UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 1 3 13 53 75 LastLast

Thread: South African R series of weapons information thread (lots of pictures)

Hi there, just joined your forum, very nice and very informative. Asa former South African Police K9 officer and a arms collector, i have a great deal of knowledge and experience with our local made LIW/Vektor Galil clones. I know some of the former LIW employees, thus feel free to raise any questions with regards to our local made rifles.

The number in the little circle on the SA made polymer magazines is in fact not a manufacture date, but rather the mold number.

Welkom duiwel hond, hier is n paar saffers wat hier uithang.

Hi there Hagar nice to meet you.
    Checked the pics of your Galil with the hybrid color DuraKote finish, looks awesome.
    Here's a pic of my fully tricked out "tacticool" Vektor LM5
    Attached Images  

We even have the same carpet!

I don't have a duracoated Galil, I have a Golani and this IMI.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by hagar; 09-13-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrf2
    The first several thousand rifles in the very late 1970s came from Israel and were used in front line units until local production took over. Pictures from the very early 1980s show stock Israeli ARMs (including parkerized barrel and gas tube components) with the longer wood handguard. These rifles from Israel also had the scope mount on the left side of the receiver (SA made rifles had a second lightning cut instead of the scope mount).
    Were these early R4/R5's stamped with Israeli markings and IDF crest, too? (For example, it appears that some Guatemalan rifles display a random combination of IMI markings.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruddiger
    Were these early R4/R5's stamped with Israeli markings and IDF crest, too? (For example, it appears that some Guatemalan rifles display a random combination of IMI markings.)

Good question, I honstly do not know. I have yet to see a picture with enough detail to prove anything. I do know they came with scope mounts, S/A/R selector markings but with lines insted of dots on the left side. I would imagine that they did not have the IDF crest though (like the early Belgian made South African FALs) but honestly I don't know.

Any SA members seen anything?

Check my post about "Cool video about South African combat shooting with R4/R5s" in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruddiger

It looks like I just purchased one of these receivers after further inspection.

The only difference is, someone milled the dovetail scopemount area into the lightning cut on the left side (what a bummer). But I'm still happy about the purchase.

Based on the double lightning cut; i would say this was a SA receiver.

But the question is; why the stamping in Hebrew (thought that would only apply to Izzy rifles in Israel).
    Attached Images    

I think that South Africa was the first country to ask for no scope mount and after that (since they ordered large numbers) it became an option. Several other countries may have picked that option as well if they didn't think they would use optical sights on their rifles. All SA rifles I have seen close pictures of have standard English markings. No SA rifles have a crest or other national marking on them, only a serial number and selector markings.

Now some SA rifles and parts did make it to South America and other parts of Africa, especialy in the mid 1990s when the arms embargos were lifted and the SANDF was not buying any more rifles, excess rifles and parts were sold off to other countries.

Banned
    Those efficient and powerful weapons will be a good medecine on islamist animals and their fucked supports

loner42
    Quote Originally Posted by adipose
    It looks like I just purchased one of these receivers after further inspection.

The only difference is, someone milled the dovetail scopemount area into the lightning cut on the left side (what a bummer). But I'm still happy about the purchase.

Based on the double lightning cut; i would say this was a SA receiver.

But the question is; why the stamping in Hebrew (thought that would only apply to Izzy rifles in Israel).
    How is it that the receiver stubs you're showing have a vertical cut on the right side, but a diagonal cut on the left side ? Is it 2 different sets ?

Also was wondering if you have any concerns with legalities , if you plan to do a reweld with those, with only one demill cut on them ?

Quote Originally Posted by loner42
    How is it that the receiver stubs you're showing have a vertical cut on the right side, but a diagonal cut on the left side ? Is it 2 different sets ?

Also was wondering if you have any concerns with legalities , if you plan to do a reweld with those, with only one demill cut on them ?
    Have no explanation on the cuts other than it is the matching pieces. Maybe it was cut on a Monday after a rough weekend or the person got a phone call in the middle of the cuts.

As of now, those 2 pieces are scrap metal. When it is welded together, it will only have the features of making it a legal semi-auto.

It will have a serial number given to it and when shipped to my FFL, I will have to register it under my name.

That is no different than if you get a block of 4140 and machine a receiver yourself with the proper legal working features. Once it is a fully function to spec part; it needs to be registered to be legal.

This receiver was de-milled over 15 years ago. Today if you de-mill, there is a whole diffirent set of guidelines to follow; although I have seen some for sale that make me wonder.

Here are some R4's being carried by a current Field Artillery Bn.
    Attached Images    

loner42
    If they have to put their fingers in their ears when someone shoots a 5.56............I wonder what they do when they fire their artillery piece ?

That fine military specimen on the far right (bottom photo, fingers in ears) reminds me of our support troopies when I was in the Louisiana NG.

Nice thread and forums!!!!

I've recently been lucky enough to find a brand new LM5 (semi auto version of the R5). It was stashed away at a small gunshop in a predominantly hunting area in South Africa and as a result had been sitting in the dealers stock for 8 years, still sealed in the bag, along with magazine and owners manual as it came direct from the arms manufacturer Vektor (division of Denel defense systems) after being made in 2003.

Below are some pictures of my new rifle.

The day she arrived at my local dealer after being transferred from original dealer:

I took her home after licensing was done:

About an hour later, with FAB Defense railed fore-end and rear grip fitted:

I got to take her home on the 21/10/2011 and took her shooting on the 22nd and 23rd. What a beautiful rifle to shoot!

Prodigal,

VERY nice rifle! One of my dream guns for sure!!!

Interesting that the receiver is drilled for the auto sear. I'm sure S. African gun laws are different than ours.

Take more pictures and let us know how she shoots!

Thanks for sharing!

Yog

Veritas? Where are you? states? cause im in South Africa, looking for an LM4 or LM5
    Prodigal, very lovely rifle, Jealous that i didnt find it first! That grip is great, i want to get one when i find my LM
    Last edited by ruski5181; 01-27-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Please please guys, asking really nicely, I know I look great in uniform but please dont copy any of these pictures, we are not allowed to send out pictures of us working actively without media branches consent, this is for the sake of showing of the R5's... Please just look!

Last edited by ruski5181; 02-02-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Again, please, look but dont copy or save, please

Last edited by ruski5181; 02-02-2012 at 01:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread