UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 75 FirstFirst 1 6 16 56 75 LastLast

Thread: South African R series of weapons information thread (lots of pictures)

Ruski,
    Awesome pics; thanks for sharing.

Here is some SA ammo I have in using in my Galils.

Also you mentioned you like the orlite magazines? Do you want me to send you (2) to try out?

Name:  IMG_4007.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  64.7 KBAttachment 20117Name:  001 (1).jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  27.5 KB
    Attached Images  

Ruski, Thanks for posting the pictures of your rifle. It sure is a nice weapon. I am surprised that the rifle does not come with a bayonet lug? I think this is a first for everybody here to see shots of you R series Galil up close I see that your department had the SAPS crest laser engraved on the reciever. Was that done at the Denel factory or was it done after the rifle was purchased by the department? For Christ sakes! take Adipose's offer for Orlites! These pictures will help my reasearch on the factory markings I am trying to slowly put together. I was on the SAPS Gov website and I was curious, on the requirements to be a reserve officer you cannot be a private security officer or a journalist, why is that? Cheers Lou

Lou,
    The R series were developed without bayonet lugs. If you read the first 2 pages of this dedicated post on the R-series; there is a lot of pics showing the distinct differences of the rifles. The one item they forgot to post; is the fact on the R4 bipod's; their feet are much larger than their ARM Israeli counterparts.

The top of page 2; is the 2 clones I bought from RM308; then making the R5 more correct.

Quote Originally Posted by adipose View Post
    Lou,
    The R series were developed without bayonet lugs. If you read the first 2 pages of this dedicated post on the R-series; there is a lot of pics showing the distinct differences of the rifles. The one item they forgot to post; is the fact on the R4 bipod's; their feet are much larger than their ARM Israeli counterparts.

The top of page 2; is the 2 clones I bought from RM308; then making the R5 more correct.
    Yeah I should have known to go back and reference the first part of the thread. My mind does not think that way, I'm goofy that way. I was looking at the picture of the bottom of Ruski's gas block and saw the serial number was engraved where the bayonet lug would go and thats where I decided to ask the question. You have a nice collection yourself Adipose. How long have you been collecting R series stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by lcastillo View Post
    Yeah I should have known to go back and reference the first part of the thread. My mind does not think that way, I'm goofy that way. I was looking at the picture of the bottom of Ruski's gas block and saw the serial number was engraved where the bayonet lug would go and thats where I decided to ask the question. You have a nice collection yourself Adipose. How long have you been collecting R series stuff?
    Just got down talking to someone in South Africa a few minutes ago. He says I should put a 50 round mag with my R5; like the Koevoet (SWAPOLCOIN) fighters did back in the bush war with their R5's.

South Africa considers the firearm the barrel (were we consider the receiver). I usually see the s/N on the barrel hidden under the gas tube or on the bottom of the gas block. Its strange to see all of the parts above showing the S/N in multiply locations.

I have been collecting for a year and a half; but buying the 2 clones made my search go a lot easier.

Here is some of the items.

The best was getting the R4 black handguard for 20.00; although, most was not a steal.
    Attached Images      

Adipose, i ain't gonna ask where you got government issued ammo from, lol Thats hilarious, even we struggle to get. And in 7.62mm (1981, Cape Town Plant), i know we have stock piles from the R1 days but dam! As for the still sealed bag of 1983 ammo manufactured at the Cape Town plant, wow, thats good stuff! We usually use 86 ior so. Your offer of magsis really nice, If those are the 2 mags in the picture, i do have one like the top one, (ps, i know lcastillo is looking for one, i was going to send him mine) but the bottom one i have never seen before and would really like to take you up on that offer!

In fact, something i wanted to point out in my pics you will see 2 of the brown boxes that come out of those plastic sealed bags, one is 1986 and one is 2010..

Lou, I will try borrow a buddy's camera and take some high res ones for you, yeah as you can see our serial numbers are stamped along the underside of the gas block, about a year ago they recalled all our rifles, they went to armoury to comply with our new gun laws, the old law said that the barrel wa sthe firearm, cause of our situation in the 80's people used to make guns out of any piece of pipe they could find so they could shoot at cops, so the law said, if it has a barrel it must be seriallised and registered. The new law, i dunno, i think they think every gun is a stupid glock, cause its frame barrel and rceiver/slide and firing pin that make up a gun, so they all need to have matching serials, (good luck getting me to engrave a serial on my .45 idiots) So the rifles went in and they laser engraved the weapons serials on alllll the parts! which sucks for us competition shotist who like to play with firing pins and bolts dependng on the year of ammo.... but anyways, they added the SAPS badge too so that you can glance at the weapon and see its a police one and not a civvie version, (apart from the A setting).

Abot the reservists.. we are quote a tight group, our laws are tricky, but basically private secuirty work or rent a cop, they don't like you to be mixed up with national police,, bullet proofs, ammo, police id's, we had some bad situations, security gaurds identifying themselves as police... just didn't work, so they clamped down on that.

Media... our South African Police Service act, the national act says that there is an access to information act clause that applies specifically to us, we do not tal to the media, EVER! each station has a dedicated media liason officer who is trained to talk to the press and sends out press releases, the rest of us, can be charged if we talk to the press. Also we try to make it a safety thing, our job is dangerous, sometimes we bust heavy crims, if they then see you reading the news... well, could end badly for you.

OMG adipose, you collection is truely amazing, i wish i had the money and the ability to get licences for those... really pretty! Yeah on last weeks shoot i learnt i need toget a Green flat sling, or the blue version, to be National combat rifle compliant, you may not purchase a sling or use a civilian one, ( i use a 3 point tacticla sling on duty that i was using to shoot) apparently its a no no

PS, if you guys are ever looking for things like handgaurds etc, let me know, i will keep my eyes open on the local market

X2 with Ruski! Holy S**T Adipose. I think you have more R's than the Capetown Police So did you put some of those together or do you have Jeff build them to your spec? I am glad to have conversations with Ruski, A lot of great information! Your offer to send him a Orlite magazine is very generous. Good for you man. I sent him a drop leg blow-out med bag already. I also dropped a couple of more goodies ( i won't tell they are a surprise) in the box. I a man after your own heart too.

Quote Originally Posted by ruski5181 View Post
    OMG adipose, you collection is truely amazing, i wish i had the money and the ability to get licences for those... really pretty! Yeah on last weeks shoot i learnt i need toget a Green flat sling, or the blue version, to be National combat rifle compliant, you may not purchase a sling or use a civilian one, ( i use a 3 point tacticla sling on duty that i was using to shoot) apparently its a no no

PS, if you guys are ever looking for things like handgaurds etc, let me know, i will keep my eyes open on the local market
    Can you use a flat green sling like in my pictures above of a R4 sling? Why can't you buy them; how else would you get it?

If you can use a flat R4 sling, I know someone in capetown how has one. Let me know.

Yes, I always looking for handguards; especially if you could get R4 ones.

Adipose on more thing. Do all your R clones come set up with seperate trigger and hammer spring? My Golani has the Tapco2 set and it blows. I have a issue that when I take up the trigger the left side spring arm on the trigger pops out enough that it snaps and causes a uneven trigger pull just before it breaks to realease the hamer. I ordered a IMI trigger and I have to use the one piece spring designed to work with the hammer and trigger. What set up do you prefer?

They sold SA ammo here in the US by the shipload somewhat under the table, thanks to Boet van Staden at Armscor (may I ever get the chance to buy that man a beer). Good read here - http://www.armsdeal-vpo.co.za/articles08/my_round.html

As for myself, I considered it patriotic to buy as much as I could, and I have quite a stash of 7.62X51, a decent stash of .303 and 7.62X39, and not that much of a stash of 5.56X45. Back when it was available I did most of my 5.56 reloading myself, and focused more on the other stuff, which I now regret. Would love just one of those 2700 round cases..
    Last edited by hagar; 02-24-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hagar View Post
    They sold SA ammo here in the US by the shipload somewhat under the table, thanks to Boet van Staden at Armscor (may I ever get the chance to buy that man a beer). Good read here - http://www.armsdeal-vpo.co.za/articles08/my_round.html

As for myself, I considered it patriotic to buy as much as I could, and I have quite a stash of 7.62X51, a decent stash of .303 and 7.62X39, and not that much of a stash of 5.56X45. Back when it was available I did most of my 5.56 reloading myself, and focused more on the other stuff, which I now regret. Would love just one of those 2700 round cases..
    Thats a good story Hagar. I would never have know the story behind the SA ammunition here in the US. I will have to snatch some up when I run across a brick again.

Hopefully going to go pick up my present from Lou today, and Lou, the plastic mag in my pictures is yours if you still want.

Adipose, please if you could send me details, I apparently have to have one for competition now. I will keep eyes open for handgaurds.

Lou, wish it was legal for me to source you a trigger here, dammit the R triggers are smooth and when sniping you slowly release and they have such a lovely click when they catch the bolt... sigh, i love shooting, lol

Hagar! That is so awesome! give that man a bells, lol. i wish i could get ne of those crates for you but unfotunately guys started taking them after practice and selling them on the internet on bidorbuy and gumtree so they now watch you like a hawk around those plastic things!

Ruski, Yes I am interested in the mag! I am checking with a friend that works on AK's and seeing if he can do a trigger job on my Golani. Can you get Flitz paste in SA? Come to think of it I have not seen much SA ammo packed as MRE's lately(meals ready to eat). They must have bought them up fast. At the time I did not buy any because I say the 80's dates on it and the price of ammo was high at the time. I figured if I was going to buy ammo at a higher price to get the fresher dated ammo supply. I did not realize that SA ammo is quality stuff. THanks Lou

Ruski, I sent you an email. Here is a pic of the 2 different types of R4 slings (flat and green). They are 1180 MM long; extended all the way out. The wider one is 58MM wide; the thinner one is 37MM wide.

I laided out my Galil; model 386 next to them for comparison.

The 2nd pic shows the wide slings that came with my R rifles.

Lou, in the picture with the rifles above, only the first one is a R4(clone); which was done by Tenngalil; the rest are regular pre-ban IMI's (5.56-.308 AR/ARM's).

I get both of you more details on the trigger work.
    Attached Images    

Ruski, You might take the H5 that is made in SA to your shoots
    Attached Images  

Yeah Adipose the thicker sling looks like our normal one, they are hard to get hold of by the look of it.

Lou, i have seen one of them before while doing a raid on a gunshop here. unfortunately its not on the SACRA approved list, however its 20 round mag is, I wanna get one or 2

R5's in Action

Here is a great pic I just received from someone in SA.

This picture is from inside a vehicle called a Casspir (APC). The group of fighters were called Koevoet.

Koevoet was quite an outfit -- with a very interesting history. They were the most successful COIN unit of the entire SWA / Angola Border War. There's a wealth of info on the net about them. Their camo and insignia are amazingly valuable.

Notice the R5's painted in brown; along with 50 round magazines. That is the first time in my research, I ever seen 50 round magazines in the field in SA.

Also notice the brown 5.56 battlepack.

I'm assuming the 50 rounders were imported and not produced in SA?
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread