UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst 1 4 14 24 64 75 LastLast

Thread: South African R series of weapons information thread (lots of pictures)

LM-4?
    Attached Images  

Greetings Ruski and Ady, I was curious to ask you two, is there a break-in procedure for the new barrel on a series R or LM rifle? And if so what is that procedure? Do you guys usually polish up your barrel cylinders for better cycling? If so what type of tools do you use to achieve that? Have you guys ever heard of or personally had any ammunition fail to extract and get stuck in the barrel? Are there any tips or basic modifications that you guys perform to your rifles in S.A. that we in the USA might not be aware of? Especially since you guys really do use your rifles in the line of duty or to go out in the bush? do you modify your safety in any way to make it operate smoother or to help the left side thumb safety engage or disengage easier? I have heard of stories of soldiers using parachute cord on the safety for better control and as to not give away position with the loud "Click"? Thank Guys! Lou

Hi Lou

The top pic looks like it doesn't have a R series gas tube, but anything is possible. I haven't seen gas tubes like that here.

As far as i know there isn't a break-in procedure, i would assume you could break the barrel in like a hunting rifle if you wanted to. R series rifles belong to government and they get abused. No one cares. My LM was second hand so who knows what happened to it. You don't see new LM's but i can't imagine many rifles were broken in. My barrel still smells new after a long shoot on the range. I haven't polished anything, don't know of anyone who has. I have only ever seen one cycling problem with these rifles and it was due to user stupidity. The military cleaning kit did have a tool in it to extract broken brass from the chamber so it must have happened enough for them to include the tool in the kit, shout if you want a pic. The one occasion i did see a rifle jam was due to a kinked round that had been fed into the chamber and it was a nightmare getting out, but it came out in one piece, perhaps the rounds used to break off in such a situation, hence the tool.

I haven't heard about the para cord on the safety. I haven't seen anyone modify the safety catch either. I don't think our troops worried to much about the click, they either hit contact and the click sound didn't make a difference or they were in ambush and safety's were off. Alot of the troops in the border war didn't see any action, they mostly patroled and tried to follow tracks or came to a village / shona and the terrs were long gone or had melted into the general population of the villagers. From what i have read most action was seen by 32 battalion, recces, parabats and 61 mechanised. Family and friends that were on the border never saw action, infact they say it was a waste of time being there. I think for political reasons of the time the SADF wanted to keep white men out of harms way as much as possible so as not to loose favour with the folks back home and thats why 32 battalion saw more action.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
    Hi Lou

The top pic looks like it doesn't have a R series gas tube, but anything is possible. I haven't seen gas tubes like that here.

As far as i know there isn't a break-in procedure, i would assume you could break the barrel in like a hunting rifle if you wanted to. R series rifles belong to government and they get abused. No one cares. My LM was second hand so who knows what happened to it. You don't see new LM's but i can't imagine many rifles were broken in. My barrel still smells new after a long shoot on the range. I haven't polished anything, don't know of anyone who has. I have only ever seen one cycling problem with these rifles and it was due to user stupidity. The military cleaning kit did have a tool in it to extract broken brass from the chamber so it must have happened enough for them to include the tool in the kit, shout if you want a pic. The one occasion i did see a rifle jam was due to a kinked round that had been fed into the chamber and it was a nightmare getting out, but it came out in one piece, perhaps the rounds used to break off in such a situation, hence the tool.

I haven't heard about the para cord on the safety. I haven't seen anyone modify the safety catch either. I don't think our troops worried to much about the click, they either hit contact and the click sound didn't make a difference or they were in ambush and safety's were off. Alot of the troops in the border war didn't see any action, they mostly patroled and tried to follow tracks or came to a village / shona and the terrs were long gone or had melted into the general population of the villagers. From what i have read most action was seen by 32 battalion, recces, parabats and 61 mechanised. Family and friends that were on the border never saw action, infact they say it was a waste of time being there. I think for political reasons of the time the SADF wanted to keep white men out of harms way as much as possible so as not to loose favour with the folks back home and thats why 32 battalion saw more action.

Hope this helps.
    ADY, The top pic above does have the correct gas tube (R4); you can also look at page 1 of this thread for good close-up [ics.

The rifle at the top of this page has all the correct features to be an LM4 (gas tube, handguard, receiver cut out, stock, magazine, front sight hood). The rifle does not have the third pin for the safety sear (auto-sear) which all R4s have and only some LM4s have as we have seen in this thread.

I have heard of some South African troops slightly bending the tip of the safety lever (a delicate operation since you may make the rifle unsafe if you mess it up) or wrapping it in fishing line. I agree with Adipose, check the first few pages of this thread for detailed pictures to ID parts, it is what I made them for. If anyone has any corrections or new parts/features to post please add them.

Hi I'm new to the site. Do any of you know where i can purchase a LM5 or R5 in South Africa. Please send links if possible. Thanks.

Do you know where i can purchase an R5 or LM5 in SA. Please send links. Thanx.

Hey Manuel, welcome, pop onto www.gunsite.co.za, go into the forums and scroll down the lists to guns for sale, they are pricey at the moment though, the guys want to mmuch for a looked after one.

Looking at getting hold of Nobleteq to buy but they only really deal in bulk or if you have the cash in your hand. I hear you can get them for about half the going rate if you buy from Nobleteq. If you browse the gunsite forums they will give you info on getting hold of Nobleteq, apparently if you call them up, say, this is the gunshop to send to, where do i pay the money to, they will send one out.

For those who don't know, apparently Nobleteq bought Lyttletons stock when they closed their doors some years ago, i don'tknow how much they have left but apparently some still in packing grease.

Thank you for repsonse i will follow up get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by manuel1000 View Post
    Do you know where i can purchase an R5 or LM5 in SA. Please send links. Thanx.
    Like Ruski says they are out there, but expect to pay around R14k. Get hold of Peet or Lukas at Nobelteq their number is 012-6613224. They have been helpful in the past

Thanks Ady for the number

Lou, my man, making the selector quieter, a couple of weeks back, stuck in the bush, in an OP, dead quiet, pitch black, my partner trained up into the open field, im trained into the brush and bushes we are in and the field behind us looking for any movement, I hear what sounds like footsteps, and i tell you, THE LOUDEST DAM SOUND IN THE WORLD is selecting auto fire, but if you do it slowly and hold the lever, its ok, but breath holding stuff. Anyway, when i can afford my own LM4 i will look into methods of smoothign out and quieting down.

As for run in, some of the shotist like to do 90 rnds (3 boxes) before they shoot in competition, fortunately our practice events are usually 4-5 boxes, so everyones happy. We did have a situation a couple of months back, the soldiers got back a crate of 30 refurbed redone, rebuild R4's from the government armouries contractors and they where assigned to the shooting teams, lucky guys, but someone with brass needed more rifles for a new recruit training excercise so they 'borrowed' these new rifles with a promise that they wouldnt do any shooting with them, they would be just to make the students sweat while running! unfortunately, there was a mix up and the rifles went to the OPFOR team who was supposed to put the guys through their paces, they put about 1200 rnds through the barrels on full auto each to get the troops used to the sound of gun fire on a battle field, completely ruined all the weapons, white barrels..... needed to go back to the smiths.

But basically, as you can see, my R5 barrel is a 01-92, so its quite young in camparison, but as ady said, you NEVER know what happened to it before you had it.

Thanks Ady for the number

Lou, my man, making the selector quieter, a couple of weeks back, stuck in the bush, in an OP, dead quiet, pitch black, my partner trained up into the open field, im trained into the brush and bushes we are in and the field behind us looking for any movement, I hear what sounds like footsteps, and i tell you, THE LOUDEST DAM SOUND IN THE WORLD is selecting auto fire, but if you do it slowly and hold the lever, its ok, but breath holding stuff. Anyway, when i can afford my own LM4 i will look into methods of smoothign out and quieting down.

As for run in, some of the shotist like to do 90 rnds (3 boxes) before they shoot in competition, fortunately our practice events are usually 4-5 boxes, so everyones happy. We did have a situation a couple of months back, the soldiers got back a crate of 30 refurbed redone, rebuild R4's from the government armouries contractors and they where assigned to the shooting teams, lucky guys, but someone with brass needed more rifles for a new recruit training excercise so they 'borrowed' these new rifles with a promise that they wouldnt do any shooting with them, they would be just to make the students sweat while running! unfortunately, there was a mix up and the rifles went to the OPFOR team who was supposed to put the guys through their paces, they put about 1200 rnds through the barrels on full auto each to get the troops used to the sound of gun fire on a battle field, completely ruined all the weapons, white barrels..... needed to go back to the smiths.

But basically, as you can see, my R5 barrel is a 01-92, so its quite young in camparison, but as ady said, you NEVER know what happened to it before you had it.

R5 Flashider

Ruski,

Have you ever taken your flashider off? I notice in the pictures of R5 flash-hiders there is what appears to be a set screw or allen head at the rear of the flash hider. Is that to hold the flashider in place and preventing loosening of the flashider. Do you unscrew that and then unscrew the flash hider. Or is the flash-hider staked into the barrel?

From the reaserch I have done, It appears that the R5 flashider is unique because the R5 & R6 was designed not to support rifle propelled grenades. The function of the metal band/rib around the birdcage is to prevent proper seating of a grenade on the R5/6 flashider. I am going to assuming that the flashider is staked to prevent some jack-ass from switching flashiders in the field and blowing himself up?

Here is a pic courtesy of MRF2
    Attached Images  

WOW!

Ruski,
    When I was looking for a R5 flashider I ran across this picture. Was this a joke?

It said in the caption that a Captian was using his R5 to mark the scene of a traffic accident in Pretoria. That hurts! Please de-bunk Take care Lou
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ruski5181 View Post
    Hey Manuel, welcome, pop onto www.gunsite.co.za, go into the forums and scroll down the lists to guns for sale, they are pricey at the moment though, the guys want to mmuch for a looked after one.

Looking at getting hold of Nobleteq to buy but they only really deal in bulk or if you have the cash in your hand. I hear you can get them for about half the going rate if you buy from Nobleteq. If you browse the gunsite forums they will give you info on getting hold of Nobleteq, apparently if you call them up, say, this is the gunshop to send to, where do i pay the money to, they will send one out.

For those who don't know, apparently Nobleteq bought Lyttletons stock when they closed their doors some years ago, i don'tknow how much they have left but apparently some still in packing grease.
    New LM's from Nobleteq are going at around R16500-00 retail, getting rifles from them sometimes take time though. Vektor is still up and running and still produce new LM/R rifles but not for domestic sales.

Quote Originally Posted by lcastillo View Post
    Ruski,
    When I was looking for a R5 flashider I ran across this picture. Was this a joke?

It said in the caption that a Captian was using his R5 to mark the scene of a traffic accident in Pretoria. That hurts! Please de-bunk Take care Lou
    Nah, it's not a joke, it realy hapened. The Captain is stationed at the very same station where I started out in the force.

Hi Lou

The flash hider on my LM5 comes off ( I assume its the same for the R5), Just loosen the set screw with a allen key and the flash hider screws off. As easy as that.

As far as your pic goes, it wouldn't surprise me that the SAPS member was using his barrel to mark off the accident scene, like i said above, its a government weapon and no one cares. TIA Lou. (This Is Africa). Theres a bute of a pic with a SAPS member sitting on the barrel of his shotgun (business end in his end).

TH i hope that member got a tongue lashing. I would have thaught that Vektor would sell LM's locally. There seems to be a huge demand for them. I didn't know they were producing LM / R series rifles again. I was told they had stopped production. Was that true or did they stop at one time and then start up again? I was under the impression they had stopped production and Nobelteq baught up all their stocks with the aim of putting rifles together with all the bits and pieces they baught from Vektor / Denel.

Lou-

The R-5 flash hider is actually a copy of the early Israeli SAR flash hider (if you look at the first post you'll see that most South African parts are a late 1970s version of Israeli parts) and they are one of the easier parts to find (give APEX a call, they may have one). I think it is screwed and staked on to keep it on the rifle during full auto fire. I am not 100% sure why the bulge is there, it may be to prevent rifle grenade use but it may have something to do with flash hiders cracking along the slots, the gas pressure (and erosion) at the slots would be much higher than a on the 18" barrel which might cause the FH to crack early.

Hey guys thanks for the replies on the R5, I really thought it might be a joke because they said the member was a Captain. TIA man! Ady does Nobleteq sell parts or spares for R & LM's? I asked Ruski and he seems to think they do. Have you purchased any parts from Nobleteq personally ( I guess you know what I'm going to ask next)? here it is: Do you think they might have spare front sight hoods? Thanks for the info on the flash hider BTW. That solves the mystery for me. TH are you still a active lawman in S.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by mrf2 View Post
    Lou-

The R-5 flash hider is actually a copy of the early Israeli SAR flash hider (if you look at the first post you'll see that most South African parts are a late 1970s version of Israeli parts) and they are one of the easier parts to find (give APEX a call, they may have one). I think it is screwed and staked on to keep it on the rifle during full auto fire. I am not 100% sure why the bulge is there, it may be to prevent rifle grenade use but it may have something to do with flash hiders cracking along the slots, the gas pressure (and erosion) at the slots would be much higher than a on the 18" barrel which might cause the FH to crack early.
    MRF2, I saw that in your post. I also saw that those flashiders with the bulge also came with the round holes drilled into it instead of the birdcage slots. I am still trying to educate myself and ask the questions. I did send your picture to Grant at APEX to see if he can dig one up. I do have a flash hider already for my R5 build, I am trying to get another one for my cousin in Honduras. He wants one for his Galil SAR

+ Reply to Thread