspektZA, I am curious to know, are you saying that since you have a family member that works at Noblteq is the only reason you where able to secure the R5 gas tube? Does Nobleteq not sell the R5 gas tubes to the private or general public? In your opinion why do you think Denel only made less than 500 R5 gastubes since it seems that just within SAPS there would be need for more than just 500 R5 gastubes? I could not image the amount the SADF would require to repair at least 1/4 of their R5's in service? I am sure there are a lot of private LM5 owners like you that would like to upgrade their LM5 gastubes to the more correct R5 gastube. Yes please find out if maybe Denel made a run of flared R6 gastubes. Cheers Lou

WCC congrats on your bayonet! I am really jealous. Can you tell us the story on how you came to own such a great piece of SA history? Is the 07 stamp on the catch a serial number (like #7 bayonet made)? It does not show in your picture, but does your bayonet have a heat shield (or shroud) where the cuts for the R4 flash hider sit when the bayonet is in place over the barrel. Thank you for sharing your bayonet with us.

Quote Originally Posted by lcastillo View Post
    AspektZA, I am curious to know, are you saying that since you have a family member that works at Noblteq is the only reason you where able to secure the R5 gas tube? Does Nobleteq not sell the R5 gas tubes to the private or general public? In your opinion why do you think Denel only made less than 500 R5 gastubes since it seems that just within SAPS there would be need for more than just 500 R5 gastubes? I could not image the amount the SADF would require to repair at least 1/4 of their R5's in service? I am sure there are a lot of private LM5 owners like you that would like to upgrade their LM5 gastubes to the more correct R5 gastube. Yes please find out if maybe Denel made a run of flared R6 gastubes. Cheers Lou
    No they were purchased by a private individual from nobelteq.

This is just the information I heard from the main LM smith at nobelteq.

What I was told was that they planned to do 1000 but it ended being less than that. I doubt that a gas tube is something that needs to be replaced often in normal service.

I can see about getting more into the US if there's enough interest.

Yeah let us know if any R6 tubes with the lips are being made!

Hey all, been a long time I got an email from Nobleteq to say their new website is now live http://shop.nobleteq.com/ and they are selling parts! Happy shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by lcastillo View Post
    WCC congrats on your bayonet! I am really jealous. Can you tell us the story on how you came to own such a great piece of SA history? Is the 07 stamp on the catch a serial number (like #7 bayonet made)? It does not show in your picture, but does your bayonet have a heat shield (or shroud) where the cuts for the R4 flash hider sit when the bayonet is in place over the barrel. Thank you for sharing your bayonet with us.
    The bayonet has a metal tube at the front which acts as a stop for the R4/5 flash hider. Yea, it has a heat shield.
    Unfortunately I don't know what the numer indicates - it is stamped on the clip, so perhaps plausible that it is specific to the clip being added.

This book has been published about firearms developed and made in South Africa. It is very comprehensive. I managed to pick up a copy and can highly recommend it if you can get yourself one. There is alot of information on the CR-21 as well as the R4, R5, R6 and LM rifles with some comparisons to the Galil.

https://youtu.be/C-hxiHJvjJs

Some teasers from Jeff re: my US LM5 -

Barrel is 16" OAL with pinned brake. Was done as a compromise between aesthetics/muzzle velocity.

http://imgur.com/a/xk80i
    Last edited by AspektZA; 05-10-2017 at 07:41 PM.

A little off topic. You guys may be interested to know that there are alot of ex IMI Gallil rifles on their way to SA soon. A local gun shop told me that they ordered 75.

That's a lot of CR-21's in one place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1KmQa_Qptc

Norinco hunters-- I used up my R4/R5 parts

UZI Talk Life Member
    Very nice.

Hi all,
    I am doing a galil SAR to R5/LM5 conversion but cant find any pictures of vektor or denel trademarks.
    Can someone with a R5/LM5 show me the trades and where they are?
    It will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    S.
    Last edited by Oubaard; 02-13-2018 at 11:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread